Walbro WMA Bowl Gaskets---Photo update

Laddies

Banned
We are having problems with the WMA bowl gaskets leaking after 2 toi 3 days, the gaskets are expanding to the point that they are pushing themselves out of the gasket groove and leaking, has anyone had the problem or found a fix for it. We have 2 major fuel suppliers in northern michigan and fuel for either supplier cause the same problem.

In 3 days running the gaskets grow this much.

scan0013.jpg

Last edited:

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Walbro WMA Bowl Gaskets

We are having problems with the WMA bowl gaskets leaking after 2 toi 3 days, the gaskets are expanding to the point that they are pushing themselves out of the gasket groove and leaking, has anyone had the problem or found a fix for it. We have 2 major fuel suppliers in northern michigan and fuel for either supplier cause the same problem.

Laddies, I've seen that happen when the bowls are over tightened or not tightened in a cross pattern. Knowing you, I doubt either of those are the culprit. Are you using Merc gaskets or Sierra? I've been steering clear of the Sierra stuff after a couple of bad experiences.

The only other thing I can suggest is to tighten them in a cross pattern and torque them. I'd use a spot of Loctite blue and then tighten them to 8 in lbs and come up to it in thirds. That's similar to what I do with reeds to keep from warping them. Might work.

Laddies

Banned

The WMA Walbro carbs use a single center bolt to hold the float bowl in position. So far I have used Sierra which last less than 4 hrs and last year OEM gaskets which last 3 to 4 days

Alumarine

Captain

Last year I replaced the bowl gaskets on the Tillotson Carbs on my 82 Merc 50 using a Sierra kit. They have the single bolt center bolt as well.

This year I had to do adjust the floats again and found that the rubber gaskets had swollen and would not fit in the groove anymore.

We've got some ethanol in our gas here.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The WMA Walbro carbs use a single center bolt to hold the float bowl in position. So far I have used Sierra which last less than 4 hrs and last year OEM gaskets which last 3 to 4 days

Humm, was thinking it was like the WME's. Sounds like it could be E-10/15. Might have to resort to making your own gaskets.

I hate to even mention it but as a last resort, there's alway's Permatex.

Moody Blue

Captain

Not at all familiar with the gasket configuration, but is there a possibility of substituting the gasket with an appropriate dia and cross section 0-ring? Would think it less likely to deform as much as a flat gasket under compression.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Walbro WMA Bowl Gaskets---Photo update

Looks almost like the gasket is oversized or softening to the point where it becomes oversized. Poor material or the dreaded fuel additive problem? Hard to say if it's E-10 or something else in the fuel causing it.

I wonder if soaking a new one in fuel for a couple of days would give you any clues. I might even be inclined to soak it in mixed and non mixed fuel.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Walbro WMA Bowl Gaskets---Photo update

Hey Laddies try contacting Walbro as they are just around corner from you and see if they have any of the cork gaskets the kit originally came with.
I will check and see if my distributer has any of the old stock kits(serria) to see if they any with the hard paper gskt.
Walbro North America
Sales and Engineering
6242 Garfield Street
Cass City, Michigan 48726
Phone: (989)872-2131
Fax: (989)872-3090