1989 Force 85HP questions.

CDN_Falcon

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm new to boat buying especially in the larger ranges. Been riding my dad's 16' aluminum Aroliner for about 6 years now but we both feel it's time to upgrade.

Got a line on a 1989 Bayliner Capri 1750 with an 85hp force motor. I'll ask questions about what to look for on the Bayliner in the other forum.

I'd never really heard of Force or any reputation associated with them. I guess my questions are as follows.

Is a Force motor of that year/hp considered a reliable motor?

Is there anything I should be especially worried about with that motor?

Is there anything specifically that needs to be inspected?

If I do have a problem are parts easy to come by?

What kind of fuel economy should I get from an 85hp? I'm used to running all day long on 6 gallons of gas running a 20hp Evinrude.

Just to give you guys some background the boat's in Canada, doesn't seem like it was ever in salt water. Looks extremely clean from what I can see with an untrained eye. Motor apparently runs fine and will be run up and checked by the dealer in front of me before I buy. The asking price is $7200 Canadian taxes in.

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=28435906&pgno=3&srt=1

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Force 85HP questions.

that vintage Bayliner was notorious for floors rotting, and transoms rotting. the force was a motor made by several different companies. at 7200 the guy is crazy. i might be interested if it were $1000.

there are a lot better and newer boats out there for $7200.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

double posting is not appreciated on this forum, you would know if you had read the rules.

Let this post die, and see your post in, boat topics and questions.

CDN_Falcon

Cadet

Didn't think that this would be a double post. I was interested in Force motors specifically and figured that this would be the proper forum to ask about these types of motors. The other was specific to Bayliners not the motor.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

If i was you i would stay far away from that deal.i hered alot of bad things about bayliners and forces.matter of fact i just towed a bayliner in. the guy was sinking and sinking fast.i had my johny screaming the bayliner was 29 foot way to big for me to tow.and for force they were budget outboards and were build cheap and have alot of problems.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It strained your 300 hp towing in a boat?? :confused:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

$7,200?? - - - I hope you are not seriously thing of buying this rig.

On a rating scale of 1-100 I think most of the guys here would rate both the boat and motor at or near 100 (with 1 being the high rating).

I would not give $500.00 for it.

Oh - and yes I have owned two Bayiners and one had a Chrysler (Force's father) on it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't give you the complimentary time of day for it..............

Mark

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

fwiw.....I had a 1989 Force 85 Hp and HATED IT...it was noisy and used considerably more gas at part throttle than my current motor (92 Evinrude 90 hp), I spend most of my time trolling or cruising at part throttle....at WOT they are comparable in fuel usuage...about 9 gallon an hour.... parts were hard to get and when the power pack died I walked away... electrical parts are made in Haiti on that POS (I'm serious...Haiti the high tech capitol of N Amercia lol)..

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Bayliner/ Force was entry level boat. I am a Force fan but at that price the guy has an inflated opinion of both the boat and himself! even in very good condition that 89 combo is worth 1500 here in US. Don't think twice! Walk away from it.