Electrical Problem

TP Bayliner

Recruit
I have a 2000 Bayliner Bowrider with a Mercrusier engine. When I took it out of winter storage the battery died as soon a I turned on the blower. Since it was a 7 year old battery I went out and got a new one. When I hooked it up switch the cables an it shorted, I went back and got a new one but the only thing that is getting power in the tilt on the outdrive. Under the dash fuses all appear good. Even though it sounds like I shouldn't be touching anything any suggestion where else I sould look before bringing to I shop?

Last edited:

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Electrical Problem

Probably blew the fuseable link. I'm not all that familiar with your setup but the link will be in your main wire bundle, usually covered with massive doses of electrical tape. Just look for an area that is "fat" - should be your link in there. Most automotive stores will carry what you need, no need to pay marine prices. Also, just an afterthought, try to reset your engine breaker. That's gonna' be a red button somewhere around the engine - again - not familiar with your setup. Give it a good, hard push. They're not a dainty creature. You didn't mention if your engine turned over or not. Any running lights?:confused:

TP Bayliner

Recruit

gcboat Thanks for the reply. It sounds like that could be it. The only thing that has power is the outdrive I can lift and lower it. Are you saying that I need to cut and peel back the tape to check the link.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

No, don't cut anything. I may of been a little hasty on my reply. Did a little searching and it 'may' be something else. Give Bayliner a call @ 877-861-6494. Even though you shorted out something in the system there are too many things that it could be. I'm still thinking some type of fuse, but where it is or which one it could be baffles me. Hate for you to start slicing things apart if you don't need to. :redface:
Let me know what they say - be interesting to know the answer.

TP Bayliner

Recruit

I am all set with this problem. It was the fusable link that was blown but it didn't look like a fuse. The part is located on the starter and it is a square cermic piece the the power and starter wires are connect to. Easy to fix and cheap enough, $20 bucks.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you got it all squared away. Next time watch those battery connections. :D:D:D