Swim Platform Location?

actaeon9

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

I recently found a great deal on a used swim platform for my 1987 Wellcraft 190 Classic. I am in the process of mounting it, and was looking for some opinions on mounting height. My wife and I have done our best to think of all scenarios (On plane, getting to plane, etc and think we have found the best location. (Please see link for multiple images..please excuse the dirt, haven't cleaned her up yet for spring :)). I'm about 7 1/4" below the rub rail in the center (6 1/2" or so on the sides).

Can anyone shed some more light on this, or is there a standard the pros use?

http://picasaweb.google.com/RSDImages/SwimPlatform#

Thanks Much!

Dale

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Swim Platform Location?

I don't see anyother place for it to go, so go for it.
I see thru hulls just above it and the outdrive is below obviously.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

looks decent to me

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks about right from where I'm sitting....I would guess you dont want too low as to be in the water while underway but you also dont want it so high that you have trouble getting yourself up on to it from out of the water..... Like the last poster said you dont have alot of vertical movement anyway so if you are off you are only off by an inch or 2"...

Philster

Captain

Pics of my Scarab swim platform height and other boats.. transom tie down eyelets are below the platform. Platform is well above water line and outdrive.

Attachments

• scarab4.jpg
    scarab4.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • aaa-iboat-02.JPG
    aaa-iboat-02.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0

Philster

Captain

I've got a huge pic of a boat like yours with the bolt-on platform just as high as the integrated platforms.

You pic shows it sitting very low. Get up near the hull/deck joint.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I don't know, looks good to me. It's about the right spot for climbing out of the water. Typically it would be mounted right under the rubrail, but then you'd have to move some other stuff. Your tow eye is going to be very close so I'd keep an eye on that if you tow skiiers or tubes. Obviously your stern D-rings can't be used anymore, but it's a small price to pay. :)

Philster

Captain

It's gonna be draggin' in the water the way you have it pictured.

SX21Extended_swim_platform_w_ladder.jpg

NavywithSilverandYellowGraphics.jpg

actaeon9

Seaman Apprentice

I thought it was a tad on the low side as well. I seem to remember the Scarab's being right below the rub rail, and the ski eye being above it? I'll check out the pics you posted (Thanks for that). Thanks to all for the replies, I'll do some adjusting and post some more pics tomorrow.

Also, as a footnote, I was so psyched to get this platform, It's in like new condition, and actually has the Wellcraft logo in the center. Width wise fits like a glove as well. I only payed $120 for it...seemed like a steal! :D

Regards,

Dale

MRS

Commander

I have been looking to do what you are doing and the back of my boat looks almost just like yours. Sweet deal you got I would try to put just under the rub rail and move the tow ring up above the platform that way you can also still use your d-rings for trailer tie downs. If you can take the boat out and check out where the water line is and what the platform will do when you really hit the gas from a stand still. Plus when you go from the inside of the boat to the platform it will not be a big step down..... I will be sweet this boating season for you good luck and post some photos when your on the water..:)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Just look for the scum line on the hull and adjust it from there.

Some people like them right at the surface of the water so you can get on them easily with no ladder or step while swimming. Others want it up higher so you can stand on it and not get wet and use it to mount a cooler.

It will not drag in the water whether its mounted high or low, on plane the entire transom is dry.

MRS

Commander

It's gonna be draggin' in the water the way you have it pictured.

SX21Extended_swim_platform_w_ladder.jpg

OOOOOOOOO, That is just what I have been looking for:D but my first mate said NO WAY so I guess that platform would do.;)

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks low to me as well, but with the tow hook and the tie down hooks seem to be screwing up the best location for you.

Philster

Captain

Go above the transom rings. Tie down to a trailer is now ok. Relocate the center ski rope attachment higher up. It will require minimum effort to cover up that little hole, and the repair will essentially be covered anyway.

If you are up for mounting the platform, moving the tow rope attachment is nothing at all. And that really needs to be higher up, above the platform.

So, then you have proper order. Transom rings lowest. Platform next. Tow point highest.

actaeon9

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again for all the replies!

We ended up moving the "Temporary" position up to the base of the D-Rings (will move d-rings down as well). This presents two issues...First is that the bilge pump outlet is dead in the way, (not too big a deal, just don't like having a 3/4" hole to fill). More importantly, the Ski Eye is now only about an inch above the platform. I can only move it up about 1.5 inches before the rub-rail, which only gives us 2.5 inches of "Slope" for the tubing rope before it rubs on the platform. (the platform sticks out 18 inches). Anyways, I'm scared to move the Ski Eye up to above the rub rail because it's just fiberglass up there, no wood like the transom. Thoughts?

Who knew there was so much to think about when mounting one of these :)

Thanks

Dale

skargo

Banned

Here's a pic of mine, it seems to be just right as far as height is concerned.

n554955651_8181497_6481226.jpg

actaeon9

Seaman Apprentice

Here's a pic of mine, it seems to be just right as far as height is concerned.

n554955651_8181497_6481226.jpg

Is there reinforcement behind the Ski Eye on yours or just the 1/4" or so of fiberglass?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I thought it looked pretty good where you had it... Keep in mind different boats will sit different in the water..... I'd want it about 6" above the water line.....

haulnazz15

Captain

I don't see anything wrong with where it was set in the picture, either. I would simply fill her full of gas and get a cooler full of ice/gear in the rear and put it in the water. Once you see where the water sits on the transom, I'd go up an inch or so and make a mark to install the platform. If you configure the height to be above the water with the heaviest conceivable load you would normally carry, you should be good to go. Even if you ended up with a load that had the platform touching the water, it wouldn't hurt anything. Once you got moving the platform would be out of the water, especially once on plane.