Old Electric start Evinrudes

Jack Mears

Seaman
I have 1959 Evinrude Lark 35hp and a 1959 18hp twin. Both have sockets on side of engines.
Lark model #35517
18hp model #15028

Where can I find the cable connector plugs and associated wiring for remote start, choke, kill buttons, etc. Not the internal engine wiring but the external wiring from battery and above controls.
I've looked for the plugs etc. on the web and have came up with zero.
I'm looking for new or used.

Any ideas guys?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Electric start Evinrudes

I did not think those motors had quick disconnect electrics. The electric umbillical was two battery cables, two generator wires, an ign killer wire and an overheat wire, in a sleeve. The starter solenoid and voltage regulator were in a box that mounted on the transom. I do not know if those motors have an electric choke or some sort of automatic choke.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

your best bet may be a donor engine of the same year and model,there,s lots of them out there.

MudLake

Seaman

I asked this question last fall with no reply.
My research lead me to conclude

This is the configuration on my 1961 johnsons with electric start and choke but no generator for battery charge.

Bottom middle pin
1: choke lead

Two top pins are
2: and 3: are the positive side of coils to give you RPM gauge and on/run or short them together to stop engine from key console.

two bottom large outside pins
4: and 5: are the large plus and minus 12 volt for starter.

Is this an accurate picture of the plug???????????

----------
/ o o \
/ o o o \
--------------
cheers

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

.01% finding a good one. you will have to make your own.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

.01% finding a good one. you will have to make your own.

Just picked up a '59 35 HP Seaking which included a harness in perfect condition. Paid $50!

Mas

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mas , great deal, rare exception.

jasper60103

Commander

I have one in the garage from a lark. The connector and harness is there, and maybe it's salvageable?? I never tested it.
I figured I would find a good home for it at an old
outboard meet one of these days.

cabling_sh.jpg

starter_solenoid_sh.jpg

SDC12372.jpg

Jack Mears

Seaman

Hey Jasper-
That looks like what I need. Do you want to sell it?:)

Jack Mears

Seaman

I scored today with an old beatup external electric plug and wiring for my 59 35hp lark! It ain't no cherry but I can make it work. Not as good as Jaspers, for sure.
$100.00 from CJs Marine in Marysville, Wa.
Happy days!!

jasper60103

Commander

I scored today with an old beatup external electric plug and wiring for my 59 35hp lark! It ain't no cherry but I can make it work. Not as good as Jaspers, for sure.
$100.00 from CJs Marine in Marysville, Wa.
Happy days!!

Those things sell for that much?!
Glad it worked out for you.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

They do when they haven't been made in 50 years ...

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

They do when they haven't been made in 50 years ...

I've got an old Marantz integrated amp that I just realized may go for 300 to $400 on Ebay. An article in the Wall Street Journal tipped me on the demand for old, quality audio equipment, and I was toying with yard selling the thing, assuming (incorrectly) there was no demand.

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to bring up an old post, but too much good info here.

Jasper - I have that exact same motor/harness that I'm trying to get hooked up.

Is there a kill switch incorporated in this setup? Is that push-button a kill or push to start?

Also, the 2 small wires connected to the solenoid - does it matter which one goes to the left or right?

jasper60103

Commander

I never used this wiring harness, but it looks like it was wired to a key switch and one time. Then later jumpered with a push button (I assume the key switch failed).
Hopefully this wiring diagram can answer your other question regarding the solenoid. The short answer is yes, it does matter though.

28sch_NG.jpg

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the schematic. That really helps.

I somewhat answered my question about what the extra pushbutton does. It's a momentary continuity switch that is wired to the 2 "M" lugs. When I jumper those, it acts as a cutoff switch. Not sure why that's needed though, when all you need to do is turn the key to "OFF". I'll upgrade to a modern kill switch with a lanyard.

On my setup, the small wires to the solenoid are reversed. I'll put them back to what your schematic has, and see if I don't blow something up.

Edit: It's odd, I just got to thinking about that push button switch - the old ignition does not have a push in to choke function, but the one I'm using does. I'd bet that at one point mine (and maybe yours) was used as a "push to choke" setup rather than a kill.

I'm on my way to buy a brand new "push to choke" ignition with 6 lugs on back. Mine is suspect.