Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: '80 18' Starcraft SS restore

WOW..... Super nice work!

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW That looks awesome 86!!! Like the upholstery!

86 century

Ensign

Looks good to me! How did you get the bow cushions made? I'd like something similar for mine.
Thanks everyone; EZ those cushions are out of a '77 Imperial luckily they are new and the vinyl matches.

86 century

Ensign

The closer I get to the end the more I find still needs done. If that makes any sense at all. Well anyway finally got the swim platform on there. Sounds easy enough right. Well this one was made to fit something else and I didn't want to put any new holes in the transom. So I end up reshaping and shorting both tubes.

P5041113.jpg

This really cool and extremely dirty top that came with another boat luckily it fits pretty well. I love it; she needs one of the seams sewn up and a good cleaning what do you think.

P5041117.jpg

P5041123.jpg

P5041116.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That top looks like it fits super well! You save yourself a pile of cash over vs. new, that is for sure!

86 century

Ensign

Well after all the work it was finally splash day. It was nice and calm no one around she floats off the trailer fires up and runs like a top. Top speed is 53mph at 6000rpms with just me and ten gallons of gas so i filled the ballast tank(400#)top speed is 52.4 at 6000rpms. The rpms are about 500-600 high at WOT and the hole shot is on the verge of scary so i think i need to ad a blade and come up one or two inches of pitch on the prop. I am going to go find one of the prop gurus for some help. The lake is still low and there are tons of logs and sticks floating around witch is not uncommon for this time of year.

P5061129.jpg

P5061130.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

She sure looks sweet on the water, good speeds you're hitting there, gonna need one of those helmets with a full face shield:D

Nice work, glad to see you enjoying the new rig!

86 century

Ensign

Thanks HA I still have a 200rude hanging on the wall that should make that 16'er of yours fly.Yehaa!!!!!!!
I was in a hurry earlier and forgot to mention that the ride was great feels solid with no strange noises so far. I do have one or two issues with the eng and prop set up. I only have a 19p turbo and a 24p something crazy around the hub exhaust to test with. Oh yea picked up a new cover today also.
P5061134.jpg

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lookin' good. How does your top attach in the rear?

86 century

Ensign

Looking' good. How does your top attach in the rear?
It has two snaps on each side. They were there and in right place. It was odd how well it fit even though it came off a much larger rig.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It has two snaps on each side. They were there and in right place. It was odd how well it fit even though it came off a much larger rig.

Thanks. I couldn't quite make that out from the pics. Are the snaps screwed down into the gunwale?

Where did you find that back seat?

86 century

Ensign

Thanks. I couldn't quite make that out from the pics. Are the snaps screwed down into the gunwale?

Where did you find that back seat?
Yes; the snaps are snaps are just screwed in to the gunwale.

I made the back seat. It wasn't that hard and there is storage underneath. She folds forward for accesses to the bilge. I guess i didn't go in to much detail on how I built it.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey 86...I forgot to ask you, what goes over that center area on the steering wheel? Mine is missing whatever came from the factory.

If it's yellow and you still have it I will take it off your hands.:D

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes; the snaps are snaps are just screwed in to the gunwale.

I made the back seat. It wasn't that hard and there is storage underneath. She folds forward for accesses to the bilge. I guess i didn't go in to much detail on how I built it.

Thanks. I was thinking of something similar for mine. At 16', spacing feels a bit cramped, and since I have a family of five, it would be nice to have a full bench in the back in case I have to pull hellions from the front.

Triton II

Commander

Just went through this thread from the start... great job 86, with the right prop she'll be a missile!!! :cool:

I'm still amazed how many Starcraft restos are going on over there in the good ol' US of A.

Nice to see so many tinny lovers on the other side of the World, we love our tinnies too! :D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, it's been a while since I've been in here...super job 86! :cool::cool::cool:
How's that rear seat access? That's still the same dimensions as when we talked about it, isn't it? Looks great!

86 century

Ensign

Wow, it's been a while since I've been in here...super job 86! :cool::cool::cool:
How's that rear seat access? That's still the same dimensions as when we talked about it, isn't it? Looks great!

Thanks; Yes it's the same hight. I can just get over it. Although it's not to bad to set down on the gunwale and flip it forward to get behind it.

86 century

Ensign

Hey 86...I forgot to ask you, what goes over that center area on the steering wheel? Mine is missing whatever came from the factory.

If it's yellow and you still have it I will take it off your hands.:D

I don't have that part either. I am still trying to decide which wheel to put on.

86 century

Ensign

Just went through this thread from the start... great job 86, with the right prop she'll be a missile!!! :cool:

I'm still amazed how many Starcraft restos are going on over there in the good ol' US of A.

Nice to see so many tinny lovers on the other side of the World, we love our tinnies too! :D

There are a lot of these things around my area(they are made about 80miles north of me) The way this one rides i can see why people like them so much. So far this is proving to be a versatile hull it will through a huge wake with the ballast tanks full and overtrimed or a super flat wake for slalom.