1984 Jeep CJ7 as tow vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadoomanls

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just acquired this Jeep as my new tow vehicle. I tow small jet boats, a bass boat, and 2 jet skies. I just need advice from some of you on my E-brake. i put in new back and front brakes and flushed all the fluid. I am still nervous though because last time on the ramp my brakes did not stop me and it was not very steep. I know this is a boat forum but I need help!

What do I do with the rear self adjusters and the E brake cable and what not?

Please help!

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 Jeep CJ7 as tow vehicle

Here is your problem.......NOT ENOUGH TOW VEHICLE WEIGHT!!!!!!

If the jeep could not stop what you're towing going slow on a gentle ramp, imagine ( if you will ) what might happen at highway ( or even secondary road ) speeds. Also, to touch on another problem....because of the short wheelbase, you will be susceptible ( or more so ) to both jack-knifing and that wondrous feeling we call " tail wagging the dog ".

Please take into consideration the lives of the people you share the road with and not tow with the CJ.;)

Seadoomanls

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is ridiculous!! Its a 2500lb boat, tops!! I did plenty of research before I bought the Jeep and lots of people use Jeeps as light tow vehicles. Thanks for the response though (although i wont be giving up) if anybody has a real suggestion my ears are open :D

NYBo

Admiral

Carry 2 (or even 4) wheel chocks.

But 2500# may be over the recommended towing capacity of your Jeep. And the short wheelbase makes for a less-than-perfect tow vehicle. (not as bad as a CJ 5, though).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just did a little Googling because I love CJs and would love to have one and this thread (and your response) piqued my interest. It would seem that the general internet consensus is that your only really safe up to about 2000lbs due to the short wheel base. On some other forums I ended up on, a couple CJ owners said they used them to tow boats but they were lighter aluminum ones.

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just acquired this Jeep as my new tow vehicle. I tow small jet boats, a bass boat, and 2 jet skies. I just need advice from some of you on my E-brake. i put in new back and front brakes and flushed all the fluid. I am still nervous though because last time on the ramp my brakes did not stop me and it was not very steep. I know this is a boat forum but I need help!

Please help!

When you say the breaks didn't stop you, do you mean your regular breaks or the parking break? I assume you meant the parking break wouldn't hold on the ramp.

Did you adjust the parking brake cable when you did breaks? The self adjusters keep it adjusted, but they need to be somewhat close to work.

Does it get tight when you set the break (I don't know if it's a handle or pedal)? Will it hold just the jeep on a steep hill? And yeah, a 2500lb boat is more than I'd want to tow in a CJ. Add trailer, gas, and other junk and you're asking for trouble.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

2500# boat easily turns into about 4000# when trailer fuel and gear is included. So that is WAY OVER itis limit. May not be what you wanna hear but you came here for advice and so far no one has steered you wrong.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I had a CJ for a while, man I loved that Jeep! I'd pull a 12' aluminum or jet ski and that is about it. Everything else just seems like asking for trouble, just my opinion though. Sorry that really doesn't answer your brake question. Have fun!:D

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had several CJ's the newest being an 80 model and drug an 19' I/O bayliner capri to the lake many of times with zero issues. Granted I had a beefed up suspension with a little lift and stout rubber and quite a few engine mods on that torqey 258 inline 6, steering and axel work, etc. Keep in mind though this was a significantly modified Jeep that could handle it safely.

As for ratings and safety for your 84 being mostly stock I assume, I would have to go with everyone here that you are over the rated limit which is a safety issue, not just for you but for everyone around you.

But putting that aside if your brakes cant hold a little ole jet boat or bass boat on the ramp you have some serious mechanical issues that you are not telling us and are going need examined. Your prize needs some serious work before you tool around on the roads or highway without a boat let alone a load on your hitch.

bmflyfish

Cadet

Please help![/QUOTE]

I have a 1985 CJ-7 that I use to carry my canoe and tow my aluminum boat to my favorite fishing holes. You cannot beat towing a boat or jet ski to the lake in a good old CJ-7. But it does sound like you need to go through the 26 year old brake system. Does your CJ have the manual or power brakes? I have manual brakes, but if I recall correctly the brakes booster operates off the vacumn of the motor and vacumn lines can become cracked and leak.

Changing out the brakes and fluid is a good start, especially for an older Jeep. One thing that more likely needs to be replaced is rear wheel cylinders. Brake fluid attracts moisture and the wheel cylinders over time will start to pit on the inside and eventually leak. The next thing that is going to go is master cylinder and maybe the proporting valve. I would at least rebuild the front calipers if not just replace them. Bleed all the brakes lines real well and make sure all the rear brakes are adjusted properly. You can adjust the rear brakes by turning the adjuster with either a brake spoon or a wide bladed screwdriver with the brake drum installed. There is a slot in the backing plate of the rear brakes that gives access to the adjuster. I do not remember if the adjuster turns clockwise or counter wise, but it only turns in one direction.

Located on the frame slightly in front of the rear axle you will find the adjuster for the parking brake. Make sure it has not rusted up and parking brake cables are still functioning. You can also still find the orginal service manuals for the CJ on ebay which is a great tool to have. There were not many changes for the CJ in the early eighties so a Jeep Service Manual for an 1982 is still a real valuable resource.

Good Luck! Brian

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is ridiculous!! Its a 2500lb boat, tops!! I did plenty of research before I bought the Jeep and lots of people use Jeeps as light tow vehicles. Thanks for the response though (although i wont be giving up) if anybody has a real suggestion my ears are open :D

I'm sorry it's not what you WANT to hear.:p I hope your insurance is up to date.:mad: It is not a question of if you get into trouble but when if you continue to tow that weight with a CJ. You came here looking for input and don't like what you're hearing????:rolleyes:

Seadoomanls

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate all the responses. i did some further digging. My bass boat weighs 700 lbs dry. With motor and everything I am guessing 1250 lbs. No problems there. My other boat is a Yamaha Exciter, according to nadaguides it is 1700lbs with the original trailer (which I have). Jeep is mechanically pristine, however the brake system sounds like it needs complete overhaul. I dug a little deeper and found that most people said 2000-2500 lbs is exactly the weight a Jeep can handle (thanks guys).

To answer some of your questions:

I did replace everything on the back two brakes! New shoes, and springs, and master cylinders and flushed the entire brake fluid system. Have not tried the boat ramp yet. Parking brake works but only when I smash it to the floor so I am guessing I need to adjust the cable a little bit more?

I know this jeep will tow these boats safely because this boat ramp is so not-steep that I actually used my 16hp John Deere to launch the jetboat before lol. We only have one steep ramp in town and I wouldnt even launch a boat there with my Dads Tahoe.

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have a 98 tj with a 4in old man emu susp lift 33-12.50 dunlops 5 spd manual and a 4 bangger with 4.10 gears, its set up with a trailer tow package rated to 3500lbs I had to tow a 21ft carolina skiff dlx with a extra hvy duty duel axle trailer with disc surge brakes 75miles down I-75, it pulled the boat fine right up to 70mph in 25mph head winds, semis passin me and all, and it really drove better towing the boat then if I was just driving without anything behind me, now I dont do this every day I have a 04 dodge ram 2500 diesel 4x4 for towing stuff, but a jeep can tow and tow better then all you guys using your hybred 2500lb suvs and mini vans that drive down the road like a sail with there tall wide sides, jeeps are made to tow things belive it or not the new 4 door jeep wranglers have a 5000lb tow rating and my wifes little diesel 4x4 jeep liberty has a 5000lb tow rating that can be upgraded to 7500lbs. you guys are trying to scare this poor guy and tell him hes driving a death trap when really hes driving a better rig them most of you with your hybreds and mini vans

Seadoomanls

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LOL i appreciate the support reelnative.

To clarify, I do think some people are underestimating the jeep just a little bit.

However, I do realize with the short wheel base and 6 cyl engine I have no interest in towing anything over 18'. I am hoping with a 3000lb limit.

I didnt mention but I have a 3" suspension lift (I know its small for a suspension lift but I did not want the death wobble) on 35 1/2's.

I just think I need some fine tuning in my brake system. I will get pictures up for you guys of vehicle and boat!

:D

D

DJ

You can modify, beef up, repair all you want. Unless you are changing the wheelbase I wouldn't tow more than 1K# with it.

Seadoomanls

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1,000 lbs? I have a nice mazda3 that would tow 1,000 lbs.

I would like this thread to be realistic and provide REAL accurate answers (as most of you have)

Us Jeep enthusiasts can go on all day about how badass our machines our and swear we can tow 5,000 lb boats with them!

Those of you who are less than thrilled with jeeps can claim you wouldnt tow 1,000 lbs with one (somehow I doubt you would honestly refuse to tow more than 1,000 lb)

But the realistic truth is (thanks to the response from many of you) that my CJ has a towing capacity of about 2,000 lbs.

I am sure we can all agree that is plenty for my bass boat (about 1200 lbs) and with the right safety equipment should be able to handle my jetboat (1700 w/ trailer but w/o gas).

Please also keep in mind, the farthest boat ramp from my house is probably 14 miles. The two I normally use are less than 6 away in opposite directions. I live in a VERY wet city literally surrounded by water, you can not throw a stone without finding a boat ramp and most the ramps are in fantastic shape. (Oughta be since it cost $10 to park EVERY weekend!!)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

dj has it right..... towing anything over 1000 lb with ANY jeep cj yj tj jk or any other softsprung central weight biased sub 100" wheelbase vehicle is not safe.... cj8 scrambler along with the unlimited cj 6 and such with the longer wheelebase are better but NOT great....I absolutely LOVE my jeeps but they are not safe for towing those loadsYou don't need support you need education 3500 lbs with a tj is NOT ok at over 30 mph EVER..... Brakes are the least of your concern..... Just an altogether bad idea I'm sure this all upsets you plenty... And likely you could get 100 folks telling you it's bad and 1 saying go for it can over shadow us all but if there is any chance at all that you'll learn from this I'll hope for the best....If you weigh that boat motor and trailer and it really is only 1250 lbs then tow it carefully at reduced speed knowing you are one of the less safe rigs on the road.. 1700 lbs under 40 mph... If you REALLY don't care about this advice and ONLY want mechanical advice then you are on the wrong forum.... those are auto mechanics questions which have nothing at all to do with boats

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to tow my 17' Sea Ray with a '95 Wrangler, 4.0, 5 speed. I never trusted my e-brake (with good reason), so whenever I got out from behind the wheel I'd put the t-case in 4-low and leave it in gear. I'll agree with the other posters that the short wheelbase makes it a less than ideal tow rig, but I can't much speak from experience as my launch is in my neighborhood. Given the occasion though, I would have been comfortable to tow on city streets, but not on the highway. I will say, though, that the short wheelbase is nice when it comes to backing.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

one more thing you won't like is... If you are asking folks on a boating forum "What do I do with the rear self adjusters and the E brake cable and what not?" then you probably should get a qualified mechanic to properly repair your brakes.... This is a very simple job for someone with the know how but a couple easy to make mistakes made by a novice working on the brakes could prove fatal.... Short wheelbase vehicles are not only poor tow vehicles but are notoriusly unforgiving when things go wrong

I own two wranglers along with most of the parts to build a third.... One has 1 ton running gear a v8 and a stretched wheelbase with 38" tires and the other has a 2.5" lift with 31" radials... I have had 3 or 4 others and am always looking for my next jeep... I am a member of a local club and an avid offroader... I also have a friend with one leg because..... Traffic slowed suddenly in front of him while was towing his little bass boat with his jeep around a slight curve... he jacknifed and balled up in the ditch.... I tried to tell him too....

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hahahaha if all you northern folks would come down here to the deep south I think you would have a heart attack on a weekend when you would see 25 jeeps of all diff shapes and sizes on the road heading to the boat ramps with double jetski trailers behind them and people with 20 ft boats all towing them to the launch, also the jeeps are loaded with 4 or 5 people in them, I guess it just must be differant when you live in a place were boating is the norm and not a super special thing that you only have 4 months out of the year to do it, down here we even have people in things like aries K cars towing sailboats to the launch, people even take there jeeps and run them right onto the bch and into the water and launch there skies by pulling them off of the trailer and throwing them in the water then drive back to shore

Status
Not open for further replies.