evinrude w/ no fire

ussessex

Recruit
I have an evinrude that is not getting fire. Boat was recently given to me and needs other repairs as well (cosmetics). I don't have a manual and am looking for a few troubleshooting tips to figure out what I'm in for.
Motor is a 50272c which I'm guessing means this 50 horse was made in 1972?
serial number E01106

Thanks in advance,
Jim

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: evinrude w/ no fire

Check connections, points, condenser etc.

edit: How long has it been sitting. You will probably want to check compression also. Might also want to pull to check water pump.

ussessex

Recruit

OK, I found a loose wire that has restored fire and followed the instruction given to add gas to cylinders and it actually fired off. I was able to get it to run for a bit but only by manually operating the throttle on the carbs. After running for about 40 seconds or so it died and wouldn't start again although it does hit a little.

I have run a compression check and have 150 pounds

Have checked with the previous owner and found that this boat has has an idling problem in the past and I would not be surprised if soumone has monkeyd around with the linkages.

I am reluctant to spend the 50 dollars for a manual just yet cause I really don't have any idea what I'm in for. If the thing costs too much to repair I might just unload it. I have 4 kids that would love to get in it though.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your compression is great, if you have spark on both cylinders, carb rebuild. through cleaning, removing high and low speed jets, float needle seat. rebuild kits. special tool for high speed jets. 1st picture, from F_R.

Attachments

• MVC-220S.JPG
    MVC-220S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0

ussessex

Recruit

I managed to get her goin. I realized that the linkage probably adjusts the timing and I could see one that looked like it had a clean section on the threads of the linkage adjustment screw. Even after adjusting I wasn't able to make it idle with throttle turned all the way back but the engine is definitely idled all the way down so I adjusted what appears to me a main stop screw out (almost an inch) to meet the corresponding linkage end.
we'll see what she does in the water

I am thinking that the linkage that ties the two carbs together may be off. Do you know how these are supposed to be set? I have heard that one should open before the other. Not sure about that one.

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would read a few more post before heading to the water. I hope your not running the engine without muffs. Buy a manual!:eek:

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

check your library for the manual-if they dont have it they can likely get it-there is a cool system of one library loaning books to another I was able to take advantage of in the past-

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Library is a very good suggestion. I've found that they actually carry them for many motor types. That is a quick cheap way to get a manual. Carb rebuild is a really good idea. Like kettler said "I hope your not running the engine without muffs." How long has the motor been sitting? You'll most likely need to replace the impeller and change the lower unit lubes.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

for the carb linkages they should be set as follows: loosen throttle link fastener screw. hold throttles closed by applying finger pressure to both upper and lower throttle links; tighten fastener screw while holding throttles closed. repeat same procedure for choke valves

got my manual off ebay a few weeks ago and only paid $12.00
thats including shipping. they're out there, just keep looking from time to time.

ussessex

Recruit

Yes I ran the motor in the driveway with the earmuffs on and copious amounts of water flowing through. I did notice that, unlike other outboards I've seen, the water doesn't squirt out of a hole up above the water line. No confirmation of water flow while going down the river.

Boat did well out on the river except that it doesn't idle when throtled all the way back. THis is not the case when it's in the driveway in neutral but in gear while in the water is another story. The motor runs well, not missing or anything. I'm thinking maybe I will adjust the set screw that is the throttle backstop as it were. Does anyone thibk that the carb may be the culprit for this symtom?

I checked the carb linkages as instructed but if they aren't in the same positions they are very close.

This boat hasn't sat so long that the gas went bad but its been a while.

Yes I will break down and buy a manual now.

I looked on this site for an impeller kit but didn't see one for a 50hp. are they availible here?

Thanks for all of the advice so far, I am pretty good with fixing things but sometimes there's no substitute for experience.
Jim