repainting the trailer

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys i am going to have to repaint my trailer this year and i am going to have to replace my bunks. i have some good rust spots all over the back 3/4 of the trailer that i am looking at gringing down and re primering and painting the front of the trailer still looks new but the other parts are looking bad. so what would be the best thing to repain it with.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Last edited by a moderator:

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: repainting the trailer

Looks nice. I'm thinking of doing mine too, so I'm glad this thread was started. What do you do about rust inside the rails where you can't grind or paint easily?

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pretty much what i wanted to do sand it down prime it and then repaint it in a flat or low gloss black thats the color it is now. i just want to know what paints to get to stand up to the salt water decent. i have a gravity gun. i shouldnt have to spray any type of clears on it either? i lucked out as my trailer is all channels and sealed up but the outer rust is a killer. i guess i need to take a quick trip to the dupont paint store soon

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard great things about Rustoleum paint for a few marine applications. A good, marine primer is the key- that way the Rustoleum can stick and stay on. I know people that use this for painting their drives and are happy with it- should work well for a trailer that's dry most of the time.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think i can get that at the lowes now we getting easy here lol

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Call a couple boat places and see what primer they recommed or make sure you get an answer here on iboats. I don't remember what type I read about, but I remember that everyone made sure I knew that the primer was the key component.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea man primer is a big plus i paint everything with primer usually a few coats of the stuff. then a few coats of what color i want to use. i will wait for an answer here and do some more research.

i hate this crap i just finished re doing my 4 wheeler and now i got to start the boat and pay for my hunting lease... fiance is starting to get cranky cause we are getting married this year and money saving is hard. lol o well i will make it through

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea man primer is a big plus i paint everything with primer usually a few coats of the stuff. then a few coats of what color i want to use. i will wait for an answer here and do some more research.

i hate this crap i just finished re doing my 4 wheeler and now i got to start the boat and pay for my hunting lease... fiance is starting to get cranky cause we are getting married this year and money saving is hard. lol o well i will make it through

here is a quick link i have found http://www.roddapaint.com/diy/how-to/re-paint-boat-trailer.aspx

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

They also sell a 'cold galvanizing' paint if you like the galvanized look. I have a galvanized trailer on mine, but various other parts had some surface rust on them. I wire brushed, sanded and sprayed on some cold galvanizer and it matches the original galvanizing near perfectly. No idea if the paint is any better than normal rustoleum or similar, but it's an option nonetheless. My 20 year old trailer looks brand new. Likely the easiest part of my boat restore, but made one heck of a visual difference.

Don't forget to rebunk, reroller, restrap, rewire and reu-bolt as needed. No time like the present to replace those corroded u-bolts and leaf springs.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

So...what do you do about the rust that might be inside the tube of the trailer?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

What do you do about rust inside the rails where you can't grind or paint easily?

you either sandblast it or get in there and sand it down by hand. I did mine all by hand. it wasnt as bad as it looked once i started in on it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think he means a fully boxed frame. No way to get in there. My solution, get rid of it. I had a terrible experience with one. I'll never have a fully-boxed painted trailer again. Rotted from the inside out and not a heck of a lot you can do about it. My favorite part was the rusty water dripping out of it staining my garage floor. Ugh!

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm...that's exactly what I'm talking about. Bummer news. Guess I'll be looking at trailers this summer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to hear that df909. Being fully boxed lets them (typically) get away with using thinner steel. So it's even more easily structurally compromised by rust.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's good advice in this thread. If the painted trailer has been waxed before, consider using wax remover solvent before priming or painting. Paint hates wax. A decent paint to use, if your trailer isn't expected to look great, is to spray on black undercoat paint, sold at auto supply stores. This is a good sealant paint, sticks well, and lasts. Not too pretty, though. Rust removal, a bit of sanding, and wax removal are still inportant, tho.

For those with boxed steel trailers: Put a level on the trailer frame when it's in the normal storage position. If it's nearly level, standing water in the frame tubes will hasten rusting. Raise or lower the tongue for better drainage inside.

Larry

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have the boxed frame i always keep my tongue up to let it drain out. i am undecided if i want to paint the whole thing or just clean the rust with the grinder and spot paint it. i will call the local sand blasting place tomorrow see how much the quote me on a price to just blast it and then i will prime and paint it.

mphy98

Lieutenant

POR 15 is a great paint over rust primer. It knocks the rust out cold. Then paint over with top coat. I have used this on some hot rods I have built in the past. Rust wasn't terrible, but it did stop it from coming back.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have the boxed frame i always keep my tongue up to let it drain out. i am undecided if i want to paint the whole thing or just clean the rust with the grinder and spot paint it. i will call the local sand blasting place tomorrow see how much the quote me on a price to just blast it and then i will prime and paint it.

I would shy away from spot painting it unless you have a perfectly matched paint for it. Otherwise you are going to see all the spots you painted and they may stick out like a sore thumb.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not really worried about it all the spots are under the trailer not to much on the outside area where you can see them.