the truth about noodles

Status
Not open for further replies.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: the truth about noodles

So how many cadaver's would it take to float the boat :eek:

They will bloat at some point and make them super buoyant... I think the smell would outweigh the benefit.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you use pour-in foam in a tinny, could you place a thin sheet of something on the bottom that lies on top of the ribs. As an example, plexi-glass, or the 1/2 inch blue foam. That would keep the pour-in foam from laying directly against the hull and water could run underneath.

BTW.... the foam that I took out of my boat was highly flammable. I place some on my burning pile and whoosh, it went up like nothin'.

Bondo

Staff member

BTW.... the foam that I took out of my boat was highly flammable. I place some on my burning pile and whoosh, it went up like nothin'.

Ayuh,... Probably Gas Soaked after 20 years of mistakes...

So how many cadaver's would it take to float the boat

Ayuh,... That's Why I love ya Bob,.... Yer 1 Sick Puppy you are,.....:rolleyes: :D

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I've seen pour-in foam sold with plastic bags to be used as packaging and I've gotten plenty of stuff in the mail that had utilized this packing method...

Could you not take a large plastic bag (or make one out of thin plastic film) and place it in the area that you are going to pour foam, pour the foam into the bag and let it conform to the shape of the area? You could then remove the foam as it's not stuck to the hull but to the bag, carve out some water passageways, coat it w/ some type of DryLock paint and re-install it back into you boat. The paint (and the plastic bag) will keep the water from getting to the foam and destroying/waterlogging it and the fact that it's not stuck to the hull would make it a darn sight easier for your grandson to remove in 30 years when he goes to restore it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ayuh,... That's Why I love ya Bob,.... Yer 1 Sick Puppy you are,.....:rolleyes: :D
With my luck the water police would count the number of PFD's I carry ......and I would get a ticket :rolleyes:

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BobVT,

Thanks for your posts on this foam issue. From a standpoint of pure physics, yours made the most sense.

I have been trying to decide on the replacement for the factory pour-in foam I had to remove to get to my transom. The total volume I removed could not have been 2 c.f. If I replace it with any of the discuss possibilities, the best I can expect is maybe 100+ pounds of positive bouyancy. With what foam is still in the floor and bow compartment, plus what I would replace, I don't think there is enough to actually float the boat if it swamped. At this point I may not replace the foam! Just get a good PFD and flare gun!

Regards,

Coho Ghost

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.