'71 Starcraft '16 SS Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '71 Starcraft '16 SS Rebuild

I did not tip the sides as the paint bubbled and then laid out smooth. I used a four inch foam roller and put the paint on really light. I do not see why you could not just use rustoleum primer and sand before applying the top coat.

Darren

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Wow...that's all I can right now ;)...Wow...looks awesome Darren!!!:cool:

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wheels and tires came in tonight, as promised here are the before and after pics of the trailer which is now all complete, except for spare.
New parts:
1. Smoke Gray Rustoleum Paint
2. Hubs and Bearing Buddies
3. Winch
4. Jack and Chains
5. Springs
6. Wobble, Keel Rollers and Bow Stop
7. Wheels and Tires
8. LED Lights and Wiring

Friday evening We'll flip the boat back over and put her back on the trailer.
Before Pics

DSCF3018.jpg

DSCF3041.jpg

DSCF3039.jpg

DSCF3042.jpg

DSCF3040.jpg

Darren

Huron Angler

Admiral

That's gotta be one of the nicest trailer restos I've seen, well done!

It looks almost as nice as the boat:) The rig will easily roll onto that thing. I am dreading the cost of replacing all my rollers with new ones but that will be later on.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well would you look at that, a brand spankin new trailer!

Excellent!:D:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Really nice. How did you clean it up prior to painting?

bananaboater

Ensign

Wow, nice work. If you put your boat on it few will be able to see how much work you put in it. Inspiring.

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys. EZ it was the good old 4 1/2 inch grinder and a flapper wheel, actually two of them! I did not sand the trailer smooth, just removed all the rust and corrosion. Layed down two coats of auto primer and two coats of Rustoleum Gloss Smoke Gray. I was really happy with the paint as it was the first time I had used a spray gun and compressor since high school. I bought a cheap gun from Harbour Freight when I picked up my air riveter( had a coupon LOL). I thinned the paint with mineral spirits, until I got a good flow while practicing on an old cardboard slipsheet from work.

Darren

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not much done this weekend, the honeydo list had grown to " I can't put off anymore" proportions.:( But on a good note because I got most of them done the honey helped me flip the boat today and put it on the trailer.;) My daughter and her friend helped as well, we just walked it out of the garage and rolled it over in the grass. The it rolled right up onto the trailer.
DSCF3071.jpg

DSCF3076.jpg

DSCF3081.jpg

DSCF3084.jpg

Darren

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks even better right side up! Really great work on both the boat and trailer.

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the noodles and 2" foam in tonight. Used 2 full cases (64). I put them down the keel as well with 1 Sheet of 2" foam board on top. My daughter split the noodles down the middle to get full coverage to the edges of the hull. This should really help to insulate the water noise and allowed me to get more foam in. Also got all the floor riveted down. Used 1" grip 3/16 aluminum rivets and the deck pulled down nice and tight. Had to drill out all the rivets I put in on the aft piece and re-rivet, note to self, if you measure and make marks then change yor mind and remeasure and put new marks down, erase the old marks. I was pretty well heated at my stupidty! I dipped each rivet in 5200 and got the whole things buttoned up finally.The new riveter i bought was one of the best 20 bucks I ever spent! Start sanding on the interior and topsides tomorrow.

DSCF3085.jpg

DSCF3090.jpg

DSCF3087.jpg

DSCF3088.jpg

DSCF3093.jpg

DSCF3095.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Wow you are making some good progress!

You fit more noodles in there than me but I did use some foam on the sides too. My ski locker did cut into the space a bit.

Nice work, that would probably exceed the Coast Guard requirements:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Awesome progress stratos!!! Looking really good!

bananaboater

Ensign

Got the noodles and 2" foam in tonight. Used 2 full cases (64). I put them down the keel as well with 1 Sheet of 2" foam board on top. My daughter split the noodles down the middle to get full coverage to the edges of the hull. This should really help to insulate the water noise and allowed me to get more foam in.

Good idea to slit noodles. The more flotation the better and hopefully it will never be needed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You are doing really really fantastic work on this boat. Your flotation is so beautiful it brings a tear to my eye :D

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went to work on the transom tonight. Got all the holes drilled, filled with 5200 and bolts in. Had to wait for my order of SS bolts to come in from Fastenal. Expensive little boogers! Cut a new transom plate from a poly cutting board and replaced the old wooden one with it. Thank God my carpenter buddy could come down and help with measuring and drilling all the holes, as I was not thinking earlier and threw away the old transom!:eek: This weekend will be all about riveting the cap back on, putting the front deck back on and the splashwell. Then sanding everything down and laying on the Bikini Blue topside and White on the transom.

DSCF3096.jpg

DSCF3097.jpg

Darren

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Wow your moving like an automated assembly line nice work!
LOL, I stole our cutting board to make a transducer backing mount, wife laughed as she knew we could use a new one anyways...keep that momentum going and she'll be backing down the ramp in no time.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

No kidding^^^^^

You are breezing through this rebuild! Man everything looks very sharp and you are moving fast! Great job!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice paint job, I really like the wheels too!

Status
Not open for further replies.