Can I take my U.S. boat to Canada to sell?

Bull_n_rut

Cadet
I received a phone call from a gentleman today and he wants to buy my boat I have for sale. He said he would pay extra for me to tow it across border and meet him for the sale. Being from the states, I am unaware of the Canadian laws. I would assume there is an import tax, registration fees, blah blah blah. He says he don't even need the title. If I take the boat to him, sell it, and drive home with a money order, what kind of laws would I be breaking? I want to do this the right way and not get bent over at the border for something stupid. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can I take my U.S. boat to Canada to sell?

If it were me, I wouldn't take the boat across the border. One of the first questions that they are going to ask you at the Canadian border will be "What is the purpose of your trip?" and your answer will be????

Likewise, on your return trip to the US, your border agents will ask "What are you bring back with you to the US?" and your answer will be???

I live close to the border and cross it many times each year. These guys know the questions to ask and they are all business.

Even if these questions are not asked and you get back to the US with your money, this guy is looking for trouble by not bringing the boat and trailer legally into Canada.

In order to get the trailer licensed he will have to provide documentation as to ownership. The boat also needs to be registered with our Federal Goverment and in fact we now have to carry the proof of registration with the boat - who knows what will happen, when he is checked and they find out the boat is not registered, and the appropriate taxes (federal and provincial) have not been paid? There are other issues.

If he wants to buy your boat and you want to be extra nice then tow it to the border and let him take it from there.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats, Bull...

Its not that difficult to do it legally.
Our family has done it with an atv, computer, and several household appliances.

Canadian border patrol/customs agents will usually ask you if you plan on leaving anything in Canada.

Fill out the forms, pay the tax, and away you go.

The boat should be that easy.
THe trailer will require an inspection, registration, fees, taxes, etc.

It would be much easier for him to meet you on the US side of the border, and they are less likely to hassle him too much as he is a Canadian citizen.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds so much like a scam. Drive home with a money order???

Tell him to come to you. I've purchased a boat in the US and it is so much easier to import it back here to Canada. It is true he doesn't need registration, but he does need a state release form, or the property can be seized by the Canadian Border Service so they can ensure the property is not stolen.

Be very cautious, because again............IT'S A SCAM !!!!!

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

I've purchased 3 boats in US and brought them to Canada. That creates no problem whatsoever. But if you bring the boat into Canada and sell it to canadian that may create a lot of problems to him. One of the boats I was going to purchase was american, but stored in Canada, and after doing some research on the net I found that it should be brougt back to US before I can purchase it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with Aviator5. but you must help get all the necessary documents Canada requires. i have sold several boats that have been exported. buyer pays all levies and taxes.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't put the border hassles on yourself. If you bring the boat across the border and come back without it, you're the one they are going to come after. Have him meet you on YOUR side of the border. Let him take the boat across the border. He will have to pay GST and probably PST. Not sure if there would be any duties.

Bigprairie1

Commander

If you strike a deal, offer to tow the boat to a U.S based place near the border to meet him. This is more than fair and he needs to take the boat and trailer (with the correct paperwork) across the border himself in order to obtain the correct transfer paperwork. Otherwise he will be unable to register and insure the boat in Canada.
That said, its not too uncommon to have a lot of interest in boats from Canadians. There are some great deals in the U.S right now by comparison so its a good opportunity to sell. As a Canadian, I surf some U.S craigslists all the time to do some price checking and I wouldn't hesitate to try to strike a deal with a U.S seller and then negotiate a bit of shipping and trailering to shorten the trip.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
BP:):cool:

Bull_n_rut

Cadet

Thanks guys for all the responses. I kind of figured there was something bad to all of this. I don't want to be that guy that screws up for being stupid. He wants to pay me extra to bring it to him, so if I take it to border and meet him there, what kind of dollars is he looking at to get it across the border legally? As in the taxes and fees he will have to pay. Boat is worth 25k U.S.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Is there a trailer with it? What year the trailer is? Because the trailer can be the biggest headache for him.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've purchased 3 boats in US and brought them to Canada. That creates no problem whatsoever. But if you bring the boat into Canada and sell it to canadian that may create a lot of problems to him. One of the boats I was going to purchase was american, but stored in Canada, and after doing some research on the net I found that it should be brougt back to US before I can purchase it.

On the money Aviator 5.

Fees depends on which province you are bringing it into as not all have the same taxes. Age of boat and trailer are also factors.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Thanks guys for all the responses. I kind of figured there was something bad to all of this. I don't want to be that guy that screws up for being stupid. He wants to pay me extra to bring it to him, so if I take it to border and meet him there, what kind of dollars is he looking at to get it across the border legally? As in the taxes and fees he will have to pay. Boat is worth 25k U.S.

He will have to immediately pay G.S.T (tax) which is 5% of the purchase price (converted to Cdn. dollars). There may be an additional processing and transfer fee due at the border as well to the tune of a $100-200 bucks.
He will need the correct and full title for the boat AND the trailer. A signed bill of sale will suffice as the receipt so long as the price appears to match the boat. If not, they will charge him according to a market value reference they have.:eek:
When he registers the boat in the province he resides, he will then have to pay that provincial sales tax...but that is not a border/import issue that is simply a local purchase issue.
All of that said,....it is HIS responsibility to take care of all this stuff and paperwork in my opinion. All you have to do is supply him with the paperwork I mentioned and send him on his way. Note, the paperwork HAS to be the originals...no photocopies or versions thereof.
Negotiating to meet and drop the boat somewhere near the border is a real bonus for him...or any buyer in my opinion.
Don't worry about the border on your behalf, the border import 'guys' will only be interested in him and his end of it...he is the Canadian buyer and it is his responsibility to see the deal thru...not yours.;)
Good luck
BP:):cool:

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Here in Ontario they charge both taxes at the border. And I concur that bill of sale value should match the market value of the boat, othervise they may just go with their own evaluation, or they may give a hard time to the new owner.
I wouldn't bring a trailer that is newer than 15 years, too much hassle with RIV, not worth it.
Age of the boat doesn't matter.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If he can't tow the boat he could fly to the us and pay you.... then ride back home with you and deal with paperwork at the border..... if then for some reason he doesn't do the needed paperwork you dump him and the boat and head home

Bull_n_rut

Cadet

Thanks guys:) Sounds to me like I will give him a call back and let him know I will meet him on the U.S. side of the border. He can pay full price and the extra money he was going to pay, he can use it to pay the taxes at the border. I have no desire at all to deal with or try to find a loophole with the Border Patrol. Those guys don't screw around. Especially since it would be at the BC border crossing and the Olympics are going on so everyone is a terrorist:) Thanks again for all the help guys!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget, cash only, no money orders or fake cashier checks.

Bull_n_rut

Cadet

Ya that's what worries me too. Cashiers checks and money order can be scammed on to:redface:

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I guess the question comes down to can you trust him. I'd expect a bank draft at the very least, and I'd like to be with him at the bank when he gets it. Way too easy to sell him the boat for a worthless piece of paper.

And everything else said about bringing it across the border is bang on. He should be the one to do it, or at least be at the border with you. You don't want to be the one holding the bag for the taxes and fees when you try to go home.

Oh. And the biggest hassle I had with buying a boat from the US was the trailer registration. My problem was the trailer no longer had a visible VIN. It had a number on the paperwork, but no way to confirm it to the trailer. Had to get a new VIN re-issued. 3 trips to the broker (she was cute) and a trip to Cdn tire just for the trailer.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I smell a skunk in the woodshed. Meet him on at the border on the U.S. side WITH CASHIERS CHECK or BANK NOTE. OR tell him no deal.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

I've brought a few vehicles from the US into Canada. A trailer would qualify as a vehicle and the boat might also fall into that category.

The biggest obstacle is on the US side of the border. Before exporting a vehicle out of the US, US customs requires a copy of the title. They often want this a few days in advance of the border crossing, so that they can do various checks. I suppose they want to make sure that the item is not stolen or has liens against it.

Once you get through the US side, Canada is easy. Just pay the taxes and fill out the forms. The Canadian border people are friendly and welcoming, not like going the other way.