1990 Glastron Futura 227 SL Rebuild

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I've owned this boat for about 10 years and have completely got my monies worth of pleasure out of it. While getting it ready for the winter last fall I noticed that it had fuel leak somewhere under the floor. The wife suggested we give it to donation with a liability letter stating the problem. I mulled it over for a week, started reading forums and decided to at least find the problem.

So here I am:

Here's a picture I took last year while replacing the trailer fenders.
SSPX0059-1-1.jpg

And a shot of it in the water:
P1010004.jpg

Tearing out the floor:
IMG_0993.jpg

There's the cause of the leak, a combination of bad build practices and rotted wood caused a cut in the vent line:
IMG_0995-1.jpg

After reading more and more I decided to give it try. 20+ years ago I helped a friend rebuild his father's Tompson tunnel hull bass boat so I had an idea of level of effort this required. I figured the cost of the materials would be a fraction of the price of a new boat.

The drive came off:
IMG_1031.jpg

And the motor came out:
IMG_1025.jpg

I've hit the 7 image limit, but I've got lots more.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 Glastron Futura 227 SL Rebuild

The fun part, cutting and grinding and cleaning, then repeat for what seems like an eternity.
Overhead.jpg

Piles of fun.
Mess.jpg

Found some cracks in the cabin floor, so it gets some cutting:
IMG_1108.jpg

New wood, 1/2" marine fir with West System epoxy:
IMG_1149.jpg

Fits pretty good:
IMG_1166.jpg

Went to the Dallas boat show and drooled over the new Regal 2300. I better win the lottery soon:
IMG_1137.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I made a jig to help me align things and take measurements:
Grid-In-Boat.jpg

Cut, sealed and sanded some stringers and frames. The stringers are 2 layers of 3/8 marine ply cut 7' and 3' to make the 10' length, then epoxied together. I added a backer layer at the seams:
IMG_1209.jpg

I notched the stringers and frames:
Assembly-On-Hard.jpg

Test fitting:
Assembly-Grid-1.jpg

I used thick epoxy to glue the parts to the hull and 3 layers of 12oz 45/45 biax tape to attach them to the hull:
IMG_1262.jpg

And that's where I'm at. This weekend I plan to lay some more glass capping the stringers with 17 oz biax.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You sir, do fine work.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you ez....mo bee.

Thanks for the site.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Great boat! Love the lines.... Reminds me of Jay's boat he just restored...

When finished you're gonna have a better than new Glastron, and the pride of doing it yourself. Great work so far dude!

Is that a 5.7 for power?

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great boat! Love the lines.... Reminds me of Jay's boat he just restored...

When finished you're gonna have a better than new Glastron, and the pride of doing it yourself. Great work so far dude!

Is that a 5.7 for power?

Thanks cuda. Jay and systemf work circles around me. The stringers and floor were so rotten in the boat that I'm surprised it didn't crack. Oddly enough, the transum is fine. The motor is a 350 mag, 270 hp. It has about 600 hours.

Friscoboater

Captain

This is going to be an awesome thread. See I think the stringers would have been a whipping for me, and I am glad all I had to do was the rear section. Are you going to keep the poly tank or change to Alum?

captkevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is great looking boat - can't wait to watch your progress - good luck

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is going to be an awesome thread. See I think the stringers would have been a whipping for me, and I am glad all I had to do was the rear section. Are you going to keep the poly tank or change to Alum?

I'll reuse the tank. I have new neoprene rubber to set it on and all new filler, vent and feed hose. The hoses will run through the frames via pvc pipe into the bilge to prevent chaffing.
I did more grinding on the hull last night to make the glassing surfaces as smooth as possible. I'm about to go to it.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put in about 10 hours of glass work over the weekend. It doesn't look like much, but it's just another bite off this elephant.

IMG_1308.jpg

I'm working one box at a time. 4 down and a good bit of work to go.

IMG_1312.jpg

I haven't done this kind of work in over 20 years and I didn't have clue of what I was doing back then. I'm laying out 1/2" fillets using epoxy mixed with wood flour. Once the fillet starts to firm up but while it's still wet/sticky I wet out the wood with epoxy mixed with microfibers. Then I lay 3 layers of 6" x 12 oz. tape working around each side in a circular pattern overlapping the ends and offsetting each layer about 1 inch.

IMG_1315.jpg

It tends to bunch up in the corners.

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

Right or wrong, the wood is in and solid as steel.

My illustrious work shop.

IMG_1299.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

I wish I could tell you. My coupler does not look like that at all.

Your in Texas right? What lake do you frequent?

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wish I could tell you. My coupler does not look like that at all.

Your in Texas right? What lake do you frequent?

I'm in Grapevine, so we almost always go to Lake Grapevine. There's 2 ramps a half mile from the house, so...

You mentioned that you used to go to Texhoma with your folks. I grew up in the Sherman/Denison area. Lots of good memories from Texhoma. I used to ski Little Mineral 3-4 times a week as a teen. We probably crossed paths more than once.

I'm getting a new coupler and motor mounts, so I'm just curious as to if this is normal or if I need to keep an eye on something else.

Keep us posted with your City Motor motor. It seemed like a smoking deal. I may have one on the menu soon.

My steering is also gone. Do you still have the yoke from that spare boat you bought? I've been pricing them and, WOW! A new yoke and pin together are close to $1k...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The guys in the I/O forum are GURUS but they don't hang out in the resto section much so I'd suggest throwing a post up in there.

Your glass work continues to be excellent.

Friscoboater

Captain

I have a few parts left. Where exactly is the yoke? I have the complete rear transom plate.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

clock that gig was a great idea and as the guys said your work is excellant. And I can't believe that boat is that old it looks great except the under deck of coarse.(sorry about the spelling)