how does this work

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Does any one have a good diagram or movie on how theses thing work or operate? Looking to learn more about it since im going to have to replace mine. Mine also has the trim buttons on it and a trailer button to lift the back up all the way.

For some reason I can find tons of boxs online with the trim up and down buttons but not the trailer button. Any one elses have this issue?

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: how does this work

Did I miss something? What exactly are you referring to?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Does any one have a good diagram or movie on how theses thing work or operate? Looking to learn more about it since im going to have to replace mine. Mine also has the trim buttons on it and a trailer button to lift the back up all the way.

For some reason I can find tons of boxs online with the trim up and down buttons but not the trailer button. Any one elses have this issue?

Your talking about a side mount Quicksilver binnacle, probably a Commander Classic. Check your local CL or eBay and see if you can buy a slightly used replacement. BTW, what's wrong with your's that you think it needs replacing?
Shruggingshoulders.gif

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Your talking about a side mount Quicksilver binnacle, probably a Commander Classic. Check your local CL or eBay and see if you can buy a slightly used replacement. BTW, what's wrong with your's that you think it needs replacing?
Shruggingshoulders.gif

its very stiff when going forward or reverse. The mechanic told me that the box was bad and can see it grinding inside, But i dont trust him that much lol. Any way to check to make sure its this and not the cable before i replace and is this a big job?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

its very stiff when going forward or reverse. The mechanic told me that the box was bad and can see it grinding inside, But i dont trust him that much lol. Any way to check to make sure its this and not the cable before i replace and is this a big job?

So he pulled the binnacle off (not a lot of fun as the whole thing has to be disassembled) and showed you the internal "grinding"? There is a cam in there that has been known to break, and can cause the broken part to jam up the works. But you need to see the inside for yourself. Can you post a pic of the binnacle so I/we can make sure which model it is? If it's the Commander Classic, I can tell you how to take it apart...swap out the cables...and put it back together...
1sm088doubleup.gif

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

So he pulled the binnacle off (not a lot of fun as the whole thing has to be disassembled) and showed you the internal "grinding"? There is a cam in there that has been known to break, and can cause the broken part to jam up the works. But you need to see the inside for yourself. Can you post a pic of the binnacle so I/we can make sure which model it is? If it's the Commander Classic, I can tell you how to take it apart...swap out the cables...and put it back together...
1sm088doubleup.gif
dont think so he just told me you could see it. like i said i dont trust the guy. He charged me a bunch for new steering cables which where to short for the boat so you can see it in the corner of the dash by the wheel and it clicks when i turn the wheel to the left.

But yeah im going to take pics later and post thanks for you help.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

dont think so he just told me you could see it. like i said i dont trust the guy. He charged me a bunch for new steering cables which where to short for the boat so you can see it in the corner of the dash by the wheel and it clicks when i turn the wheel to the left.

But yeah im going to take pics later and post thanks for you help.

Is that your other post about "Clicking when turning to the left"? BTW, we call that "turning to port"...:D

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Please...obviously he's referring to the 14 section transmodified Faulkner setup. Most people know it as a primary corstopulund magnifier, but after the last cormian valve was sectioned, the varying phrenic balancer made the post-hypunetic rectifier obsolete. C'mon people...keep up with the times!

**:D:D:D**

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Is that your other post about "Clicking when turning to the left"? BTW, we call that "turning to port"...:D

you are correct..but ,port or left ...uhm... sounds like our iboat brother has more on his mind right now....

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

1sm088doubleup.gif

Sorry for the delay. Yes that was my post about the dam clicking wheel lol. Let me know when you get a chance thats for your help

Attachments

• arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the delay. Yes that was my post about the dam clicking wheel lol. Let me know when you get a chance thats for your help

You guys think this is going to be a big project? How much does it intail and how does it work? Any help would be great

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Press and hold your "throttle only" button. Move the lever to full reverse. Now you should be able to pull out the throttle only button, which will allow you to access the screw that retains the shift lever. Remove the lever, gently pry off the cover plate over the shifter body, this will expose the mounting bolts. From there, it's a piece of cake.