Johson 115 starting problem

barrrj

Seaman
93 johnson question is, i pump my primer bulb and it gets hard , after trying to start it a few times, it almost catches then i check the primer bulb and it is soft again, should it be soft? or stay hard? do i have a air leak somewhere? I dont see any fuel dripping from any hoses etc.

Thanks,

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Johson 115 starting problem

The primer ball does not stay hard.

barrrj

Seaman

Thanks everyone, don't know how long things would take to figure out if not for eveyone on her helping. Got her started, once i figured out the remote control box , gave her 3/4 throttle and bam, started right up and is running, of course alot of smoke, cause i have oil in with the gas, cause wasnt sure the VRO was working. Nice strong pee stream and now to get to work on everything else.
ONCE again, thanks to everyone and I am sure I will be needing even more help soon

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Do you mean 3/4 throttle on the actual throttle or on the cold start lever ???:eek:

barrrj

Seaman

on the throttle, dont have a cold start lever that I know about lol see newbie, its a single hand control box...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

on the throttle, dont have a cold start lever that I know about lol see newbie, its a single hand control box...

Did you read the link I posted earlier.
Here is a copy and paste from it. The entire article is excellent reading.

"Remote Keyed Ignition

There are two basic types of fuel systems to aid in cold starting. Solenoid activated Choke plates and solenoid primers. The starting procedures are the same for each.

1. Place the motor in fast-idle and in neutral gear. Depending on your remote control box, this is acomplished in one of two manners. If you have a dedicated fast-idle lever pull that up between 3/4 to full. If you have a single-lever control and don't have a fast-idle lever, pull the throttle out to lock the engine in neutral and push the throttle forward. If you have a dual-lever control, leave the shifter in neutral, and advance the throttle.
2. Push the key in, activating the choke plates or primer.
3. Turn the key to start.
4. After the motor begins to run, release the key so it returns to the run position and disengages the choke/primer.
5. As the motor begins to stumble, bump the key in activating the choke/primer. You may need to do this several times until the motor can fast-idle on its own.
6. If you tilted your motor up for cold-start, lower the motor to its normal operating position.
7. Visually inspect tell-tale for solid stream indicating proper cooling.
8. As the motor warms up, slowly begin reducing the fast-idle until the motor is able to run in normal idle on its own.

It's a riveting read !!:)

barrrj

Seaman

Yup read that, thats how I figured out how to start it correctly :D