Foot position on the board

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer
I'm trying to get a feel for the optimal foot position on a board. I know it depends on the rider, but I feel like I'm being pulled and not riding, if that makes sense. When I first started, I felt I had too much weight towards the front and so I moved my back foot back a little. Now I feel like I'm plowing too much water. I'm 5'7", 190lbs. Should I have a bit wider stance both front and back?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Foot position on the board

You should be in the middle of the board with your feet at and angle that feels good

As you get better and start turning you will have to be able to board with your natural foot in the front OR back :)

Tommays

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

So what I've noticed in some videos online is that the riders appear to have their feet pretty far apart on the board, with both feet slightly flared. I have both mine flared, but I might be too far back. Make sense? I wonder if I need to move my back foot forward a bit more, or move my front foot further forward?

bmal

Cadet

Have you feet comfortably shoulder width apart, and "ducked" out slightly. If you are just starting, set up slightly back of center which will be easier. Move to center when you start switching. This is what I do but it is personal preference.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

I moved both my feet out this time, slightly ducked as before, and I felt I had a lot better balance and "forgiveness". It was pretty rough out yesterday with all the boaters, but we waited a while and towards the evening it was smoother and I got a good ride in. Doing it again Tuesday.

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd never considered the option to vary the lateral position of the boots individually, but I don't like the idea of one foot being forward/back on the board more than the other. I just see it as 4 stance width options, with some bindings allowing for slight width adjustmens having slots in one side of the base plate.

My brother and I are both about 5-11, and about exactly the same skill level. He rides with the widest stance possible, with a lot of toe-out. I am second set of holes from the inside, with a slight toe-out.

It really just depends on what feels right to you.

salty87

Commander

you said you felt like you were being pulled and not riding...are you keeping the line in close to your hip? if you let your arms get extended, you'll feel like you're getting pulled.

i keep my boots positioned equally distant front-to-back and adjust for plowing or not with my weight.

Holy Smoke

Cadet

Had you mentioned what your speed was? raise it one mph should help releave some of the pull without feeling to sqirrely. Are you leaning back hard? Maybe lean toward boat a hair so as not to plow. You'll get it with time. Wait for the flat water. Then ski your legs off.

vanpcnguyen

Cadet

Hello, I am brand new to wakeboarding. I have a 96 Sea Doo Twin rotax jet boat, and a generic board. I was wondering if someone lives in the Miami/Dade or Broward is also interested in wakeboarding would like to share the expense and fun with me? I have gotten on plane several times, but it's so much different from snow boarding.

Best regards
Van Nguyen
vanpcnguyen(a)yahoo.com