Jeep Wrangler as a Tow Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Just occurred to me that there must be some on here who would have some insight on what i am planning to do this year for a tow vehicle.

I have a '94 Wrangler with the 4 cylinder. Have a class 2 jeep hitch that I will install, not a bumper hitch. (Maybe it's a class III, but from looking at the jeep and the hitch, I would say the hitch might handle Class III ok, but I wouldn't want that much weight behind a jeep...)

I will be towing my '64 MFG Niagara (about 1000#), the 19' Starcraft (1600#) and occasionally a 3300-pound-gross trailer I use for tools.

The Starcraft is new to me so I have not towed it, but I have towed a different 3500#-gross tool trailer and the Niagara with a '94 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight (3.8 V6) with no problems. The Niagara I have towed with a Citation, Caravan, Toyota Pkup, 2000 Saturn LS, all with 4 bangers, and never had any issues- good braking and feels good towing.....Well the caravan and toyota pkup lacked a little power, but other than that ;)

The tool trailer is not yet built. I intend to build it to register under the 3500# cutoff as a gross, but will include electric brakes since the other one- a 3500# gross single axle Pace American- although legal was not fun to stop on gravel or slippery roads when other drivers required sudden braking. The Olds 98 would stop it OK, but the trailer jack-knifed a few times but fortunately never enough to cause an accident!

The new trailer will be a single axle enclosed trailer with structural urethane foam R15 insulated ceiling and walls, steel roof, steel space frame, foam insulated plywood floors, and aluminum sheathed sides. About 5x12 interior and will be no more than prob 3000# - 3200# loaded. The Pace was 6x12 and had a lot of stuff in it that I will never carry now.

Anyone who has used a jeep wrangler to tow with is welcome to share what you think of it as a tow vehicle for these boats and utility trailer. The boats are my primary concern - I can move the job trailer with a friends truck if I need to.

Looking forward to your input.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Jeep Wrangler as a Tow Vehicle

I too have a 94 wrangler and I tow my 10' jetboat all the time

BUT:
I'm sorry to tell you that for bigger stuff a wrangler is a TERRIBLE tow vehicle..... It's ok for jetski's and such but 1000 lbs is on the top end of what it can safely tow.... The high center of gravity, forward weight bias and soft springs make it VERY easy for the tail to wag the dog.
People talk all the time about the huge trailers they pull but there lots of cases of them being jacknifed too...... I pulled my dad's 18' alum tracker with a 65 hp outboard once but it was only 4 miles and never got over 35 mph.... it was stable enough but even at that speed the steering felt mushy coming out of a curve

EDIT: I have seen a rating of up to 2000 online with a braked trailer but I still feel that over 1000 is risky at highway speeds.....
it is a stability issue.....

Huron Angler

Admiral

I believe you will be ok with the boats...is that 4 banger a 2.5L? I drove a 4 cyl Jeep Cherokee with 2.5L and it was able to tow reasonable loads up about 1200lbs comfortably.

My main concern is this new Starcraft you mention...welcome to the club:)

We'd love to see some pics over in the starcraft forums on iboats, you should start a thread and post some:D

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Thanks guys- was hoping for a half-dozen comments or so, and this is a good start.

I notice several outlets sell class III hitches for the Wrangler, but holy smokes! A Jeep towing a hauler with a car on it sounds insane! They do have the little tiny text that says "do not exceed vehicle's tow rating" but why build the hitch?!

Starcraft: it came to me cheap, no motor. Pretty good shape- under a bunch of slush and yuck right now. One a nice trailer; coupla things I don't like on the trailer but I have a welder:p

When I get going I will pict-ument it on here. But SHHH! I'm an MFG guy...;-) I needed a Champlain boat though, and I couldn't find a Sprint close enough to look at or cheap enough to be worth going through.

timmyjoebob

Seaman

According to what I've read elsewhere online about Wrangler's tow capacity, the 3.8 V6 has a 2000lb capacity. You have a 4-banger. Your owner's manual will tell you yours. I'd guess 1500-1750lbs.

I've owned two Wrangler's. I wouldn't want to tow ANYTHING. They are too funky in emergency manuevers.

Towing your 3500 lbs enclosed trailer sounds dangerous and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you. Sorry to be blunt, but I think that's being irresponsible.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Thanks for the input.

Would love to hear a few more iboaters's thoughts about towing with a wrangler. Going to tow with it- just need to know how much others have maxed out at or have actually towed and decided it was too much. If i am dissuaded about towing the starcraft I will simply off-load the jeep.

According to what I've read elsewhere online about Wrangler's tow capacity, the 3.8 V6 has a 2000lb capacity. You have a 4-banger. Your owner's manual will tell you yours. I'd guess 1500-1750lbs.....Towing your 3500 lbs enclosed trailer sounds dangerous and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you. Sorry to be blunt, but I think that's being irresponsible.

#1 I don't have an owner's manual, that is why I am asking here
#2 I am asking here because I figured that out of 100K members, somebody would have done it and offer real world experience
#3 I could care less about a 3.8 motor's "towing capacity". I am a lot more concerned about braking and sway.
#4 I was going to ignore the fact that it sounded like you didn't read my question well, but then I just came across your posts on another towing question. I think you are rude. I was asking a question about what others have done, not towing a trailer I have not even built yet. wow. But thanks for making sure I realize I am not an idiot.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I believe you will be ok with the boats...is that 4 banger a 2.5L? I drove a 4 cyl Jeep Cherokee with 2.5L and it was able to tow reasonable loads up about 1200lbs comfortably

Yes, 2.5l. However, the cherokee has a little more mass than a wrangler.

My saturn LS tows my 14' Niagara (1000+ lbs or so) just fine- that is a 2.2 and the car is smaller. But it brakes and handles well, and will run 65 on the highway with power and brakes to spare. SO I figure the wrangler will tow the Niagara OK- wondering about the 19' Starcraft and curious about the construction trailer basically.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I answered your question VERY well.... I have 2 wranglers and have had 2 others..... I have towed everything from jetskis to 200,000 lb construction equipment all over the country..... the other fellow was indeed rude but he was also correct.... just because the jeep is heavier and bigger does NOT mean it can tow more..... I have seen wranglers balled up in the ditch with an 8' popup camper and with a 14' alum boat and a 25 on the back..... 3500 lbs behind one is downright foolish... If the use is as a tow rig you need to sell it ...... absolutely with no doubt it is not safe for that load at all

D

DJ

Mark,

It's not the power, drivetrian or even the brake capacity that limit the Wrangler.

It's the wheelbase.

They are great for what they are. However, they are NOT a good tow platform.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I answered your question VERY well.... I have 2 wranglers and have had 2 others..... 3500 lbs behind one is downright foolish... If the use is as a tow rig you need to sell it ...... absolutely with no doubt it is not safe for that load at all

Yes, you did answer it very well and had already decided to take your advise. Thank you. I just won't tow the work trailer with the Jeep- simple.

DJ- the wheelbase thing makes sense. I hadn't considered that- was mostly concerned with braking stability and the soft springs which would seem to promote the tail-wagging-the-dog idea that was mentioned.

Sorry, I shouldn't have gone off on the guy. I was enjoying reading good stuff and then checked in on this thread; I was just offended that other poster implied that I would be irresponsible. I just have never towed with anything like a wrangler- a lot with pickups and cars and even a minivan (which worked surprisingly well) and I was a little confused by the availability of a Class III :confused::eek: hitch for the wrangler. Common sense said it would not be a good idea (hence asking the question) but I didn't want to assume I knew everything- maybe I was missing something.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Differences of opinion on both the poster and responder side of issues arise all the time so when you ask a question on a forum (any forum) people are generally helpful and offer "their opinion" which may or may not be based on personal experience, but rather on experiences they have observed or known about from neighbors or friends. As so often happens, the poster asks a question that includes a great deal of information supporting his/her thoughts but gets a little upset at the suggestion that this may not be a good idea. After refusing to accept several negative responses, someone jumps in with a "head slap" remark that suddenly brings reality into the mix. As it turns out, the poster generally overlooks an issue -- as in the case of short wheel base in this thread. That aspect, along with the anticipated load, braking ability, high center of gravity, all combine to make for a less than ideal situation. To summarize this nonsense, you need thick skin to participate in on-line forums, especially if you intend to ignore advice and then argue the point.

If you want another example of "irresponsible" just mention that you operate your boat without insurance.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Mark,
There are a couple other things to consider..... the rear driveshaft is VERY short.... if at some point you choose to move a heavier trailer a short distance at low (25mph or less) speed you can be fine but check the rear drive shaft .... I smoked the rear output seal on mine because the driveshaft was pushed into it with too much tongue weight... I was moving a 5000 lb 500lb tongue weight load offroad at 10 mph

My dad has a 2008 Wrangler and wanted to tow my 16' boat. I told him no way, no how, not ever. The wheel base, lack of vehicle weight, and not being designed to tow items of significant weight were why I was so against the maneuver. He told me that I was being a bit irrational. It was tough standing up to my own father but I wasn't just thinking about our safety, but the other folks on the road.

When safety is an issue, never do the minimum to get by. That goes for towing especially. Always use equipment that is meant for the job.

Jeep Man

Commander

As the name implies, I've had and still have a few Jeeps. I have towed with them in a very limited capacity. The term used in a previous reply "the tail wagging the dog " describes every move. Things can and will go squirrely real quick. I tow my small (very small) utility trailer on occasion, and would take the boat out of the water and the 1000ft at low speed to my property, but that would be it.

DuckOfDeath

Seaman

Even the 6 cylinder versions have a weak towing capacity due to the short wheelbase. The unlimited version is rated for 3500, however. I read long ago the low tow capacity rating is due to the short wheel base. Dangerous to meet or exceed those ratings and expect to safely stop at any real speed. Sucks because I've always wanted a Wrangler.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Jeep Wrangler is a poor tow platform due to reasons that have already been stated. Consider this, Uhaul won't rent you a trailer if a Wrangler is to be the tow vehicle. If they are going to pass on money for a rental, they must have data that shows the risk is high with that vehicle.

surge006

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a 2004 jeep wrangler with 4.0l standard trans. The jeep has plenty of torque to be capable of PULLING alot of weight. I pull 2 dirtbikes with a 50 gallon water pail and say another 200 lbs of gear to the races on a 5x8 open trailer. Yes i do know the trailer is behind me and when i brake the back end of the jeep lifts up, do to the trailer wanting to still push me. If i were to jam the brakes i would be in a ditch. They make class 3 hitches for them to acomadate the 2" recivers and other items that are easier to get for them. And the weight that it is rated for is WITH the hard top on it for rigidity. Everything you buy has higher rated weights why ? cause thats what people want to hear. Bigger is better right ?

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Mark,
Just another chime from experience. A friend of mind attempted to use his Jeep Wrangler to tow a 17' bow rider about 2 miles from its storage location to the boat ramp in the Keys. About half way there, he stopped and called for someone to pick-up the boat and return it back to storage. I made the 3 hour each way trip.

teachknowlegy

Recruit

The Jeep Wrangler is a poor tow platform due to reasons that have already been stated. Consider this, Uhaul won't rent you a trailer if a Wrangler is to be the tow vehicle. If they are going to pass on money for a rental, they must have data that shows the risk is high with that vehicle.

Just wanted to say that while I don't disagree with the other posters about Jeep's towing shortcomings, UHAUL sucks as an example. They won't rent to you if you have a Ford Explorer at all. They will rent *anything* to a Jeep Wrangler with hard top. The rules are not setup there by a reasonable human being at all. I used to have only a soft top Wrangler and a Ford Explorer. They wouldn't rent to me. I then obtained a Geo Tracker hard top and they rented me a trailer to tow a 3500 lb car. DUH, the tracker isn't even 3500lbs (neither is the Jeep). I took the trailer home empty and used the Ford. My insurance told me they would cover it that way, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.