Please Help, No Spark!!!

77Lark

Seaman
I posted earlier about a spark issue. I discovered th Blk/Yel wire on the power pack reads ground and both sides of the kill switch read ground. Doesn't this mean the ign. system is grounded therefore will not fire?

I pulled the Blk/Yel wire off and it still doesn't spark. I can't seem to find any good resources on how to test stator, timer base, ...

here is my earlier post

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=213174

Many thanks!!!

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Please Help, No Spark!!!

Do you have a manual? It will have a wiring diagram in it.

77Lark

Seaman

I got a wiring diagram from another iboat user and it is nice (simple). Still it does not indicate test points, specs, indications stuff like that. Also I openly admit that I am amature at best as far as working on magneto systems. I understand how they work but not really as simple to trouble shoot. I also don't have a DVA adapter, neon test light anything for high voltage. Just my trusty multi-meter, electrical tools and basic "shop tools".

Can you or anyone help me to at least rule out a part or two with what I have? Kinda grasping my straws right now.

We have a little girl on the way so budget is a little tight to start replacing parts that aren't broken.

As you can see in my other thread I ordered a manual and have yet to receive it. Just treading water now (no pun intended).

Did I mention the Tach doesn't work? I've seen people mention that on here for troubleshooting purposes...

Appreciate all your great advice, Thanks!

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you stick with one post folks will be able to keep track of what is going on.

77Lark

Seaman

Yea...Sorry about that. I'm new to the forum thing and learning protocol.

goboatnow

Cadet

try disconnecting the boat harness from the motor first. Then test to see if you have a grounded black/yellow. If it is not grounded then you have a boat wiring problem (key switch, kill switch, etc). If it stays grounded then the problem is on the motor. Post with what you find

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If your tach doesnt work test the rectifier.

To test the rectifier.....

Place meter in Hi ohms position

1. Disconnect rectifier lead from terminal block. Connect one ohmmeter lead to either yellow or yellow grey rectifier lead, and other meter lead to ground. Note reading

2. Reverse leads, and note reading. Infinite or very high reading in both checks indicates diode open. zero reading in both checks indicates diode is shorted. Normal diode will show a reading in one direction and no reading in other.

3. Repeat with other rectifier yellow lead.

4. Repeat test, connect meter between rectifier yellow lead and rect red/purple lead. Between yellow/gray stripe rectifier lead and rect red/purple lead.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

To check your stator, disconnect yellow lead and yellow/gray lead at the terminal block. Connect the red meter lead to either yellow lead and meter black lead to ground to check for shorts. An infinite reading on HI ohms scale indicates the windings are good. Connect ohmmeter to LO ohms scale between the yellow and yellow /gray leads. A reading of .25 ohms + or - .1 indicates the windings are good, and an infinite or very high reading indicates the windings are open.

77Lark

Seaman

Thanks HT.

I will check them in a few hours and post what I find.

77Lark

Seaman

Ok guys,

The Blk/Yel was grounded because the darn keyswitch was in the OFF postion. Blonde moment! Moving on.

Rectifier toast. Burn't red wire and cracked bakelite seal. Will the boat run without the rectifier? I'm not sure of its purpose. Either way with it disconnected it still won't start. (no spark on all 4)

Stator Specs:

Using digital automatic meter...

Yel/Gray to ground - open
Yel to ground - open
Yel to Yel/Gray 1.5 ohms

Sensor Specs:

Reading between...

Sensor wires 1/2 - 8 ohms
Sensor wires 3/4 - 8 ohms

Any red flags? Stator would seem good? Are the sensor readings low? What does this mean. CDI says they should be 10-20 ohms.

Thanks! Where to next?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The rectifier assembly converts the alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) , while the voltage regulator controls teh voltage output of the alternator. Basically controls your tach .

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

try disconnecting the boat harness from the motor first. Then test to see if you have a grounded black/yellow. If it is not grounded then you have a boat wiring problem (key switch, kill switch, etc). If it stays grounded then the problem is on the motor. Post with what you find

and did you follow this step

77Lark

Seaman

Yes I followed. With key switch on there is an open between blk/yel and ground. Red plug unplugged there is an open between blk/yel and ground so I am seeing that there isn't anything grounding the ign. circuit

What is your take on the reading I got from the stator and the sensors.

Thanks,
Adam

77Lark

Seaman

HighTrim,

You said that .25 +/- .1 is a normal reading on the stator wires. What does my 1.5 ohms indicate?

Also what about the other numbers? Any idea what they mean?

Anyone else have any Idea?

Should my boat start without a rectifier? (it doesn't)

Thanks guys!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im sorry but ive never had to actually test one myself. It says infinite or very high and the windings are open, but what is very high. 1.5 does seem high compared to the .25 +- .1, but you will need one of the mechanics on here to tell you for sure.

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unless you are absolutely positive your meter is accurate, I'd see if I could borrow another or, at least compare its low scale readings with another meter before I considered those bad measurements. For starters, short the two meter leads together and see how close to zero it reads.

77Lark

Seaman

With a good steady connection it read 0.00 - 0.04 ohms with a dead short. I trust my life wit hthis meter everyday but not sure of its pin point presicion.

Why what are you calling "bad" measurments.

texas1962

Cadet

Hello I just came on to iboats.com so let me learn something!In reading this post I see that ronnie504u asked about the black/yellow wire.Well right here is where I need to start.I have a 1976 70horse Evinrude,I have ground on that wire all the time. I also have no spark. Can you help me?
Stanley, thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Start a new thread Texas1962, you will get lots of help.

77Lark

Seaman

Any more takers on what these numbers indicate?