No "beep" when key turned to on

2000 Merc 60 HP ELPTO 3cyl: no beep when key turned on. I want to get working so temp/oil beep alarms function.

Found the tan/blue stripe wire in engine, grounded it and "beep" sounded with key on. What do I do from here to figure this out?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: No "beep" when key turned to on

When you find out tell me. I have a similar problem with a Quicksilver 3000 RC. It works, but it doesn't work. Possibly it just squeaks and I can't hear it. Son had a horn and dash light and I could see the light wink on his but couldn't hear it.

Mark

Texasmark, you might test your beeper. Mine was under the dash, a little round red beeper sitting among the wiring. I pulled mine out and tested it using my battery. It worked, but wouldn't if negative/positive were reversed....so it's possible to install backwards and not work.

Everyone else's beeper problems involve unwanted beeps. Mine is just the opposite (mute), so I've found no answers yet. I'm thinking there is some "alarm module" in the engine that might be bad. Somebody, anybody, help!

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class

as far as i can tell this motor does not have that function,it has no oil warning module.the horn will beep when the oil is low in the resv or when it overheats,as long as the sensors are good.if there is one it does not show up in the serv. man. or the parts book.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

shouldn't it beep when key is on before starting?

It's supposed to beep when you turn the key on. This is a self test. If everything is good it stops after a second or two. If the original poster put the temp switch to ground that would be the same condition as when the alarm would sound.

Most commonly the cause is voltage on the accessory (purple) wire when the key is off.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Texasmark, you might test your beeper. Mine was under the dash, a little round red beeper sitting among the wiring. I pulled mine out and tested it using my battery. It worked, but wouldn't if negative/positive were reversed....so it's possible to install backwards and not work.

Everyone else's beeper problems involve unwanted beeps. Mine is just the opposite (mute), so I've found no answers yet. I'm thinking there is some "alarm module" in the engine that might be bad. Somebody, anybody, help!

Thanks Chris,

Mine is like that, just the round beeper tie-wrapped onto the loose wiring beneath the control box. I bought the boat used and that is how it was installed. Maybe on a day like today (cold, rain, thunder) I'll have a look and see if it is in backward.

Mark

I called the Merc technician hotline. It turns out Merc stopped using the beep-on-startup for select engines in 1997, then brought it back in 2004 or so ("by customer demand"). My engine was on the list, so apparently it's working as intended. TexasMark, you might call them to see if your's is too.
Chris

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I called the Merc technician hotline. It turns out Merc stopped using the beep-on-startup for select engines in 1997, then brought it back in 2004 or so ("by customer demand"). My engine was on the list, so apparently it's working as intended. TexasMark, you might call them to see if your's is too.
Chris

Thanks man for the consideration. Actually you just saved me some needless messing around. My engine is a 2002 so it looks like I stepped through the window and mine is working as designed.

I do know it works because on my first trip out with this new-to-me boat, I encountered overheat alarms because (later discovered) of a frozen shut tstat.

Mark