Boating and camping?

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer
Trying to get some perspective here. The wife and I love to boat and fish, however I am not loaded with money and am fairly frugal for the most part. So when we do travel we camp, tent camping is ok but we would like to have a little heat and air when the weather dictates, also would like a little more comfortable sleeping accommodations.

I am trying to decide on a camper, one option is a older used motor home another option would be to get an older 3/4 ton and get a slide in truck camper.

The motor home would pull the boat, be self contained and probably get as good gas millage as a 4x4 3/4 ton with a slide in.

The concern about the motor home is launching the boat, if camping where I would have to launch and retrieve every time means we would have to break camp every morning and then set camp every evening. Or I would imagine that's how it would work.

Slide in equals less amenities (shower and toilet, I wouldn't want one in a slide due to weight.) there is a place in NC where we have camped that is very reasonably priced, but the facilitys are in poor condition.
However the option to set it up at camp and have the truck free to launch and retrieve the boat is a plus.

Anyone with any experince on this please give me some feed back on the pros and cons of both.

Thanks Jeff

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boating and camping?

What boat do you have?

Back in the 70s I bought a VW Camper with a blown engine and installed a Chevrolet Corvair drive train, complete with heat and air. I then installed an oil cooler on engine and transmission.

It towed my Boston Whaler Sakonnet pretty well. . .about 1800#. . .and delivered about 20mpg on hi test while towing, 27 without.

Seems to me that there must be modern camper vans that could do as well or better.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply JB. The boat is in my sig. it's an 18' Starcraft SS I/O.

Jeff

Huron Angler

Admiral

If you got the slide in would you leave it on the vehicle while launching or does it come out while camping for a few days?

BTW another option is to get an old cuddy cabin and sleep in the boat:)

Making me want to go camping now too Jeff, can't wait!

aspeck

Staff member

Are there no transient docks you can rent, or place where you can moor your boat overnight so you can launch when you get there and load when you leave? This would be the idea solution. Around here the campgrounds close to the water all have places where you can walk to the water's edge (even the ones farther away) so you can launch once and tie/anchor your boat at the water's edge till you are ready to head for home. If you can do that, I would recommend the motorhome.

j_martin

Admiral

I picked up a conversion van and the wife feathered it out a bit. That gives us a place to crash, and a bit of heat if needed. It's just like a car for handling. I pull a 18' tracker bass boat.

For the ultimate boating/primitive camping combination, you can't beat Voyagers National Park. The only way to get to a campsite is by boat. They supply a picnic table, a pit privy, a tent pad, a bear locker, and a beach or dock for the boat.

No fees (yet)
No reservations. Show up Sunday afternoon when the weekenders are leaving, and you can find a good campsite. Late in the week you might find yourself roughing it without a prepared camp site. You can camp anywhere, just not near another camper.
Lots of water, very nice and clean, good fishing, sleeping disturbed only by bears and beavers.

LadyFish

Admiral

Easy...

Wife tows the boat and you tow the RV or visa versa.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Huron, Yeah I'm thinking I could get to the camp off load the truck camper on it's stands. Then the truck is free to launch and retrieve the boat.

aspeck, some places we would go yes. When we camp in Ontario on Lake Nippissing there is a dock to leave the boat. However when we camp in coastal NC we will have to launch and retrieve the boat, the campground isn't on the water.

j_martin I have considered a van, but that would mean adding a second vehicle we don't need. So for the cost and comfort a motor home would be a better choice for me. I can pick up a used 80's Chevy motor home for $1,000.0 to $2,000.00, I can do the work on the running gear so that isn't a problem. I can also do any work on the camper it's self if needed, and probably will be. Campers in general if not taken care of will leak and need repairing whither it be a motor home or trailer. Also with that vintage there is very limited electrical components on the motor, so not much to go wrong in that aspect.

LadyFish, if we stayed local that might be a solution. However when we go to Canada or down south to fish the salt, we log 1,000 to 2,000 miles. So two tow vehicles with the gas burnt, not including the added maintenance and up keep of a second vehicle is cost prohibitive. Also with the wife and I going on vacation is something we want to do together, not real keen on travailing in separate vehicles.

That is why I want a combo unit for the boat and camper. I would prefer the motor home, and it would do awesome if there was always a transient slip available.

Jeff

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Aviator5, that is a heck of a concept vehicle.

Jeff

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Aviator5, that is a heck of a concept vehicle.

Jeff
I've seen it in real about 10 years ago at RV dealership. Only for 1 season it was there, probably concept never took off.

j_martin

Admiral

not real keen on travailing in separate vehicles.

That bad, huh.
I understand the budget routine. My late 80's van cost me $200. Needed a little welding.

Our dream rig is a deisel pickup, relatively small fifth wheel camper, boat on behind.

Get to camp, drop the boat. drop the camper, use pickup to launch boat and run around as needed.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you can pull a boat behind a 5th wheel camper trailer, then disconnect when you want to launch.

dozerII

Admiral

WVMedic. We went the small motorhome route first and it was a pain the but. You set your camp up then have to tear it all down to launch the boat. We did that for a while till got the M/h stuck in a gravel boat launch. We now have a small 5th wheel 23Ft Kustom Koach and pull the boat behind. It works great, I can launch the boat, go for gas or more beer and camp stays set up.
Happy Wife Happy Life
Glen

The solution I have found is having a mini van with enough power to pull my light 14 ft tinny . There is enough room for a double bed and the rest of the camping gear with a small tent is set up outside. Areostars with plenty of life left in them can be bought cheap. Easy to drive.easy on gas and big enough for 2 adults to sleep..You could even rig up a small AC if you camped in a place with power or even a small generator could work. Im talking thousands cheaper than a motor home.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We've outfitted our 18' cuddy with generator for A/C and heat. It also powers small microwave, George Forman and coffee maker. We like the porta potty which can be emptied anywhere. So we camp on the boat whether it's on the trailer or on the hook.

Okee.jpg

mermer.jpg

GeneratorFun.jpg

ACBehindHelm.jpg

We've been from SC to AK this way, sleeping aboard in WalMart parking lots (and an occasional campground for showers and laundry) when not on the water.

gonefishie

Commander

What about trade your truck in for one of those full size van with the extended top. You can rig up fold down bed attach to each side of the van.

something like these?

I see one of them in my future but mine won't be as fancy or has back row seats.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I faced this decision a couple of years ago, here is what we came up with for two adults and three kids.

We tow the boat with a 2008 Dodge Caravan and fill the boat with all camping supplies, clothes go in the van as we travel and everything we need for a week fits behind the rear seat. We take three coolers, one for meat, one for bread and soft goods and one for drinks and these go in the van once we are on-site to prevent animal issues. I weighed the boat loaded with all the gear and it was under 1700 pds including fuel, the boat weighs 1300 pds with no gear but fuel and motor.

Tents have come a long way from 20 years ago and even the cheapest tents have advanced features that not long ago you could only find in a mountaineering tent. Our tent sleeps 6 easily and we have interlocking 1/2" foam carpeted flooring so your not sleeping on the ground, our bedding rolls are self inflating memory foam units 2 inches thick...very comfortable and warm and you don't feel the ground at all. As a matter of fact I find I get a better sleep on them than a regular spring matress, after we found this out we bought a memory foam topped matress to get the same comfort at home. We often pull the center bench seat out of the van so we have a sofa in front of the fire for lounging.

We have a propane radiant heater that is hung from the roof of both tents aiming down with a remote hose leading outside to a 40pd tank away from the tent. We are never cold even down to -20C, I sleep in a bedsheet most nights as I like it cool, the top of the tent it completely ventilated under the rain fly so there is plenty of ventilation. The radiant heater keeps everything dry and warm even on low, I turn it on about a half hour before bed so its nice and cosy when the kids crawl in.

Our kitchen tent is completely portable and 12'X12' so we can all hide inside and use the overhead radiant heater if its pouring rain, rain flaps keep it dry. We have the Cabelas folding kitchen stand that holds a Coleman triple burner stove running on the 40 pd tank so everything runs off one tank (we keep one spare). We have canvas chairs that everyone sits on but also a Cabelas aluminum breakfast table that is permanent in the kitchen tent. Everything folds up into easy to carry with handles items.

Inside both tents we have Mountain bike LED lights that are very powerful with a propane Coleman lantern hanging from the stove table for broad spread daylight if you need it. The LED lights stay on low for an entire week of night use when we camp and I charge them when we get home, these are not cheapo lights and each one cost me $180 each but they are awesome and I use them when I bike so they have a dual purpose. On high they are way too bright so we only use them on low, think 40Watt Halogen car light for each one and you would be close to how bright they are.

The whole idea was being able to camp on remote islands with only the boat to get us there, it would take two trips...one for gear and one for people. We looked at motorhomes and pop-ups and decided for less than $2000 we bought all new camping gear and can carry everything with one vehicle. With the money we saved we rent a cottage once in awhile and leave the camping gear at home, we really like the idea of being able to go to different places all the time...and different fishing spots.

We can set the whole thing up in less than an half an hour and tear down in about 45 minutes. The boat cover keeps everything dry under it and with nothing in the van we can unhook the boat lock it to a tree and be mobile in minutes. Everything is in wheeled lockable boxes for easy transport and storage at home in the shed, I erect a 12"X12" tarp attached to the kitchen tent for dry goods and fuel storage for the boat.. a couple of trees are all I need to keep everything dry we don't want inside the tents.

For the cost of fuel and the price of a motorhome they are just not practical and then you have to store it, renting is far less expensive if you don't like tenting and you can go anywhere you want. We brought one of my daughters girlfriends last year and she said she had way more fun camping with us in the tent than in her parents huge motorhome, she said our beds were way more comfy!:D

If you think of it as an engineered system and fabricate items like a radiant heater hanger for inside the tents with remote hoses and LED lighting there is no reason you can't be as comfortable in a tent as in a motorhome. I grew up with a cottage with my parents and it got tiring after awhile, constant maintenance/cleaning/mowing and the same ole place every weekend got to us...I don't miss it at all. The property taxes cost us $1800 a year alone just for running water! We only stay at campsites that have showers so we aren't missing out on clean clothes and bodies, for island camping we have a portable heated shower that runs on propane...pretty sweet.

I suggest you sit down with a spreadsheet and take a hard look at what it costs with each alternative, me I prefer money in my bank account not tied up in a vehicle that we drive 10 times per year and then have to pay storage in the winter for. We really like the island exploring thing and the kids love it, many of the islands have campsites that are almost never occupied because they are remote, there is almost always a local conservation officer that stops in everyday to check on you so you don't feel isolated, the wife really likes that.

Lots of ways to skin that cat, check them all out before you go and plunk down 15-20K on a motorhome that you can't launch a boat even with a front hitch on the steep launches we frequent...seems the worse the launch the better the fishing...go figure!;)

Besides I kinda like renting someone else cabin now and then and leave the vacuuming/mowing/tree cutting for them to do, makes me feel like a rich big shot.:D

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

4JawChuck, I like you're way of thinking. Can you tell me more about the carpeting?

I haven't ruled out a van, albeit it will not be new. Think low budget, besides I need 4X4 around home in the winter, I don't use it all the time but when I need it I'm glad I have it.

Jeff