Android apps for boat lovers?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Today I splurged and got the new HTC Incredible and, being new to Android, have no idea what apps are any good. I know I'd love to see some sort of boating apps for it. Anyone have an Android with some app recommendations?

Pay apps or free, I have no preference.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Android apps for boat lovers?

Will be interesting to see how you like your phone. My Iphone is the first smart phone I have ever owned and I am blown away by it. I heard the HTC is very good as well.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the Motorola DROID [uses the Android OS]. Best apps that I have found:

Handcent SMS - Replaces the factory messaging system, it allows you to send to multiple contacts, have pop up notifications, and customize just about any detail about it.

Google Tracks - GPS tracker allows you to lay out point to point courses and mark highlights along the way. Good for night boating or setting a path to the best fishing spot.

Yellowbook - Phone book.... self explainatory

Google Goggles - (May be standard with Android 2.1 update) Product and location identifier. Just photograph an item or place (landmark) and it will search for places nearby that sell it and the cost or info about the locaton.

I have a few other apps that are more toward phone modification that my not suit your needs yet but the few listed above are the most generally usefull. No specific (or at least legitimate) apps dedicated to boating yet that I know of.

Oh, and 'in my opinion'...... waaaay better than the iphone (no offence to iphoners)

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome idea using google tracks for a night return voyage home. Just follow your tracks from earlier and no worries at all!

I've spent some decent time playing around and I think I'm finally getting the hang of things. I configured my exchange services, so I finally get push email on my phone (never had mobile inet before). Uploading videos directly from my phone to youtube is gnarly. I just can't figure out why android supports directly photos to flickr but not google's own picasa (which I use).

Have you figured out how to voice dial via bluetooth headset? I can't seem to find out how to do that. My 3 year old WinMo phone did that quite well.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

HTC eliminated the Picasa option from their phones and installed their own photo host (aparently synced with Flickr). However, Pixlepipe makes a direct uploader for Picasa. You can find it on the Android market for free, just search 'Picasa'.

As far as the bluetooth dial, well.... theres a lil hang up (no pun intended) with that right now. Most of the Android phones cannot directly bluetooth dial (Devour can), not sure why but they cant. There are a few apps that use the phone's reciever to "listen" to the commands and then transfer it to the bluetooth device. None (that I know of) can recieve commands direct from the headset without having some manual interaction with the handset. Check out 'Choice Dialer' and 'Voice Dialer XF' (both pay) for the transfer option. I believe there is a fix in the works for the next Android release.

Google Tracks also works good for marking bouys or shoals along the way too. If you overlay it with the Google Laditude feature you can find out interesting points or information others have found in the same region (depending on the sites popularity).

capefish

Recruit

I'm using TideApp and Tide Prediction. Neither is perfect but they are nice to have. TideApp appears to be an Android port of J Tides, allows you to save favorite stations, shows current tables, but can be slow and cause force closes. TideApp seems more stable but does not have as many locations, no saving favorites, and does not seem to show current tables. If I had to pick one I would go with TideApp, hope they come out with out with a donate or paid version with a little more polish.

Another app that I love is RadarNow, almost realtime animated radar, it gets me by untill the launch of flash on the andorid OS.

Here is the list of the tools that I've found most useful. I'm a TowBoatU.S. Captain on the Potomac River in DC.

AndroBeaufort - simple Beaufort Scale
Radar Now - localized animated radar map
Tide Prediction - starts in graph and easier to read (does not include Sun rise/set)
Tide App - starts in text table and includes Sun rise/set
FloatPlanGenerator.com - Website Bookmark. Once you've registered you can check in from the phone.
Flash Light (HTC) - trust me, it's a must have.

Other than that there are tons of Marine based charts and maps that I've been interested in trying, but thus far the Google Maps tool has been very good for my uses.

My HTC Evo has the ability to have different profiles (scenes). So have 2 that I use. Boat and Everyday. When I load the Boat scene all of my marine apps are forefront. I also change the background (blue waves for the Boat scene) so that I can distinguish them fast.

There are other application needs that I'd have in this industry, and (as a developer myself) I've been playing around with the ideas.. I'll post if I put anything together.

Hope this helps.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm loving my Incredible!!!!

Google Tracks, like mentioned above is the Bee's Knee's.

Down load the "BUMP" app. This allows you to bump anyone else whom has a droid, you litterally tap their phone with yours and exchange files, contacts, apps, ringtone's, or anything you want... its awsome, you can even exchange contact with I-phone users.

I used to have the I-phone.... The droid is better, but not by much.

Scanner Radio... this allows you to listen to all local scanners...cool

Talk To Me..... this app is unreal, it lets you speak into your phone, then says what you said in a different language of your choice...it has languages I've never even heard of before.

Yelp... this app tells you what is in the area. It finds your GPS location and then tells you all the hotels, gas stations, stores, resturants, etc.

Weatherbug... this is my favorite weather app.

Pandora.... This is a killer music app... you can choose the genre of music you enjoy.. it will play it, then if a song you don't like comes on you push the thumbs down... it will never play the disliked song again.

Advanced Task Killer Free... This app manages your open and running apps... it saves your phone from freezing.

there is more but you'll be finding em' as you go.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Great thread for us Android folks!

I just d/l'd Radar Now, and I must say, it's pretty awesome. I'd recommend it for all boaters.

I like Tide App much more than Tide Prediction, but I have them both.

I also really like a program called Where. It's similar to Yelp!, but I think a little more inclusive.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

this is a great thread ..... can some one tell me .... how in the heck do you remove an app from the droid ( i have the original motorolla ) i touch and hold the app and drag to the trash can but it still stays on my " home page " what gives?

UPDATE ..... searched this on youtube and now have it figured out ...:D

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

not a boating app but i just found yahoo music today. its a free app. so far i really like it. i also use pandora but after playing with the yahoo for a little while i may have a new fav. music player

the_mayor

Cadet

also not a boat app but way cool!

"Scilor's Grooveshark Mobile" This app lets you search any song or artist. After a list comes up, simply click on the song. Now go to the play list and it's there. All songs are streaming so you'll need a signal to play, but this app is awesome!
If you have an mp3 jack on your stereo, you now have unlimited music while on the water.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have a few that I use a lot:

Compass
GPS Essentials

I also have several other apps... they are almost limitless with the android, the same with all smart phones I guess.

I'm using the motorola droid.

One application that hasn't been mentioned but I consider a MUST HAVE APP is: Advanced Task Killer

You'll be amazed how much longer your battery lasts when you kill off applications you have running. Just because you get back to the home screen after running your browser or playing with facebook doesn't mean that the application has closed. It runs in the background waiting for you to open it again and sucking battery while it's doing it.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

One application that hasn't been mentioned but I consider a MUST HAVE APP is: Advanced Task Killer

Actually it was already mentioned by me above earlier....:D

Just razzing ya:D

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the HTC EVO and have alot of good and just for fun apps. I list some I like.

air horn-prob more loud than my junk electric boat horn.
barcode scanner-lets you compare prices at the store/marina
fx camera-good app to tweak photos
google sky map-great to id stars
marine weather by bluefin-lets you zoom in real good.
Shazam- id's songs you want to know the name or artist of
sprint nav- if you can get it
unit converter- good for gas oil mixers
and prob everything else that was mentioned above allready.
Slacker radio is another decent music app.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Navionics. Is a complete GPS chart plotter for your phone. Works just like my 1000 dollar plotter, just on a smaller screen. Check it out its awsome...

http://www.navionics.com/NavionicsMobile.asp

I was about to download that and the phone put up a warning screen that says:

THIS APPLICATION HAS ACESS TO THE FOLLOWING:
your location
your network communication( full internet access)
your storage(modify/delete files)
Harware controls (take pictures)
Services that cost money( directly call phone numbers)
phone calls( read phone state and identity)

sounds like a risk...

what does anyone say about those risks???

bob

sheridon

Seaman Apprentice

I was about to download that and the phone put up a warning screen that says:

THIS APPLICATION HAS ACESS TO THE FOLLOWING:
your location
your network communication( full internet access)
your storage(modify/delete files)
Harware controls (take pictures)
Services that cost money( directly call phone numbers)
phone calls( read phone state and identity)

sounds like a risk...

what does anyone say about those risks???

bob

Alot of apps for the android have access to alot of these features. It's no big deal. They are integrated for when you save routes, take pictures. click on names of sites listed on the maps that list phone numbers so you can call directly from the app.

They are there so that the app is more useful to you.

I second the Navionics app! I use this all the time.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Alot of apps for the android have access to alot of these features. It's no big deal. They are integrated for when you save routes, take pictures. click on names of sites listed on the maps that list phone numbers so you can call directly from the app.

They are there so that the app is more useful to you.

I second the Navionics app! I use this all the time.

ok I just bought it...

bob

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually it was already mentioned by me above earlier....:D

Just razzing ya:D

I stand corrected... :D

Glad to see someone else considers that a must-have app