40 hp merc dead tach

jr.

Cadet
have a 1994 tracker that the voltage regulater went out on, at the same time the tach quit working. replaced regulator but the rpm guage dont work. now what

Laddies

Banned
Re: 40 hp merc dead tach

You may have burned the blocking diode on the tach circurt up, you didn't list a year

jr.

Cadet

it's a 1994 where is that located on moter? above volt regulator?

Laddies

Banned

It looks like a wire terminal for the regulator, heres the test and a drawing
scan0006.jpg

jr.

Cadet

thanks, went and bought a tach diode block , marina called it a rectifier. dont know where it is located on moter or where.looked off the wires on stator they go into a long round peice prob 4 in long if it helps the serial is 0g058588 a 1994

Laddies

Banned

Looking it up by serial number your engine may not be equiped with one, if you follow the 2 yellow wires from under the flywheel they should come to the blocking diode where they meet the 2 yellow wires from the regulator there will be a 3rd wire fastened to the block it's gray and is the tach lead

jr.

Cadet

u have been a lot of help,if it doesnt have diode what would cause tach not to work, since it quit workin whene volt reg. went out, again thanks allot

Laddies

Banned

You might switch the tach to the other yellow, I guess that a voltage spike might have bhrned the tach out thats what te diode block is suppose to prevent so I guess that might have happened, I have never tried to test for AC voltage on the grey wire at the tach to prove the wire. We prove the wires with A differant tach but the average person don't have one. I will ck for a test procedure later and get back

jr.

Cadet

i followed the yellow wires off the stator they go into volt reg. grey wire comes out of volt reg direct to wiring harness to tach. the volt reg. they gave me is quicksilver 883072t guess its right one, if is u bettin on tach itself? u r a lot of help thanks

jr.

Cadet

were u able to find a test procedure for the tach. u mentioned switching the yellow wire, [for grey wire? ]

Laddies

Banned

Jr, I have looked and can't seem to find the test I was talking about. The part that they sold you is a voltage regulator for sure it has a built in diode, I'm afraid the trouble is the tach, you might remove it from the dash and hook it to the motor with jumper wires before getting a new one, wish I could be more help than that--Bob

jr.

Cadet

u have been a lot of help, i really appreciate it. they didnt tell us the diode was built in the regulator, thanks a bunch