Commander
Re: My boat accident

MOO RIVER

MOOOve over

Cattle Rustler

Ocean Cowboy

ya..I can play along too;)

"You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille"

I still want to kick Kenny Rodgers a** after his slot machine took $20 from me at the Paris but the song does seem appropriate. She did leave unannounced :)

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Dido on all the thank goodness it did not hurt anyone, and boat seemed to fair well as could be expected.
A note on those safety chains, my chains on my boat when I got it where small and held on with two small bolts. Also the hitch was not the greatest.

I now have a 5,000lb hitch bolted to the tonge of the boat with 4 grade 8 (1/2 bolts) and safety chains of good strenght. Watch the grade of chain you buy and the hook rating.

Another not to inspect, I have seen people use caribene snaps, light duty hooks on their safety chains. Make sure you have something strong from the truck to the trailer to keep that boat hooked to your truck.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Holy Cow Pasture Kev . I guess I need to take a break from the house and read a little bit on here from time to time . Good to see your Ok . The Boat can be fixed . Give me a call when ya get a chance havent chatted with ya in a while .

Rick

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, when the boat got stuck in the field between the cows, he bravely continued the persuit on-foot

0397.jpg

Glad, you are OK. Sucks though when this happens.

Andy in NY

Commander

hey guys, check this out... kev was trying to text his wife and sent it to me instead... rare photo of him actually getting the boat out of the field...

attachment.php

76754732.jpg

aspeck

Staff member

And here is Kev getting the boat home ...

Brock.jpg

"Row, row, row your boat, gently from the field ..."

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Glad you guys have your keen sense of humor...ahem..
So here is more fodder..as mentioned I am really into a grass roots effort mode with these old tinnies..
Here is my newest addition to be saved from the pasture..

CIMG0083-1.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral

I can almost hear the conversation between Kev's 2 boat's when he gets the new one home...

Starcraft... "So where did you come from?"
Fixer... "ohhh, I dunno, some field"
Starcraft... "NO SH*T,,, me too"

:D

tallcanadian

Captain

LMAO...Too funny, fishrdan. You guys are relentless..but I love it. I hope Kev is enjoying the digs. Awesome.

Andy in NY

Commander

I can almost hear the conversation between Kev's 2 boat's when he gets the new one home...

Starcraft... "So where did you come from?"
Fixer... "ohhh, I dunno, some field"
Starcraft... "NO SH*T,,, me too"

:D

OMG, this made me snort!!!!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

So just found out why the dang thing popped off..
The coupler lock wasn't locking onto the ball..
It was rusty and nasty and loose..
I replaced it, since it came off again in my back yard as soon as I went on a hill that raised it off the ball..
Spent 19.99 on a new coupler lock, learned you get it on, then tighten the nut under the coupler while on the ball.

Its an expensive learning process..but not as $$$$ as it could have been

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Good thing for all to check these boats sit unattended for so long that could happen easly. This restoration would be a lot easier if you find one with decent paint. Takeing this thing down to the Aluminum is a chore. Good luck on your repair, did you see where I found a Chieftian -18 with a Outboard . $1350 is what he wants for it. Told me motor ran and the boat floats.

fishrdan

Admiral

Don't worry Kev, it happens to others too. I was having a problem getting my jon boat trailer latched down on the ball and yanked straight up on the lock lever too see if I could free it. Well I did,,, it came right off in my hand :eek: the lock nut was gone.... Friggin cheap Harbor freight trailer.

Luckily, the only thing gone from the coupler was the lock nut (well that and I didn't dump the trailer on the freeway) so I found a replacement nut and locktited it into place.

bananaboater

Ensign

Now we all will check out the coupler. Thanks for the update.

I replaced it, since it came off again in my back yard as soon as I went on a hill that raised it off the ball..
Spent 19.99 on a new coupler lock, learned you get it on, then tighten the nut under the coupler while on the ball.

Its an expensive learning process..but not as $$$$ as it could have been

tev2229

Seaman

Kev,

I know you're be able to fix her up good as new. Glad to hear that no one was hurt.

But seriously, there are easier ways to abrasion test hull paint. ;)

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You're not blond by chance? :D

I had an oops last summer and didn't get the pin through the drop hitch (it went through the receiver but was in front of the drop hitch) and drop it did. Only made it a couple feet closer to the lake before the tongue hit the ground. No, not blond :)