No PFD, usual results

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Don't expect a lot of comments, just a reminder. Jinx

from KDKA, Pittsburgh:

KDKA) MORAINE STATE PARK The search will resume this morning for a missing boater in Butler County.

George Sciullo, 60, of Rochester, Beaver County, fell overboard on Saturday at Moraine State Park.

Rescue boats, divers and search dogs have spent hours looking for Sciullo's body in the chilly waters of Lake Arthur.

Authorities say Sciullo was in the back of his sail boat and reaching for a rope when a strong gust of wind knocked him into the lake.

His girlfriend was reportedly in the boat with him but she didn't know how to operate it and it drifted away.

Sciullo was not wearing a life jacket.

heycods

Captain
Re: No PFD, usual results

I had my scare a couple of months back. I bought one of those light self inflating life vest for the wife and I, I havent went out without it since I purchased it.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

We have one Golden Rule on our boats....everybody has a jacket on ALL the time, and we only use PFD1's.
Had a family member visit once, (from Pommyland) who objected as it was too hot and his lady couldn't get an even sun tan....so we didn't go....he tried to 'counsel me', I told him to get stuffed.....they ended up saying yes....when we got out there, they took them off....so I didn't take them again.....and they complained bitterly.
If someone goes over, I want the recovery to be safe and organised and min of panic for whoever is in charge.

heycods:
the new jackets you have.
are they the blue ones you either inflate when in the water or self inflate when in water?
do you think you will be able to inflate them easily when in water in a panick situation?
will they be easy to re-load (assume they are on a Co2 cylinder).
Anita wants them, as it is terribly hot over here and wearing a PFD1 is uncomfortable.
Cheers
Phillip

Zim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do people not know how to swim anymore??

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Hard to swim when you're unconcious. My guess is he was knocked in by a swinging boom. Chilly waters severely limit your stamina. Take your pick.

heycods

Captain

Yes the Blue ones by stearns, they have a sensor in them to auto inflate, or you can manually inflate by pulling the rip cord. The retrofit kit to rearm them is about $14 here, the vest ran $92 at Wall Mart. Not cheap, but it got me to waring them. They are a little warm around the neck, but so much cooler that the regular lif vest we have.