Had a Freak Accident

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Monday I was walking to my service van. I stepped up onto the sidewalk over the curb. I had my jug of freon in one hand, and my tools in the other. As I stepped up, my head went into a low lying treebranch. It was one of those narley branches and it got my hair tangled up in it. My body kept going forward, but my head didn't. Dang near fell, but stumbled a bit. It snapped my head and neck sideways. My tongue went numb and severe pain in my neck. I made it the last 15' to my van. Laid down for about 5 minuets it went away. I was fine for the rest of the day. I joked to my boss because last year the same thing happened to him, but he had to have 10 stitches on his head..

I got up the next morning and about fell to the floor. My right knee felt like gravel in it. I limped around all day thinking that it would go away. Boss saw me today and told me to fill out an accident report. So I did and went to the doc. They xray'd it and then told me that I had to have an MRI. Doc tells me that I probably will need surgery to fix it. He put me on a no climbing or knealling limitations. Most weight I'm surpose to carry is 20lb. Dang,,,,my tool bag weighs over that! BTW, most of my work is either next to the floor, or up on the roof. Looks like I'll be in the shop for the next few days or weeks.

Here it is, I finally am told when I can take my vacation, and I won't be able to do the things that I want to do. Go figure......

Never had a broken bone or any other stuff than maybe 4 or 5 stitches at a time. All I know is that my knee locks up and hurts just about as bad as getting hit in the crotch. I hope an pray I don't need surgery.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Had a Freak Accident

Awwww, RATZAKRATZA!!

Seems like bad stuff happens to the best people. :(

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Aw Heck Mayfloat. That's a bit of tough luck. But buck up. Most a lot of knee surgeries today are pretty non invasive.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yeah, whats another scar. My skinny white legs with other scars aint gonna matter much. Just as long as I can use them without them locking up. The pain I can tolerate by keeping my mind on my work. After trying to get up off the floor a couple of times because it locked up sucked big time. It sure got attention when I did get it unlocked. It made a loud pop and got lots of attention from others.

The weather here is finally getting decent out enuff to work in. Lots of wood to get, a buds boat to put a floor in (along with everything else with it), and 3 more windows to install in the my house. Sure wish my grandkids where a bit bigger to help out. At least I got one to mow the property once in awhile (fer nuthin even):D

Waffle

Seaman

Hope you get better soon.

Just curious, were you wearing a hat?

KaGee

Admiral

I feel for ya bro. Things just seem to pile on at times. :(

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

SS Dude, tough to find out your not superman :(. Follow the Docs orders and hopefully all will be good a new soon.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

You may not float today, but you mayfloat tommorow. ;)

I hope that you get to feeling better soon.:)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Misery loves company . . . I blew my right knee for the umpteenth time in softball three weeks ago. It was feeling better, so I thought I could play and I messed it up by all things . . . stretching :rolleyes: Another week, seemed good, and I messed it up again on Monday kickng one of the kids balls off the stairs . . . Doh!!! POS, now I can't sit still for 5 minutes without it stiffening up big time. Good luck, I have carp knees, but they always come back and I don't limp and I can still run pretty fast. I am one of the fastest guys on my team and right now I look like an 80 YO . . . I'll be back.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Hope you get it fixed soon, BTDT and it's no fun at all :(

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hope you get better soon.

Just curious, were you wearing a hat?

Nope, no hat....probably would have prevented the accident though.

The owner of the store just had all the trees trimmed up to prevent this. The tree company must have missed one, and of course I would find it.

This morning was a bit more difficult getting out of bed. Neck stiff a bit and a slight headache. (No I didn't drink last night). Work is going to be a bit problamatic. I do a lot of walking and running. If I don't run to and from, I don't get as much done. This feels like an anchor has been thrown out while still underway.

At least this will give me the chance to get the equipment repaired that has been sitting on the bench. Last couple of weeks have been on the road at the stores and not much time at the shop. That is good because I've been getting a bad dose of road rage lately. 500 miles in 3 days and all pretty much city driving.

My boss is going to see if he can see it on the security system. If so I'll try to get him to email me the clip. Then I'll figure out how to post it.

Spinner had to put his sun glasses on when he saw my legs in the bright sun. They aren't much of a pretty sight to say the least.

Thanks for the moral support, you guys are great!:D

treedancer

Commander

Glad your feeling better SS,neck not as stiff ,when the headache is over might want to go to the barber and say.....crew cut.:D

tommays

Admiral

Get better :D

True neck story

i had a tweaked neck :mad: and was waiting for a passing fork truck WITH my hard hat ON

Box of lables falls off and wacks me AND fixes neck :eek:

Tommays

studlymandingo

Commander

Hope you get better soon!

Sometimes this stuff happens to force you to slow down every now and again.

I just got waylaid by food poisoning a couple of weeks ago; forced me to stay in bed for 3 days. I needed to get myself together to take the contractor's exam and if I hadn't slowed down, I would have kept up my 6 1/2 day workweek up until test time, trying to study at night. Might not have passed that way and certainly wouldn't have had time to decompress beforehand.

Take this time to "go lightly", get your shop work done, organize your van, catch up on paperwork, etc. I was GM for a heating and cooling company for several years and started there as a service tech; I know how crazy it gets in the summertime and winter, seems like there isn't enough time to breathe. So take a few days to breathe!​