Computer RAM Problems

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Well, my computer has started running slowly so I ran a diagnostic with my security system-Norton 360.
It said RAM was low so I called Office Depot and asked about expanding my memory. They have 1 GB chips for $30.
They said my computer can take up to 2 GB-I currently have 512 MB.
If I were to buy two of these and replace my old chip with these, would I notice an increase in speed? Also, what files will I lose if I remove the old RAM chip?
Another thing, is this something that is easily done or does a pro need to do it?
Thanks in advance

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Computer RAM Problems

It's hard to have too much RAM. And you will be able to tell the difference. Things will run a lot quicker. Price wise it isn't too bad. And it isn't hard at all. It is just unplug the old one and plug in the new.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You will be able to access more programs at one time.... you will not have a loss of any information......

The chips are plug and play...... at most a 5 minute job to install.

Just make sure the store knows what machine you have..... LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN but have it turned off when you do the install. This will take advantage of the grounded plug and be sue you touch the computer case so you are not transmitting static.

Un-snap the old chip and snap in the new one. They can be hard to seat but when you turn on the computer check your SYSTEM in the control panel to see if you have 2 Gig registered....... If it only register's one then you must open the case...un-snap both and re-snap them in.

Memory upgrade is a very easy DIY project.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think your operating systems has a little to do with how much RAM you can actually take advantage of.

Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Memory Support. The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB. However, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports 32 GB of physical RAM and Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports 64 GB of physical RAM using the PAE feature.
The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. When the physical RAM in the system exceeds 16 GB and the /3GB switch is used, the operating system will ignore the additional RAM until the /3GB switch is removed. This is because of the increased size of the kernel required to support more Page Table Entries. The assumption is made that the administrator would rather not lose the /3GB functionality silently and automatically; therefore, this requires the administrator to explicitly change this setting.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

My desktop is 8 years old. It had 256. About a month ago, I put in a new hardrive and upped my RAM to 1k, the max I could run. I could tell a world of difference....As said before, it is plug and play. Had I know how easy it was, I would have done it years ago.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Also, what files will I lose if I remove the old RAM chip?
No file reside in RAM chips. They are what's called volatile memory which means when the computer is off, they lose all of their contents. Files are only stored on your hard drive.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I've got an Acer with XP pro,...
I saw a deal on ram,+ bought 2 1gb chips...
I swapped 'em out, removing the 512 that was in it...
Shortly there after, the 'puter would go to black sceen,+ I'd have to push the button to shut it down for restart...
After a few times of this, I pulled 1 of the 1gb chips out,+ reinstalled the 512 in slot b,...
No Problems since...

Moral of the story is, even though this box should support the 2gb ram, it won't....
But even the 1.5 ram is way faster than just the .5 ram...

waterinthefuel

Commander

Ayuh then something was wrong. I've never heard of a computer not being able to use the max amount of RAM that it says it can use by the motherboard manufacturer and I've been seriously into computers since 1995 and owned too many to count. You MUST make sure you have RAM compatible with your board. It sounds like you either didn't, or had bad RAM. (assuming you had it plugged in correctly.) RAM is about the easiest and best way to increase performance in a so-so computer.

It does need to be reiterated that Win XP in 32 bit (the normal one, most people have the 32 bit version) can only support 3.25 gigs of RAM. That means, as I discovered myself, even with 8 gigs of RAM on the board it says you have 3.25. I pulled out 4 gigs of the RAM and it still says I have 3.25. So I have 4 gigs of RAM in a bag waiting for my eventual switch over to Win 7 64 bit. I tried Vista 64 and it booted up in about 8 seconds but wouldn't play any of my games.

Edit: Any 32 bit OS can only support 4 gigs of RAM, including Win 7 32bit or Vista 32 bit. It's a limitation based on having only 32 bits of whatever, it only allows for 4 billion (4 gigs) unique whatevers. LOL I know, not clear but thats how I understand it.

j_martin

Admiral

Ayuh,... I've got an Acer with XP pro,...
I saw a deal on ram,+ bought 2 1gb chips...
I swapped 'em out, removing the 512 that was in it...
Shortly there after, the 'puter would go to black sceen,+ I'd have to push the button to shut it down for restart...
After a few times of this, I pulled 1 of the 1gb chips out,+ reinstalled the 512 in slot b,...
No Problems since...

Moral of the story is, even though this box should support the 2gb ram, it won't....
But even the 1.5 ram is way faster than just the .5 ram...

There's about 100 different kinds of ram, having to do with speed, and buffering tricks. Modern ram runs 133, 266, 333 400, 566, 800 mhz, etc.
It can be dram, ddr dram, ddr2 dram, (different shoveling techniques, basically)

Point is, more often than not the quickie at Office Max either will not work, or will detune and lose a lot of performance.

The best bet is to look up your make and model at Kingston memory, find out what fits, order it from them, and it'll be good.

Another item is that you need to understand about electrostatic discharge and protecting against it when you handle memory. One little spark of your finger, not even enough to feel, will usually wipe out memory.

If the computer ran with new memory at first, and shortly went BSOD, (blue screen of death) then ESD damage is probably what happened.

What happens with memory is that a computer program has to be loaded into memory to run. Windows tracks where it is, and if there is not enough memory, the oldest pages are sent down to the disk drive, freeing memory for the next task. It keeps track of it, and if the original program needs that page, it'll move something else and copy it back into memory. That process runs about 100 times slower than memory access, so if much paging is needed, the computer will be slow as molasses in January.

hope it helps
jm (the network guy)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Another thing you can do is prevent a lot of things from starting at boot up that aren't necessary and are memory hogs. You may want to have someone who knows what they are doing start msconfig and get rid of startup items that aren't necessary.

You can also run the task manager to see what your current memory usage is. If your computer has an onboard graphics controller. It will use a portion of your 512Meg so you need to get rid of any non essential programs at startup.

If you are running XP, you really should have 1 Meg minimum.

By the way, Norton is a memory and processor hog and that is why I would never use it.

j_martin

Admiral

By the way, Norton is a memory and processor hog and that is why I would never use it.

This is common knowledge, but will probably get the thread locked for flaming Norton:D

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Wow I never thought I would get this many responses to this thread!!
Thanks guys so much for all the info you bestowed upon me:D
I am also quite honored to have started a thread that recieved a rating. (This is a first for me:D)
Looks like all my quetions were answered so I do believe I will be heading out to get a couple chips.

Thanks!!

dolluper

Captain

Check your motherboard....open the side panels and see the manufacter and board model number then google it .....then you will know the maxram your board can handle and what type....buy low density ram,as high density ram is mothorboard sensitive [specific]

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might just want to take the RAM that you already have to a computer store and ask them to get you the same type...just more of it.

Most newer ram moduals have labels on them now telling you exactly what type they are and size. Keep in mind some motherboards (MB's) require that you use matched pairs. You can tell by looking at the MB's. If you see 4 RAM slots and there is one stick of RAM in each pair. Pretty good chance you need pairs.