engine coupler

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
after pulling my engine for a 2nd time with a starter problem I finially resolved it after 2 years it turned out to be the wrong starter /old owner did not replace a 9 tooth starter w/ another 9 tooth instead used an 11 tooth starter which sits 1/8 in farther away from the flywheel. However my question is this should I be concerned about the engine coupler due to age ? The boat & engine is a 1996 and the last thing I want to do is pull the engine again I was very careful not to change the allignment when we pulled the motor I did run it in the drive way w/ a hose but not under any load yet , I am having the allignment rechecked tomorrow by a dealer the right way Up to this point it has not given me any problems .

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine coupler

If the alignment checks out Ok, I would not worry about it....
10 years is not old for a properly aligned engine coupler.....:)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Any time you pull a motor, you should recheck the engine alignment. If you hadn't done it recently, you couldn't even say with a certainty that it was aligned before you pulled the motor.

EDIT: oops, I just saw that you were going to have it done. Good on!

Hey Haut! How's that 351 screamer comin'? Although you couldn't tell by today, boatin season is comin.

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also had it alligned the 1 st time I had it pulled

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Had it aligned or checked for alignment?
If you need to keep having the alignment changed you have bad stringer, transom or motor mount issues......;)