76 Johnson 25hp problem.......possibly

Had my 1648 jon boat out today and while turning a corner at full throttle the outboard came loose from the transom, I immediately hit the kill button and killed the motor. While I was thanking the lord my motor wasnt in the bottom of the lake I tried to restart the motor. Wasnt happening. I tried till I was blue in the face to restart the motor to no avail. Got home after a 45 minute drive, put it in the tank, and it started on the 10th pull. Anybody know what the deal was?

fireman57

Captain
Re: 76 Johnson 25hp problem.......possibly

The main problem is you didn't have the engine bolted to your transom (humor). If the engine was on it's side for a while you might have had a cylinder flooded with fuel or your float might have been stuck in the carb and unstuck after the right home jiggled it loose. If it continues to start up and run then I would use it, after I ran a safety bolt through my newly rebuilt transom.

The main problem is you didn't have the engine bolted to your transom (humor). If the engine was on it's side for a while you might have had a cylinder flooded with fuel or your float might have been stuck in the carb and unstuck after the right home jiggled it loose. If it continues to start up and run then I would use it, after I ran a safety bolt through my newly rebuilt transom.

The safety bolt is getting put in tomorrow. First time thats happened, but its gonna be the last

Took it out again this evening. Motor is really hard to start. Once I get it started it runs and idles fine, but for some reason it is getting too much fuel while I am starting it. Any ideas?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The float level could be a bit high.:cool: