Trouble starting my Evinrude v4

Fletcher5

Recruit
Hi guys, having a little trouble initially starting my Evinrude 90hp v4 1891 model. I'll run through my starting proceedure as I was told to start it, maybe I havn't quite got the knack. First of all, prime the fuel then turn over with choke but no gas until she fires, which is usually after 3 or4 turns then apply some gas and turn over without choke. She usually starts and runs for 3 or 4 seconds but then dies. This is the bit I get alittle stuck, if I apply gas she just turns over without firing but if I turn over without gas she fires and disengages the starter imediately but doesn't start. I've tried a mixture or applying a little more choke and throttle but usually end up flooding the engine and flattening the battery. When I do get her running, there's lots of smoke (I'm guessing unburnt fuel) for a few seconds but the runs like a dream. Starts first turn of the key no throttle all day long, no missfires or flatspots.
Just to give you a little history of the engine, she has just been serviced, carbs cleaned, new plugs etc. Previous to me purchasing the engine it hadn't been run for 2 years. Thanks guys

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trouble starting my Evinrude v4

Look in the FAQ section on starting, it has been covered many, many times.

When you say "give it some gas" are you reffering to using the fats idle lever? That's not neccesarily giving it gas, that lever will advance the timing, as well as open the carbs a slight bit for increased throttle, but the main objective of that lever is to advance the timing.

It is sometimes reffered to as the "cold start lever", as in it needs to be used for cold starts. I wouldn't think you'd get anywhere without using it on a cold start, especially with a motor that old with a choke rather than a primer.

Are you sure your choke plates are fully closing?

Make sure you pump your primer bulb up real hard, then put your "cold start" or "fast idle" lever up all the way, or it could be like half way up depending on which type of binnacle you have.

Then push the choke in and turn the key to start, it should fire right up on a cold start that way, maybe have to crank 2 or 3 times to pull some fuel in, but should fire up. Trying to start without using the cold start lever isn't gonna get you anywhere.

Also make sure you are cranking at least 300 RPM, you need to be cranking relatively fast to get the engine started.

Fletcher5

Recruit
Re: Trouble starting my Evinrude v4

Look in the FAQ section on starting, it has been covered many, many times

I must admit when i wrote this post (having only just joined) i had know idea it was such a popular subject, i apologise for not looking first but apreaciate you taking the time to repond.
Ive most definately been mislead in the starting proceedure so will give it a try tommorrow following your instructions and hopefully see an improvement. Thanks