'71 Starcraft '16 SS Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '71 Starcraft '16 SS Rebuild

Whew, I think all my sanding is finally done! Sanded the entire interior, side rails, rail cap, bow cap, consoles, splashwell and bow seat support. All is primed except for the driver console. So many holes in it that I am still wating for the second coat of JB Weld to dry. 1st coat of blue on the boat and the passenger console. I am going to wait until I get the splashwell back in before I put the blue on it. I used some of that new Stone paint on the side walls and it looks like it will do a pretty good job. Getting the new bow board back in and the holes lined was pretty time consuming, but my wife came out and helped, which made it go a litle easier. Cleaned the windshield frames and installed the new Plexiglas, gonna wait until I get it installed to remove the covering tape! Now it's time to relax and watch my Lakers!

DSCF3105.jpg

DSCF3104.jpg

DSCF3102.jpg

DSCF3101.jpg

DSCF3100.jpg

DSCF3098.jpg

Darren

colwllce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That boat is lookin real sweet my friend. Keep up the good work!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! Nice Starcraft project! Paint looks awesome as does that trailer resto! Keep it up! You'll have a sweet rig when you're done! Pardon me if you had said and I'm just forgetting but - what do you plan to power it with?

Btw, just noticed you're from Greencastle! Howdy neighbor! I'm from Shippensburg! ;)

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Singin. Sorry it took so long to reply. We put in a new computer operating system at work four weeks ago and the jib has been just plain crazy. Yes we are neighbors, I was lookin at your resto a couple of months ago and thought about droppin u a line, as I have some friends who live in Ship and they have boats as well. Okay now for some updated pics and i have even more on the camera that I need to upload. gettin real close now, goin on vacation starting next weekend at Lake gaston on the VA/NC border. First few pics are of the bilge pumps I put in and the platform I built for the auto 800. Used leftover cutting board and wire nuts!

DSCF3124.jpg

DSCF3126.jpg

DSCF3128.jpg

DSCF3129.jpg

DSCF3130.jpg

Darren

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Next work completed. Got the interior boards cut and covered in the Nautolex.

DSCF3132.jpg

DSCF3133.jpg

DSCF3136.jpg

DSCF3137.jpg

Cleaned all the trim!

DSCF3134.jpg

Darren

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the side trim, I had to improvise as money has gotten tight on the budget.
I cut aluminum flashing to fit in the channel and pulled it through. I then used RV trim that was not thick enough to fill the channel by itself on top of the flashing. I used 3M trim adhesive to ensure it stayed put. Did not tuen out too bad and only cost me 10.00 bucks to do both sides. Now it does not work as rub rail anymore but it does look good as a trim piece.

DSCF3109.jpg

DSCF3114.jpg

DSCF3112.jpg

DSCF3116.jpg

DSCF3119.jpg

Darren

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could not find a 12 gallon tank that would fit so I went with three six gallon tanks. I plumbed them all through a 4 way valve so i could just switch between tanks as they ran empty. I placed the valve handle in the splashwell. I had to move the water seperator as I couldn't get the one tank to go back far enough and it makes it easier to change filters in this location.

DSCF3143.jpg

DSCF3142.jpg

DSCF3152.jpg

Darren

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Started on the wiring next. i places a 1 1/4 inch schedule 40 pipe in the gunnel and wire tied it to the bolts holding the trim on. I then hit it with Great Foam and it is solidly locked into place. I then mounted my fuse box under the dash and ran service to it. It is protected by a 100 AMP Maxi fuse mounted by the battery.

DSCF3148.jpg

DSCF3147.jpg

DSCF3144.jpg

DSCF3146.jpg

DSCF3145.jpg

Darren

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking great. I really like the speckle paint on the interior and how it looks with the nautilex.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Really nice work Stratos! I think we used the same color nautolex vinyl, I've been very happy with it since it cleans up nicely.

What did you do exactly to clean up the aluminum trim and corner pieces? It turned out nicely and I have yet to tackle that on my rig.

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!

EZ, The paint I used was the Rusto "STONE" paint. It goes on thick and covers blemishes well.

HA, I used my die grinder with medium Roloc dics to remove all the buildup and whitened out anodize. I then rubbed it all down with Never Dull and cleaned it up with an old baby diaper. It has some swirl marks in it, like machined metal, but it still looks way better than it did!

Darren

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now back to some more pics! I know how much everyone loves em!

My daughter has been a huge help in this restore, especially with all those little SS nuts and washers in tight places. Here she is after we finished the consoles.

DSCF3153.jpg

DSCF3154.jpg

DSCF3158.jpg

DSCF3159.jpg

Darren

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Motor is hung and fired right up after following the "awakening a stored outboard" post in the outboard section! Made the plate and huge washers out of some aluminum stock I had in the metal pile.

DSCF3171.jpg

DSCF3175.jpg

DSCF3176.jpg

Darren

Last edited:

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the seats in tonight along with the bow cushions my wife and I made.

DSCF3165.jpg

DSCF3178.jpg

DSCF3179.jpg

DSCF3180.jpg

DSCF3183.jpg

Darren

oggy1971

Cadet

When you applied the gluvit to the outside of the hull did you do the rivets or the hole bottom.
Thanks Brian

Triton II

Commander

Wow Stratos, what an inspirational job mate. Love the neatness of your work and the way you've managed to retain the classic beauty of the original boat while updating it. Excellent work and can't wait to she her splashed. :cool:

TII

Status
Not open for further replies.