87 Sea Ray Seville Restore

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 87 Sea Ray Seville Restore

That serious commitment to boating using the anchor in your driveway.

LR Custom

jonesg

Admiral

exterior grade ply is great but it has to be dried out before using, I'd use ply rather than 2x4 .
If you must use 2x4 it ought to be pt and you're back to drying it out again.

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey LR...We have some heavy rains here!...:)

Pete

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it's update time. after loosing 3 daaays to the paycheck and the rain we finally got back to work on the floor. Man were those seat risers tough. 3 hours cutting and pulling and pounding. I know that it is worth the effort. I so much want to be on the water now.
These risers were completely full of water in the foam. there was plenty of ways from the top for water to get in, but no way for it to drain. The new seats are Wise Back to Backs and they work different than the original Sea Ray design. Thank the good Lord for that. If I were replacing factory I would make sure there is a way for water to make it to the bilge. Why take a chance on trapping water in your boat.

Will post pic on saturday to update everyone.

LR Custom

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LR

Going with pedalstle seats on mine....With a svial lock mount..The replacement "lounge" seats which IMO are expensive and I know the 8 years I had my boat I never used them..I'm 6'2" and that would be ackward....

Pete

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

March 14 2010 update.
I had great weather this weekend and we started rebuilding the bow area. So far we got the wood basically cut and shaped and dry fitted. This weeks pics sow he dry fit for the bow. The forward area that has not been fitted yet is going to be a wider deck than the original. It is to be a fishing deck so it needs a larger area for standing on. the floor which originally was glassed to the sides will be a lift out floor. I thought the original ski locker was good but I would like to be able to access the entire area. So the plan is that the forward floor that you see in the pics would be framed in by using aluminum angle pieces attached to the side boards and supporting the floor. A bolt system would be used through these angle to secure the floor. That way it's locked down for use and easily removed for service (drying) or other reasons. I think it will actually make the forward locker bigger.
The fiitting of the wood at the curved areas on the deck services was simple with the aid of making a template out of a large print stock I had on hand. I knew these old building plans I keep would one day be usefull LOL.
The internal pieces that fit up to the hull line inside the original lockers was a bit tricky. Lots of measurements, lot more measurements, a little cutting, then recutting, then do it again 3 more times. Oh what fun.
Now we are ready to start the Glassing. I don't think the temp. was warm enough yet. It was 75 for a bit but I think since I am working outside that I need 70 deg. to be more constant to ensure the cure of the resin.
That's it for now will update as we go. The building instead of destructing, gets my hopes up and I think I might make my deadline to be on the water the 1st weekend in April. It's been a lot of work so far but very enjoyable. I love building things.
IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/...ville 3-6-2010/Sea Ray 3-14-2010/IMG_2771.jpg
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/...ville 3-6-2010/Sea Ray 3-14-2010/IMG_2770.jpg
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/...ville 3-6-2010/Sea Ray 3-14-2010/IMG_2769.jpg

LR Custom
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=376954
87 Sea Ray Retore

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

looking good lr, making excellent progress, helps keep me motivated

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ezmobee
Thanks for the compliment. I sure like the look of your bow. Nice clean lines, it looks great. Got me to thinkin that I might put a small locker up front like yours. It be small but still more storage space.

Anyway thanks again for your comments and I will keep everyone updated as I go. Loosing a couple days to rain. Man do I need a shop.

LR Custom

Badweed

Seaman

lrcustom,

I must have missed it, but are you going to cut out all that old wood, or simply add new stuff and new glass overtop?

Steve

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Badweed,
No that is an illusion. What you are seeing is the resin coat that was on the bottom of the old wood. Sorta left an impression of the old wood. Since i am working out side I left it in place to protect the foam because the foam was try and I wanted to salvage it. When I am ready to layup the new wood and glass it will get removed as you can see in the foam below the consoles. Glad you asked though so every one understands whats going on with the rebuild. Basically if it's bad it's outa the boat that's the plan

LR Custom

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's funny. I was also confused!

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ezmobee,
I didn't realize how much it looked like wood in the pic's until you mentioned it. Guess I need to be more descriptive of my pics. Anyway I removed that illusion from the boat last night. It looks much better now will post more pics later. The rain has me stopped for today so I guess I should do something to earn my paycheck.

LR Custom

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey LR

You leaving original foam in ???.....My foam was not totally dry anywhere..:(

Pete

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as the resin goes....you can mix it hotter for temp changes in weather...Great job on the woodwork!...I noticed you said "we"...Good to have help!...(Most of us here don't)

Pete

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pete,
The forward blocks and those under the consoles were dry. I decided to reuse them. The one up front in the bow I had to remove to get the old wood out and reconstruct the new wood correctly. As far as under the deck that foam is wet on the port side next to the tank but as you go outward it was fine. Most if not all the foam under the deck will be replaced. I plan on using the sheet foam as it does not absorb water. I still have a lot of work to do to get ready for the new deck, stringers and other stuff, but I think it should go back together fairly well.

Hows your's goming along?

LR Custom

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pete,
I know I can mix the resin to work in colder temps. I just have had bad luck with other projects (cars, lawn tractors and speaker boxes) I have found thea it is hard to adjust and can cause a brittle layup. I just like working with glass between 70 and 85 degrees. I've had better results. Could be just the way I do it and not anything to do with the resin.
As far as the we... I have a little help from my son who has skills but not much time for Dad's project. But any help is better that no help and he really has done a lot of the destruct part.

LR Custom

Stampeder

Seaman Apprentice

lrcustom:

It turns out that you and I have exactly the same boat. Even the colour is the same. I first posted about mine here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=206276 some time ago.

It's been a while since I bought the boat and started on it (couple of years actually) but I'm getting back to it now and I was wondering if I could ask you to post a few pictures of the engine compartment and the rear supports around it. Mine have almost totally rotted and I am left without patterns with which to build new ones or even pictures so that I know what they even look like.

Thus any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. By the way I'm located about 28 miles north west of Tyler, Tx.

Glenn.

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Answered in your thread. I think that we all expect the glass work to look fabulous but lets be honest it's difficult work. it's slow work, It's hotter that hell right now. So if we get the glass layed and we know it's bonded then we should be ok. I think your work looks just fine.

LR