Call me cheap... but...

mphy98

Lieutenant
My son and I went to Bass Pro to get resupplied for one of our Canadian fishing trips in June. (spring fever. cabin fever) We saw some very pretty boats. Very nice but very expensive. 20K for an 18' fishing boat. I thought, my word, I could redo my old one five times over for that. With the prices of used boats and the little use most get, why would anyone spend that type of money? A couple of years ago We bought a tracker new, but it was at 2year old new model and got it very cheap for the summer place. But my old 79 thundercraft does the job quite well for Canada and I would not feel horrible if I hit a Canadian rock fish with it. I don't think I have $1200.00 invested in it not including the electronics and it is a wonderful old boat. Not to knock the new purchasers as I have bought new in my younger days, but now I am older and wiser. They sure were pretty though. AND such BIG motors!

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Call me cheap... but...

You can go ahead and call me cheap too then:)

I call it "fiscal conservatism" and can't wait to get on the water on my "new" 1979 Starcraft after I'm done restoring her.:D

Sure I could've financed a 20k boat but I already have student loan payments and I'm saving for a house too. I figured I had better get my boat prior to buying a house while I can.

Those new outboards are awfully nice, but they don't help catch fish any better than my '71 merc;)

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just about anybody can do new, It's a lot harder to do old.

A nice old boat always stands out.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

You're not cheap, but you ARE intellegent! :D

New boats are for the rich people.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have read any articles around the boating community you probaly have noticed some companies going out of buisness or filing for bankruptcy. From what I understand the used boat market is still fairly strong. I would attribute this to the fact that most boats are not daily use as say a car. So if a used boat is cared for even though it is 5+ years old it is still in great shape.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm rebuilding a '76 18' Starcraft SuperSport. I'm using the designs of new boats for inspiration. I'm not cutting many corners. Heck I spent a grand on seating. I'm keeping track of my expenses. Not sure what all I'll have in it by the time it's done but I bet it's going to be a heck of a lot less than the $25k it would cost to buy the equivalent new boat!

haulnazz15

Captain

The main advantage to some of the newer boats is that they contain little or no wood in the transom or floor/stringers. That means the boat will likely last much longer and upholstery/engine will be the only items needing replacement as time goes by. However, buying a 20K fishing boat is just silly, much less the 50K versions like the Nitro Z9's, etc. Unless you are getting paid to fish in tournaments, there's not much reason to have a rig that nice/new.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i call it efficient. bling does nothing but get in the way, more to maintain, repair. i also just want a good, safe basic boat.

basstracker219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think its harder for allot of people to buy old rather than new.

blairjbyrd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My brother calls me cheap all the time. I just bought a 1996 SeaDoo Speester with twin rotex engines for $1500 on a trailer. The guy told me it didnt run so I bought new batterys, spark plugs and spark plug wires. Then I rewired everything on the boat. Went to see if it had spark and it did. So I put the spark plug back in and filled it with fresh gas and it fired right up. Now I have a play boat for under $2000 and when I sell it I can prob make some money on it.

Everyone can me cheap all they want too but I now have 2 boats that I paid under $7000 for total. I still have money to fill them up with gas every weekend.:cool:

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

yea, I was at the local boat shop getting a lid for my livewell that I built out of plastic. I too bought an old boat to fish the canadian waters,while here is was looking around at all the pretty new boats, but I too am in the process of redueing my boat, uses the ideas that the new boats use.but there are features on my boat that you won't find on the new ones. I have two gas tanks on mine 1 inthe hull in front and another in back, both tied together with and electric soliniod. i can carry almost 40 gals( i need that much for canada) besides that first rock Im bound to bounce off with a new boat would leave an ugly mark, so call me cheap too, but my old boat works as good as a new one but just not as pretty.

gss036

Commander

Nothing cheap about being wise. I am still running my 1989 23WA. It cost me as much to repower as I paid for the whole rig new in 2-89. It has been stored inside the barn since new and still looks good as new. I don't think I would ever put out the money for the new ones like mine, probably around 80K now.
I still have my 12 ft 1968 Smoker Craft aluminum lake boat, no need to have a new shiny one.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I'm absolutely with you on this Mphy. I'm a frugal guy as well...not that I don't like looking at the new stuff...it is undeniably very very nice.
That said, they saying buying a brand new car is the worst investment you can make....but at the very least you use it everyday (not that I would buy a brand new car). However buying a new boat at 'new' dollars......I don't know how someone can do it, unless they do it blindly and are overcome by 'crow syndrome' (love of shiny things:D).
If you are rich...knock yourself out. However here is a litmus test for any regular guy buying a new boat....withdraw all of your money out your bank account in hundred dollar bills and walk in put your money down...one $100 bill at a time. I'll bet any reasonable thinking (and financially responsible) person would grab that stack of dough after about 30 or so $100 bills and walk out. When you are actually watching yourself spend it $100 bucks at a time I think most people start to think twice.:eek:
The thing to remember is all of that money is 'after tax' money so the amount of time you had to put in to earn it is not truly reflected.
With the economy the way it is...a lot of these types of shiny new 'quick' buyers are now selling their spontaneous indulgences...so thats the way to step in and buy a nice, top condition boat...after these guys have taken it on the chin.;):D
My two bits.
BP

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I guess I'm a bit different than most it seems. At this point in my life I have more money than time. Don't want nor have the time to spend time fixing up a boat to save a couple of bucks becouse in the end it's going to cost me money.

My first boat was a fixer upper. I spent a great deal of time and effort getting back into tip top shape. I kept it for 3 years before I decided to sell and get something a little more suitable for what I was doing. If you figured in the time I put into the boat as a cost I basically gave way all the hours I put into it. I?m not doing that again. I'd rather pay up front.

If you enjoy rebuilding boats that?s one thing. If you enjoy using boats, thats another. ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I will never buy an "OLD" boat again but I will buy 2 or 3 year old boats to get the majority of the depreciation out of the way. When I bought my 3 year old boat, I paid $22K for a boat that the original owner paid $42K for.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Dingbat. In my job and family life, time is precious to me. I would much rather spend the time out on my boat enjoying it with my family than rehabbing something I have to strip down to the hull and rebuild. But, some people enjoy that and I respect that. For me though, I will look at a very late model boat that I can avoid the initial depreciation on. This topic always reminds me of the Harley Forums I was on at one time. There where folks that ride shovels that swore everyone who had one newer was a rich snob. Buying a new or newer boat does not make one rich, maybe that is what that person wants. If they can afford it, let them have at it. I do not appreciate some of the comments I have seen in other threads on this topic that allude to the rich, spoiled title of a new boat owner. Too each his own.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

People buy new "because they can". That obviously also means there are some that buy new and shouldn't, but that's no different with cars, houses, or lawn mowers. If you can afford to buy new and actually "want" new by all means do it. If you are content buying used and can deal with the generally higher (but highly variable) maintenance costs then that's fine too. I don't understand why anyone would jump out of a perfectly good airplane but people do it so who are we to judge what other people do. In an free-market society wise people take advantage of a situation. Situations arise most often due to people making unwise decisions.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Buying a new or newer boat does not make one rich, maybe that is what that person wants. If they can afford it, let them have at it. I do not appreciate some of the comments I have seen in other threads on this topic that allude to the rich, spoiled title of a new boat owner. Too each his own.

While I would probably never buy a new boat, I agree with the above statement. I am not able to allocate the percentage of my income towards my boating hobby that a new boat would require. I am envious of those that can. Perhaps if my wife and I weren't putting 30k+ miles a year on our car, thus assuring we'll need a replacement every few years, we could swing a new boat.

I have told my wife that my 18' SS is the last boat I'll ever buy. She doesn't believe me. I did assure her that I make no promises about outboards :p

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have told my wife that my 18' SS is the last boat I'll ever buy. She doesn't believe me. I did assure her that I make no promises about outboards :p

Ahhh, the caveat! Wise man, you are. :)

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

the more new boats are sold the more cheap used ones will be on the market.