Adding to my list of problems

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the boat running great and then all of a sudden I hear a grumbling coming from behind the engine. I pulled off the outdrive (Alpha one) and when I looked in to see the gimbal bearing the bellows was filled with rusty water, the u joints are rusty and the gimball bearing can not even be moved by hand. Here are my questions, can water get in there if the bellows are good, can the gimbal be replaced without removing the bellow, can the average guy replace u joints and what else should I check or replace while I am in there? Im going out to shoot some pics now. thanks

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Adding to my list of problems

well the bellows is supposed to be watertight no water allowed in that area.
sounds like you need a new bellows first if it let water in something went bad. Sounds like youll need the transom kit comes with all bellows gimbal bearing and etc. the bellows will require a bellows expander tool to make the job much easier, as far as the ujoint replacement is up to you im not sure what tool you might need for that. you also going to need to pull the gimbal bearing out some type of slide hammer if you seaerch the treads many have spoken about it .
get the oem manual and read its at the top of the forum.

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

water can get in there through the hull.
You should inspect:
Gimbal Bearing
U-Joint Shaft Assembly and Cross Bearings
Bell Housing and U-Joint Bellows
Gimbal Housing
Shift Shaft and Shift Shaft Seal
Shift Cable Assembly
Water Passage and Water Hose
Engine Alignment

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ordered a transom kit that comes with the gimbal bearing and bellows etc. I will be attempting this job myself as soon as the parts come in. Here are the pics of what I have now.
005-9.jpg

006-11.jpg

010-7.jpg

My game plan for tomorrow is to remove the bellows, gimbal bearing, replace the water pump impeller and paint the outdrive.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That's a Nasty lookin' transom assembley....

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

From looking at your pictures that boat has been neglected for a long time and you got your work cut out for yourself:(

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Salt Water Long Island NY.....
that's why I pull the drive off every fall and check the bellows for water and lube the ujoints and gimble...
One year I had a small leak in the bellows...but because it was caught right then...I was able to save the ujoints pumping them full of grease and replaced the gimble...
and also...many people here perfer outboards on smaller boats just for this reason..
as I scraped the last of last years barnacles out of the transom mount... I thought....no more I/Os for me!!!

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea it is nasty to say the least but I think I can bring it back. I ordered two new trim cylinders from sei so that will take care of the water in the trim pump and I will be splitting the drive in half today to see what else is shot in there. Do you guys think I am wasting my time with this outdrive?
001-2.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... At this point,... I'd be Concerned about the transom assembley...

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... At this point,... I'd be Concerned about the transom assembley...

I plan on cleaning up the transom assembly but I cant do much until the parts come in. Is there anything else in the transom assembly I should be checking out?

Bondo

Staff member

I plan on cleaning up the transom assembly but I cant do much until the parts come in. Is there anything else in the transom assembly I should be checking out?

Ayuh,... HOW did the water get In,..??... It's Leakin', Somewhere...

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Vert

Is that the boat that had the 2" thick layer of barnacles on the drive? I would start checking play in the pins etc then tale it apart clean and check everything piece by piece. I wish I would have known yesterday morning you needed a kit, Lighthouse in Riverhead has them on sale for $119 I had gone in the AM and picked one up for myself I would have grabbed one for you too.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... HOW did the water get In,..??... It's Leakin', Somewhere...

You are right about that but the bellows all look good(I will be replacing them all anyway), when I took the outdrive off the o-ring was installed for the sea water tube and I dont think the boat took on enough water to leak in from the gimbal bearing. I know water can get in anywhere but couls there be another culprit?

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Vert

Is that the boat that had the 2" thick layer of barnacles on the drive? I would start checking play in the pins etc then tale it apart clean and check everything piece by piece. I wish I would have known yesterday morning you needed a kit, Lighthouse in Riverhead has them on sale for $119 I had gone in the AM and picked one up for myself I would have grabbed one for you too.

I just ordered the kit so I have plenty of time to take this thing apart and clean it all up. I think it was maintained for a long time and then the guy left it in the water and gave up on it.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I got the trim sender and limit switch off and then I stripped a hinge pin. I guess I will have to weld the tool to the pin and then disregard it?:mad::mad::mad:

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I rotate the bell housing up and down the hinge pin does not move with it. Does that mean I have loosened the loctite and the pin is siezed around the head? The hinge pin is supposed to move with the bell, correct? I just confirmed it, the hinge pin stays still when the bell is moved up and down so the threads are moving.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone seen this before?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey vert,
I just re-read what you posted. if the pin is not moving when you move the bell up and down its then frozen in the Gimbal Ring. Try a little heat on the ring and give the allen a love tap to jar it loose. don't get crazy on it you don't want to break anything.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hopeless, I started drilling them out but it got to dark to finish. I tried heat on the ring, the pins themselves but nothing. I guess tomorrow we will find out. Thanks again Bill for the torch

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Water can enter 2 ways, thru a hole in the boot or clamp rotting away or from inside the boat from a very high bilge water level (pump failure, plug left in, drain hole got clogged)