Re: Looking for help 12' v Mirrorcraft "Unstable"

finally!!!!

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00188.jpg
DSC00166.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've got a virtually identical 12' AeroCraft and they can be used to fish while standing up. I will just say that it helps if you have good balance to begin with.

My advice...go and borrow/rent a 14' "two person" canoe and fish a for an afternoon...when you get back to the little tinny it will feel as stable as a trash barge:D

BTW, I grew up fishing from aluminum boats out on the big lakes, anywhere from 12 to 20 footers, and it's fine to take any boat out if the weather permits...just don't venture too far from port and watch the horizon(or bigger boats with radar, you know, the spinning things on top, when they pull lines and head in... you do the same).

Toney100

Cadet

Thanks Bob I got it. More pics when I am finished, Thanks agian

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you are building a very nice inside for your boat...the floor may indeed help distribute the weight to aid in the balance but i wouldn't expect much.
As mentioned before, those types of boats are just going to be 'tipsy'.

Toney100

Cadet

The landscape stones helped a whole lot. I'am just not to crazy about the looks. I am trying to figer out a little bit nicer way of adding weight. Maybe build something off these brackets.

DSC00184.jpg

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

The floor is too high and the seat posts are also putting the people too high in the boat, making it top heavy.

Youll need to get the passengers lower into the hull to fix your problem. Your top heavy.

I did the same thing when i first build a deck in my 13 ft V hull boat and it was real tipsy. After i lowered he deck 15 inches into the hull <pretty much on the hull floor> it was a sweet rider.

This is mine after a day on the lake. It is a mess lol. The boat is just too small and i only use it on one lake with a 9.9 hp limit to troll for saugeye and stripe bass.

iphone041_thumb.jpg

iphone008_thumb.jpg

Good luck.
RC

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep I have a 12' 1962 sears tinny and i second the lower the better except in my sons case i use mine mainly for running trot lines. Love it cuz I can run it for four weekends on 5 gallons of gas. hate it cuz it is unstable. one time we had a rather large yellow on the jug and it kept pulling the jug under about the time we got to it. After 6 or seven attempts to catch it I told my five year old son to grab it cuz it was close to him when he did the boat shifted and he went overboard. He always has on his life vest and he can swim like a fish I was kind of afraid how he would react so I waited like a second he poped out of the water and said "Daddy did you see that? I fell out of the boat" Momma wasnt very happy when we told her but now we all look back and laugh' The truth is spend some time in it and you will get used to walking on marbles.

oh the fish got a rest while i got my son back in the boat and it took us 5 more attempts to catch the jug, and turned out to be 24" long and about 5-6 pounds I guess It was either astrong little fish or had just hooked on.

I envy the floor you are putting in yours I am not going to do mine untill I am don wtih the redo on the VIP

One more tid bit a few rather large rocks in the bow of mine seems to stabilize it a bit. your deck is adding about the same amount of weight. Which i think is what you did with the bricks.

D

DJ

I like your work but. You are starting with much too small of a boat to be doing all of that.

Look at your capacity plate, if you have one. I would venture to guess that you may have a 600# capacity (including engine).

You will be close to capacity before you sit down in it.

reelfishin

Captain

I had what looks like the same boat as you, about a 1965 or so Mirrocraft 12 footer a while back, it would rock a bit but never flipped, it was far more stable than many other 12' boats I've had. My current boat is decent but not as stable as the Mirrocraft was. However, I would never even think about adding pedestal seats to any 12' V hull. I even took out the clamp on seats I had to put my weight lower in the boat. I'm also not a big fan of adding weight to a boat, the right answer is to redistribute the weight you already have.

I built removable floor sections for mine at first, but ended up removing those and just tossing in a few pieces of foam runner to dampen noise a bit. In my experience, adding weight to an already unstable boat usually makes it more unstable, maybe even unsafe.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... As already noted,.... Nice job of Extreme Over-building...

I've got an exact copy of that hull...
With all the Stuff you built into it,.. It's OVER-WEIGHT,.. Before you step into it...
You've pretty much created a Death-trap... 10lbs of Poo in a 5lb. sack...

Roland54

Cadet

You also took the benches out, they brace the boat's sides, two people all the weight with the mods, heavy rig. I would stay in smaller lakes..

Toney100

Cadet

Almost done

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

still looking for ideas to add weight to front without those unsightly stones. I read all commets about not adding weight but it worked. Before adding weight we were scared sitting in the boat, now I'am standing in not so calm water.I also took the entire floor out and added 1 1/2" foam to the underside. My next boat will be bigger, definetly!!!! It's been a fun project. I'am 26 years old I have plenty of time to save up for a brand knew Nitro ha ha ha, maybe when I'am 80.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got my bassboat for 500$...if you check my thread out, you can see it here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=363827.

I got the motor, a rusted out trailer, and a waterlogged bassboat that floated and allowed me to fish for 2 years before i decided it was time to rebuild it.

There are cheap bass boats out there to be had. Really cheap if you want to restore them.

After all said and done, including what i paid for my boat initially, and the restore and motor work i did, i have about 3k in my boat, and it will be pretty much a brand new boat when i am done. It cost me about 1500 to restore it, 1000 in the motor, and 500 initial cost.

Good luck and be safe!
RC