1961 75hp Johnson winterize ???

steelheadbob

Cadet
I just bought a boat with a 1961 75 hp Johnson, im in northeast ohio, so I had the guy put it in a barrel of water to make sure it starts and runs good.... But, seeing that its freezing out, how do i go about winterizeing the engine???? Its in my garage but still cold!!! Any tips would help, this is my first engine over 25 hp, normaly i take them in the house, but its just alittle to big... LOL Thanks
Oh, and also, when i got it home today, theres alittle pin hole on the left side of the lower case,,,,,,, dont know what its called, but I have this whitish/greenish milky stuff coming out... It smells like gas and has no metal flakes or any thing in it.. Is that gearlube leaking out after I stop the motor????

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1961 75hp Johnson winterize ???

To answer your question about the gunk coming out of the lower unit drain hole, it is likely just unburned fuel as you say. But one of the steps in winterizing is to change the lower unit gear oil. When you do, take a look at the oil that comes out. It should smell different and be a different color than the gunk coming out of the small hole.