what did i miss??

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer
My out drive is leaking oil where the lower unit meets the upper unit (for lack of a better term, I really don't now what else it is)

I compared the picture in my manual to my lower unit and it looked like I had every seal? What am I missing?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: what did i miss??

there's a little blue quad ring (rubber washer) i think it's called, ya get it with yer mercruiser impeller replacment kit. it goes between the upper and lower. i makes the seal between the upper and the lower......did ya put that in there?

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

no sir i did not. does it go around the entire surface of the lower unit? I thought that there should be something there, but the install instructions didn't even mention it.

ziggy

Admiral

nope, it's just a little oring. the replacment ones i've had are blue from mercruiser. it goes on the starboard side, slightly fwd of the middle of the houseing. it's small, 3/8" dia. maybe......easy to miss.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is a square shouldered "Quad ring" (named for the square cross section of the seal ring) that is about 1/2" OD and sits in a shallow indent in the drive housing just to starboard of the raw water pump and in the lower unit.
I used to have a picture, but can't find it.

B in the picture below is the "Quad ring"

Alphaquadring.png

Last edited:

ziggy

Admiral

a used quad ring......7/16" OD, 3/8" ID.....

IMG_1677.jpg

guess it aint blue. the replacement was orange....not that it matters what color it is i don't suppose really. the blue ones that i was think of are for the drain and vent screws........

Don S

Those blue ones (Merc PN 12-19183) are fiber (laminated paper) washers. The quad ring is rubber. Get the right part.

ziggy

Admiral

i wasn't insinusatein by any means to sub a blue fiber vent/drain washer for a rubber quad ring..............i was sayin i had my brain in low gear dreamin the quad ring was blue. i mixed up the two in my mind untill i went and dug the one in the pic out of the trash so pa could see one. the pic is of a rubber quad ring. there's only one quad ring in the merc impeller sevice pack. two blue drain/vent washers.......hope i didn't give any misconseptions.......do use the right part......

Don S

i wasn't insinusatein by any means to sub a blue fiber vent/drain washer for a rubber quad ring..............

Didn't mean it that way either, just explaining what they are so the OP didn't even TRY to use the wrong one. I have to figure every one reads and/or understands only half the post (like I do 99% of the time :redface:) and starts looking for the easy solution.