New Boat Price Negotiatons

wlawler

Recruit
In searching for a new boat, I have done a lot of web research on boat models and manufacturers but have not come across any discussion of price negotiation for new boats. The dealer is quoting MSRP. If boats are like cars, I would not expect to pay MSRP. Anyone care to share experiences? Is there a rule of thumb? I am thinking of a whaler in the $20k-25k range.

NCLakeboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Boat Price Negotiatons

You should be able to negotiate at least a 20% discount off of the MSRP.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The dealer will try to take as much money off you as they can. Negotiating is between you both. If you don't like the price then leave.
E-Mail several dealers and ask them for their lowest "tow it away" price on the same outfits.

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

If a dealer "sniffs" you out as a casual lookie loo, your going to get the MSRP.

Tell him/her...." I am ready to buy today if the price is right, what can you do"

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I always chuckle when I hear these tips. Some of them are laughable.

Want to get the best price? Do your homework. 20% markup...maybe.

You won't get too far trying to play dealer against dealer in the way suggested here. Choose one closest to you because that will be the 'go to' guy when you need work done. And if you jack him around you'll be in a world of hurt if you have to go to him for help later and you didn't buy from him.

My strategy would be to show up a couple of days before the end of the month at the dealer who has the exact rig you want to purchase. (If you've ever been in sales you know why). Bring a nice cash deposit. I don't know how much markup there is in a new boat but it doesn't really matter to me. How much is the boat worth to you? Decide in advance. If it lists for $25K are you prepared to walk away if the dealer won't sell it for 20K? Are you financing? Have that lined up in advance and don't switch from cash price to monthly payment.

There's a bit more but that should get you going in the right direction.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just have to ask, why a new boat? Unless you have your heart set on something shinny off the showroom floor, consider something used. Lots of repos out there as well as private sales with people needing to get rid of their toys. Let the original buyer take the hit on off the lot depreciation. If you do a private sale you can also save a lot on sales tax. regards FRED

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I always chuckle when I hear these tips. Some of them are laughable.
You won't get too far trying to play dealer against dealer in the way suggested here.

Works around here. Maybe not where you are.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

quote "You won't get too far trying to play dealer against dealer in the way suggested here."

I'm in sales and this is the best way to get a good price, until some other supplier offers to sell it to them for less, its just me and the customer talking. I don't take offence or dislike a customer for it, I tend to respect them more because they've done their home work. If I want the sale I know what I need to do to get it.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

quote "You won't get too far trying to play dealer against dealer in the way suggested here."

I'm in sales and this is the best way to get a good price, until some other supplier offers to sell it to them for less, its just me and the customer talking. I don't take offence or dislike a customer for it, I tend to respect them more because they've done their home work. If I want the sale I know what I need to do to get it.

Only if the price you have given isn't already deeply discounted. I typically walk away from customers that play me against other sellers/products. I know that my service and product quality is top notch and I treat my customers like gold. That type of service comes at a price, we don't give product away for free (near cost) and typically my sell price is what it is. Now I'm not in the boat industry, and the economy isn't nearly hitting us as hard.

Now back on topic. Around here boats are already deeply discounted from msrp, mine had an msrp of ~$42K and we pulled it off the lot, taxes and safety gear in, for $28K. Of course it was the previous years model, so was clearance priced. In fact, I think it was the last new boat from the previous year they had too.

Ian

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

So there ya go

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Only if the price you have given isn't already deeply discounted. I typically walk away from customers that play me against other sellers/products. I know that my service and product quality is top notch and I treat my customers like gold. That type of service comes at a price, we don't give product away for free (near cost) and typically my sell price is what it is. Now I'm not in the boat industry, and the economy isn't nearly hitting us as hard.

Now back on topic. Around here boats are already deeply discounted from msrp, mine had an msrp of ~$42K and we pulled it off the lot, taxes and safety gear in, for $28K. Of course it was the previous years model, so was clearance priced. In fact, I think it was the last new boat from the previous year they had too.

Ian

We typically get a higher price for our products too, its due to better tech service and support on products that work very well. Like I said I take no offence at a customer saying this is the price he can get it for some place else, frequently it shows how desperate the competition is. I had a 90% market share before the turn down in the market, it went down some for a while, but its going back up now. None of it is based on lowest price, that's why it dropped for a while.

Politely offer them a low price and see how they respond, all they can do is say no.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Your deal had more to do with the dealer's financial position. Take a look at any dealer's inventory. Those boats didn't just fall out of the sky, and the manufacturer wasn't just being nice and saying 'here...you keep it until you sell it'. Think of the amount of money a dealer has in new inventory. The dealer has a line of credit that he uses to buy inventory. He pays interest monthly but after some point in time the bank wants paid back...in full. Typically those arrangements will be interest only for awhile but after an agreed upon time the dealer must buy the inventory from the bank. No bank will allow a dealer to owe money on a year old new model.

If he has last year's model in inventory he has a huge whole in his cash flow. He's already taken a loss. Now he needs the cash back to run his operation and he's highly motivated to turn that stale inventory.

Savvy dealers already know what they'll sell you that piece for. You can try all of the tricks and games in the world but the dealer who would like to stay in business for more than a couple of years won't lose money to sell you a rig unless it's in his best interest to do so. That's why I suggested you pick out the rig and the dealer, figure out what you're comfortable paying, go late in the month and take a decent cash down payment and buy the boat.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your deal had more to do with the dealer's financial position. .

Absolutely, that was sorta my point. Sorry I kinda missed that, new baby at home, very tired, thoughts not very clear....

I was kinda saying instead of looking at new models, look at last years models. Many dealerships will be eager to move last years or even the previous years new boats.

Ian

wlawler

Recruit

Everyone thanks for your inputs.

Airdvr1227: where do I find information regarding the dealer cost to which I will add 20% markup?

Pine Island Fred: I am looking at used boats also. However my question was about new boats.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Dealer cost is difficult to find. Go in the other direction and take 20% off of the MSRP. Doesn't matter much.

I'll use this Crownline as an example.

MSRP is 45K. First you must know if this is the rig you REALLY want. If it is be prepared to buy it. Have your financing lined up or at least know what payment X dollars is. Never, NEVER switch to payment negotiations! As a salesperson I'll kill you on payments. Know in advance the MOST you are prepared to pay for that rig.

Note the asterist** *Price, if shown, does not include government fees, taxes, dealer vehicle freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). Final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected.

Find out about prep charges and any other fees beforehand and have the salesperson show you how much this 45K rig will be 'out the door'. You'll probably have $3K in sales tax, maybe more. Title fees, doc fees, prep fees and your at $50K before you know it.

Now the fun begins. Everything is negotiable except taxes and state titling fees, most certainly the 'prep' charges. Work backwards from the 'out the door' price. Pull out a nice wad of cash and tell the nice salesperson you'll buy that Crownline today for ???? 40K? 38K? Whatever. You won't hurt his feelings.

wlawler

Recruit

Dealer cost is difficult to find. Go in the other direction and take 20% off of the MSRP. Doesn't matter much.

I'll use this Crownline as an example.

MSRP is 45K. First you must know if this is the rig you REALLY want. If it is be prepared to buy it. Have your financing lined up or at least know what payment X dollars is. Never, NEVER switch to payment negotiations! As a salesperson I'll kill you on payments. Know in advance the MOST you are prepared to pay for that rig.

Note the asterist** *Price, if shown, does not include government fees, taxes, dealer vehicle freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). Final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected.

Find out about prep charges and any other fees beforehand and have the salesperson show you how much this 45K rig will be 'out the door'. You'll probably have $3K in sales tax, maybe more. Title fees, doc fees, prep fees and your at $50K before you know it.

Now the fun begins. Everything is negotiable except taxes and state titling fees, most certainly the 'prep' charges. Work backwards from the 'out the door' price. Pull out a nice wad of cash and tell the nice salesperson you'll buy that Crownline today for ???? 40K? 38K? Whatever. You won't hurt his feelings.
thanks airdvr, this is useful to me.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I bought my boat as a leftover 08 and got it for roughly 55% of MSRP last October.

I was in another dealership this last weekend and they had a crownline that was very similar to mine, but with the smaller engine and carpeted floor (two things I'd consider a step down) and they wanted quite a bit more than I paid for mine. I asked the salesperson about it and they said it was their 'rock bottom' price. I think the MSRP was listed at $34 and they wanted $25.

Mine MSRP'ed at $34 and I got it for $18.5.

I'd say just look and look until you find something you like at a price you want to pay. Maybe even drive out of your area a bit. I bought mine 1.5 hrs away in PA, and the Crownline place was 30 minutes away here in Jersey.