Old gas? What would you do?

Fxe-77

Recruit
What do you all do with yer old left over gas? I got like 15 gallons of this. Can you run it in your car or truck?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Old gas? What would you do?

I would and have done it. Not all 15 gallons at one time, mind you. Why just this week, I added 5 gallons of old gas to about 12 gallons of new gas in my dad's 2006 Impala, and experienced NO problems whatsoever.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome aboard,

How old? If it doesn't smell like gas anymore I would
advise against this.

mphy98

Lieutenant

use it with seafoam. It will work fine. OR use it to burn cattails. Just let the vapors flash off first or a big boom and fireball will follow!! I speak from experience on that one. :D

Fly Rod

Commander

I put my old gas in the truck, no problem.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

ditto, I wouldn't waste it.... run it through a bit at a time.... it's not like it turned into water, and with a mixture of old to new, should burn through just fine.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

When I have gas that is getting older, I put it in my car (2-5 gallons) and fill up. No problems.

I typically run it in my snowblower and lawnmower but at 15 gallons, that'll take awhile.

I guess it depends on how old is old. When i say old, I'm talking a year (and it's been treated with stabilizer) but even without, I'd run it in my gas powered garden equipment/mower/blowers, etc.

Fxe-77

Recruit

It s a few years old, Has seafoam and gas saver in it. Suprizingly the boat fired right up with it but not gonna run it. Thanks for the info. Glad to be aboard.
Still smells like gas too and not shellac.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Bit at a time in the truck

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ditto ... in my vehicules and I fill up with high test to compensate.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Weve got about 50 gallons of old gas and we dont have a clue what to do with it. It looks about like urine when you put it in a bottle and smells nothing like gas. Im not even sure if its ok to put 5 gallons in our cars/other boats and run it with 15 gallons of good gas. Its at least 2 years old.. Maybe 3..

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Weve got about 50 gallons of old gas and we dont have a clue what to do with it. It looks about like urine when you put it in a bottle and smells nothing like gas. Im not even sure if its ok to put 5 gallons in our cars/other boats and run it with 15 gallons of good gas. Its at least 2 years old.. Maybe 3..
If it doesn't smell like gas don't use it in anything.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Lawn mowers and Gardner tillers love the old gas. The 2cycle oil helps lubricate the cylinders and while your cutting the grass or tilling the gardner. You can have the memories of days on the water with the smell of combustion of the 2 cycle mix fuel!!!:D

cajuncook1

eavega

Lieutenant

Lawn mowers and Gardner tillers love the old gas. The 2cycle oil helps lubricate the cylinders and while your cutting the grass or tilling the gardner.
cajuncook1
+1 vote for using it in lawn equipment. I think my lawnmower would burn rocks if I got them into the tank!

-E

You could wear a BP uniform and then just go dump it into the nearest lake...lol just jokin

gonefishie

Commander

You could wear a BP uniform and then just go dump it into the nearest lake...lol just jokin

That's funny.

eavega said:
I think my lawnmower would burn rocks if I got them into the tank!

sand is a miniature version of rock and you can definetely put it in the tank, let us know the result will ya? :D

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Lawn mowers and Gardner tillers love the old gas. The 2cycle oil helps lubricate the cylinders and while your cutting the grass or tilling the gardner. You can have the memories of days on the water with the smell of combustion of the 2 cycle mix fuel!!!:D

cajuncook1

Nobody said anything about the gas being mixed with oil....just that it was old.

Small air cooled engines are often better run with higher octane gas because it burns cooler.
Old gas and small engines can be a problem.

Better to run it in larger, water cooled stuff. Full sized tractors, pickups etc..

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

use it to start your next beach bonfire. Be sure to post pics.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

About 1/3 at a time, I would dump it in the gas tank of your vehicle.
I wouldn't go over 2 years. Even at that, dump in a bottle of heat into your gas tank when you do.

I've done this before in my 1995 Pickup truck and seen no issues.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Nobody said anything about the gas being mixed with oil....just that it was old.

Small air cooled engines are often better run with higher octane gas because it burns cooler.
Old gas and small engines can be a problem.

Better to run it in larger, water cooled stuff. Full sized tractors, pickups etc..

LOL.....I just assumed everyone has a 2 cycle outboard motor and mixes there gas/oil. My bad!!!!!!!!!! But I have been using the old gas/oil mix from the previous year in my motors and no trouble. But I can certainly see your point!

cajuncook1