Islander to Center console?

horiconducker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is it possible to convert an outboard islander to cc. I'm guessing the cuddy is simply riveted to the hull. How much structural integrity of the hull is provided by the cuddy top? Hoping I can just rip out the cuddy, deck in a new floor as necessary and drop a cc in. I've been looking for a 22' starcraft cc and they are tough to come by. I found one in Gaylord MI that the guy claims was a converted Islander, but it was underpowered with a 100 4strk yammie. Currently have my eye on a mid-late 80's listed on c's list, but have never seen an Islander in person to know if the coversion is possible.
Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Islander to Center console?

What you want is called a Starcraft Mariner hull. There are some out there to buy if you are patient and willing to drive a little bit to get it.

What's your location? We may be able to track one down for ya:)

That way the old islanders will still be around for those of use who are obsessed with them:D

Good luck to ya!

horiconducker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We've done the research to know that the Mariner is the preferred hull we're looking for, we just can't find them. We must go 22' vs 21' for the extra beam width. Ideally looking for a Mariner 22 with good running outboard and solid trailer. I'm in Wisconsin, but a weekend road trip is ok for the right rig. Not interested in an I/O and want to stay away from salt water rigs at all cost.

Thanks for your help.
Help me find a Mariner and I won't even think about hacking up your beloved Islanders!

Tony

North Beach

Commander

H, the 22 footer or the 220 V as Starcraft called it is deff a big water CC but I don't think they made or sold many of them. They are very hard to come by. Extra width and extra keels? on the bottom with a higher bow. Any 60's or 70's 22 footer (Islander, Holiday, or even the cuddy) would do. The cabin doesn't really provide any stability but the casting deck on the Mariners has a couple hull mounted rivits on each side that fasten the stern facing edge of the deck to the hull and a smaller stiffening stringer under the deck is the only difference. You could easily add those for fairly cheap. Take a look at my Mariner resto thread and you'll see those parts in the pics. I think these would make up for the dash in the other models that provides some side to side stiffening.

I've been toying with the idea of grabbing up one of the many many 22 foot cuddys available for cheap and making the conversion. I think one of those would make a much better big water cc than the low bow narrow 21 footer I'm currently working on.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Hi.. If you convert, and still have the front cabin windshield (in front of the cabin not cabin roof ) would you sell it ?

thanks
brian​

Huron Angler

Admiral

There is a 21' Mariner for sale in my area if you are interested. I've emailed the seller and it is available. No pics of the boat, but could probably get some if you want to check it out.

horiconducker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If i end up converting islander to center console i will definetly post to see if there are any parts people want. As of right now im not so sure of the islander i was looking at, owner thought it had been used in saltwater before he had at, ive got saltwater motors now, ive had to drill out to many snaped off bolts to go down that road again. huron angler I appreciate you keeping your eyes peeled, but i am really only interested in the 22fter for the extra length and beam. thanks

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey ducker, check the "Starcraft on clist" thread - I know it's 21' but shoot, that would be pretty close, eh!