• Trust it

Votes: 73 43.2%
  • Bypass it

Votes: 96 56.8%

• Total voters

jonesg

Admiral
Re: VRO YES or NO

Premixing is inconvenient but as long as you remember to mix it you are getting lubrication. I have an "OIL" sticker on the boat gas tank filler since I converted to premix. Never forgotten to do it but it kind of hits you in the face at the gas pump as a reminder. When I am filling cans to take to the boat I always put the oil in for next time as soon as I have emptied them into the boat tank. I have run the lawn mower on 50 to 1 for as long as I can remember.

Unless.... you got a clogged carb, in which case we get nada either way.
whoopie!

I kept my OMS system because the previous owner had just replaced the pump, as long as its not MY money it works for me.
Its not a system without benefits, the ratio of oil to fuel changes as required.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

clogged carbs will usually give you enough notice, that the problem can be cured, before damage.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Unless.... you got a clogged carb, in which case we get nada either way.
whoopie!

I kept my OMS system because the previous owner had just replaced the pump, as long as its not MY money it works for me.
Its not a system without benefits, the ratio of oil to fuel changes as required.

There is very little variation in the fuel ratio with the OMS, that's why they took the V(variable) out of the name.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

I have an '89 J150 with VRO 2. Still seems to work fine but I'm curious about the above mentioned OMS...what is it, how is it different and would it work on my motor? Thanks for your input.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I have an '89 J150 with VRO 2. Still seems to work fine but I'm curious about the above mentioned OMS...what is it, how is it different and would it work on my motor? Thanks for your input.

Basically the VRO & VRO2 ends with the 1992 engines and is replaced by the OMS for the 1993 model year. Most replacement kits that have been installed by authorized dealers since then are of the OMS type as well.

There are kits for updating the wiring from the three wire VRO2 harness but if you order the correct OMS kit, the wiring upgrade parts are included.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Basically the VRO & VRO2 ends with the 1992 engines and is replaced by the OMS for the 1993 model year. Most replacement kits that have been installed by authorized dealers since then are of the OMS type as well.

There are kits for updating the wiring from the three wire VRO2 harness but if you order the correct OMS kit, the wiring upgrade parts are included.

I think he ment, what physically is different about the VRO style pumps and the OMS pumps!

what does the OMS do and how does it do it...DIFFERENTLY from the VRO's???

bob

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Burn out 2 pistons instead of 4 right, great cost saving for something built by the lowest bidder. VRO got my no vote as usual. Dumbest thing ever invented besides Ficht DI. A $500 option to make boating simpler or a scheme to sell more motors.VRO on my chainsaw, weedeater, lawnboy??? Why not? Cause I value my motors. My 50 had it but the gent who owned the boat had it disconnected,why you ask? The $3000 rebuild job created by a faulty VRO. OMS from what I know is light years better but I still wouldn't trust it.

Wow, you have just hit on one of, if not THE main misconception about VRO/OMS that was spewed about by incompetant mechanics and spread through rumor by people who don't understand how it works and probably don't understand how much of anything works.

How would it ever be possible for a VRO/OMS to burn up 2 pistons instead of 4??? Do you think the VRO/OMS is deciding...hey I don't really feel like supplying the correct amount of oil to this one carb, but I will totally supply this other carb with the correct mixture??? The pumps mixes and sends it out, it doesn't decide which carb to send it to, each carb gets the same exact thing coming out of the VRO pump. If it wasn't mixing correctly it wouldn't mix correctly to ALL carbs, not pick and choose.

That is EXACTLY what most crappy mechanics blamed on the VRO and the people they were explaining it to didn't know any better and spread it around, and now all these years later people are still spreading it around.

The reason it's not on your chainsaw, weed wacker or lawn mower is because it's pointless to put an additional tank on those pieces of equipment to hold oil, especially when a 4 year old could figure out how to mix 2.5 gallons of gas correctly.

You can't say it's the dumbest thing ever invented, when it has worked flawlessly for millions of people for over 20 years, most of which are running way more oil through the pumps than you will ever run in your 50 with premix. Mixing may not be a hassle for you with your 50, when you have to measure out enough for 6 gallons, but for others who have over 200 gallons of gas on their boat and go through that every few weeks, how convenient do you think mixing in gallons and gallons of oil would be....every other week??

What is dumb about having a perfectly safe and reliable oiling system so you don't have to figure out how much oil to add to 163 gallons of gas, while at a gas dock with a line of boats waiting behind you? Not having an oiling system on something like that is dumb.

I'm not gonna get started on your complete misconception of DI on this post, as it's about VRO/OMS. But in a nut shell, DI is probably the best innovation ever made to outboards.

jonesg

Admiral

With all the outboards everywhere in the boating world its odd that they never developed a 2 stroke fuel pump at the marina fillup pump on the dock , adding oil with the gas.
Something got in the way of simple ingenuity and replaced it with over-design.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

This was done at one time back in the sixties. Fell out of favor for some reason.

sred137

Seaman

Is their anyplace to buy a rebuild kit for the fuel side besides maxrules.com?They want 135.00 dollars and for what the kit contains that is out of this world in my mind.

And I have heard that even with the rebuild kit their still could be problems with plastic valves in the housings?Is any of this true?Did they make this 350.00 dollar part just to be thrown away when it goes bad?That would be my problem with the VRO.

jonesg

Admiral

Does Sierra make a replacement pump,
the rebuild kits don't always work out.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Does Sierra make a replacement pump,
the rebuild kits don't always work out.

No.

The rebuild kits sold by Bill Kelly at Maxrules.com actually consist of two kits, parts #0435921 and #0436095 which are available through any BRP authorized dealer. However, you may not find the support offered by Mr. Kelly with other sources .

sred137

Seaman

I'm with you on the customer service EZ.The website is great.but a couple of weeks ago he had the rebuild kit for 99 dollars and now it is 135.The wife is already having a fit about the boat.Just trying to keep it cheap.LOL.Like anything for a boat can be cheap.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Wow, you have just hit on one of, if not THE main misconception about VRO/OMS that was spewed about by incompetant mechanics and spread through rumor by people who don't understand how it works and probably don't understand how much of anything works.

- I obviously hit a nerve. It's a matter of opinion here Cricket, I'd love to see the statistics of how many motors failed because of a failed VRO system vs how many motors failed because of premixing fuel. Let's face it, 8/10th's of the population don't even know how to change a tire, but we expect our gas and go type boaters to shut down the motor cause the VRO is failing??? Half of them log on this site and start asking questions about alarms and the system and if their motor is screwed because of a failure. The other half like me who don't have faith in the system don't have to ask such questions cause we mix and go and don't have failures cause of lack of oil or failed pumps or bad alarms or gummed up systems or cracked oil lines. Not to forget the grocery list of maintenance the systems adds to any motor.

How would it ever be possible for a VRO/OMS to burn up 2 pistons instead of 4??? -

This was in response to mixing a little in the gas with the system working to what "kenmyfam" said.

That is EXACTLY what most crappy mechanics blamed on the VRO and the people they were explaining it to didn't know any better and spread it around, and now all these years later people are still spreading it around.

-Spreading what around, that the system can and will fail someday and have the potential to take out your $12000 motor? What about the "good" mechanics who discovered failures due to a bad VRO system. We aren't talking about an outboard you bought for $5 on sale at Sears, we are talking about outboards people remortgage their houses to puchase. Damn right people should be made aware of it, its a choice to run it and a debate and people need to see both sides. Just like the Ficht, some people have ran them all their boating lives, some have had them in the shop 20 times. Funny how people buy a Ficht after going used boat shopping and then end up on Iboats posting "I bought a Ficht,uh, will it be ok on my boat????".

The reason it's not on your chainsaw, weed wacker or lawn mower is because it's pointless to put an additional tank on those pieces of equipment to hold oil, especially when a 4 year old could figure out how to mix 2.5 gallons of gas correctly.

- Go look at some of the posts on people who FORGET to mix oil in the gas and take out their motors, I'd hardly classify that as a "4 year olds" mistake. I agree with your reasoning, I haven't had a 2 stroke motor fail due to lack of lubrication, that was kind of my point.

You can't say it's the dumbest thing ever invented, when it has worked flawlessly for millions of people for over 20 years, most of which are running way more oil through the pumps than you will ever run in your 50 with premix. Mixing may not be a hassle for you with your 50, when you have to measure out enough for 6 gallons, but for others who have over 200 gallons of gas on their boat and go through that every few weeks, how convenient do you think mixing in gallons and gallons of oil would be....every other week??

-I'm saying VRO is and was the dumbest thing ever invented (I didn't once mention OMS as being the dumbest) , and if it was so good, why was VRO changed out to VRO2 after just 2 years. No alarm on VRO and changes to the design. Designs that are "tried tested and true" by nature stick around for years, not 2 years.

What is dumb about having a perfectly safe and reliable oiling system so you don't have to figure out how much oil to add to 163 gallons of gas, while at a gas dock with a line of boats waiting behind you? Not having an oiling system on something like that is dumb.

-I'm thinking your leaning on the OMS side, I'm sure the people that run 163 gallons of gas in a fill up aren't placing their money on the "vro system", thinking they either have DI or OMS. I wouldn't want to have to mix that much oil and gas but then again I don't have enough time or money in my life to run 163 gallons of gas in an outing and if I did it would be a nice twin big block setup on my Baja.

I'm not gonna get started on your complete misconception of DI on this post, as it's about VRO/OMS. But in a nut shell, DI is probably the best innovation ever made to outboards.

- BRP's version, agreed

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Bottom line here is,
If you put the oil in yourself you know it's there as long as the fuel pump is pumping. If you are using a VRO, VRO2 or OMS system it could fail. Warning horns, buzzers, bells, whistles etc will let you know if there is a failure but what do you do when 30 miles from shore ??? Possibility is to carry enough 2 stroke oil with you to pre-mix what is remaining in the tank. Hey guess what, you are now a pre-mixer !!!
You pays your money and you takes your choice.:D

dozerII

Admiral

I have really enjoyed reading the post on this topic, but expected the poll to be a lot mor lopsided. I think I have made the decision to premix and I always have in the past. The intructions for breakin for my motor says to premix the gas a 50 to 1 as well as use the VR02, so if i am not going to run the VRO should I mix at a higher ration of oil for break in?

Thanks Glen

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

After my own personal experience I would ditch the VRO!!!! I have had 2 fail. I premix.....

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I have really enjoyed reading the post on this topic, but expected the poll to be a lot mor lopsided. I think I have made the decision to premix and I always have in the past. The intructions for breakin for my motor says to premix the gas a 50 to 1 as well as use the VR02, so if i am not going to run the VRO should I mix at a higher ration of oil for break in?

Thanks Glen

Double oil for the 8 to 10 hours of breakin.