Spinner's New Tow Truck

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Went and picked up my new truck yesterday.
Worked all night and left in the AM to North Carolina to get my new truck.
62fuydc.jpg

'07 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 SLT
6.7L Cummins Diesel with 6 speed Automatic.
4ratqm8.jpg

Has engine exhaust brake kinda like the big rigs.
Turn it on and when you let up on gas pedal it kicks in and slows you dowm without having to use the brakes.
Very handy when hauling with it.
4zenngw.jpg

Anyway, will post some after pics after I get the diamond plated stuff put on it, ie: bed rails, tailgate protector, tool box.
Nerf running boards, etc.
5xt0jo6.jpg

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Spinner's New Tow Truck

Oh man, your gonna need a bigger boat!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I thought you said they delivered !! So you went with the 6.7 after all. It doesn't have an actual exhaust brake on it like the big rigs....it uses a variable pitch turbo and they just close the turbo down all the way to get the "jake brake" effect. If you had gone 5.9 we could've installed an actual jake brake straight from mother mopar. That being said it looks great and I am sure you'll be very happy with it.
--
Stan

SpinnerBait_Nut

I thought you said they delivered !!They would have, but the wife wanted to get away for a bit so we drove down and got it. So you went with the 6.7 after all.Yea, I could not pass it up for 36K It doesn't have an actual exhaust brake on it like the big rigs....it uses a variable pitch turbo and they just close the turbo down all the way to get the "jake brake" effect.Yea I know, but it sounds good. If you had gone 5.9 we could've installed an actual jake brake straight from mother mopar. That being said it looks great and I am sure you'll be very happy with it.
--
Stan
Yes, I think I will.
BTW, I have not had time to look at the OM, what is the oil change time frame on these motors?

JB

Oh no!! Not another little red truck! :(

That's an inside joke for old timers around here. :)

SuperNova

Lieutenant

We usually let 'em go 3k-5k depending on how you are driving it. Although theoretically it can go 7500 according to the book. It should have an oil minder system that monitors duty cycle and will tell you when to change the oil. It's based on load and rpm and temp and uses algorythms to compute oil life. Your truck should be equipped with it standard, I believe. I just looked in tech-connect and there are 4 recall available and a bunch of software updates. If you give me the last 8 of the VIN I can check it for open recalls real quick. The software flashes I would have to be connected to it to tell you if they are done or not.
--
Stan

SpinnerBait_Nut

We usually let 'em go 3k-5k depending on how you are driving it. Although theoretically it can go 7500 according to the book. It should have an oil minder system that monitors duty cycle and will tell you when to change the oil. It's based on load and rpm and temp and uses algorythms to compute oil life. Your truck should be equipped with it standard, I believe. I just looked in tech-connect and there are 4 recall available and a bunch of software updates. If you give me the last 8 of the VIN I can check it for open recalls real quick. The software flashes I would have to be connected to it to tell you if they are done or not.
--
Stan
7G-844863

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Nope, no open recalls--looks good. There is an important TSB though. TSB 18-033-07 Rev. B that you will want to make sure is done or gets done. They probably did it while it was in inventory, but make sure. It's just a two-step PCM reflash regarding some driveability enhancements and some exhaust and turbo longevity enhancements. Highly recommended. Your local dealer should be able to do it while you wait, there are no parts involved. I just checked--it doesn't look like Empire put in any claims other than prep--so it may not have been done.
--
Stan

SuperNova

Lieutenant

By the way, I always liked the two-tone scheme with the red over grey instead of the solid red. I think it looks more classy, but still racy.
--
Stan

tommays

Admiral

Well thanks you got me all green now :D enjoy

Tommays

SpinnerBait_Nut

Update with new pics:

SpinnerBait_Nut

And one more.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Looks great. Are you going to spray on a bed liner or go with a drop in?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Looks great. Are you going to spray on a bed liner or go with a drop in?
Gona leave it like it is. I don't haul a lot back there.
Not enough to justify a liner. I have that thick rubber mat and that's all I need.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

cool,
I guess you can always wait till the paint scratches ( im a liner advocate LOL). Thats a great looking truck congrats and good luck.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I just noticed something. How can it be a tow truck if she does not have the hardware to tow anything? LOL

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Now you just need to beef that engine up.
K&N air intake system,Big fat exhaust (factory exhaust removed)
And the SuperChip Flashpack tune and hold on...:D
Our work 3500 diesels are set up like that and it can tow 16000 pounds up a mountain while running out of numbers on the speedo..
I tow my boat with it and can out run cars light to light or anywhere else for that matter...
Man thats a sweet ride you got there..:cool: