What carb from where?

Black Orchid

Cadet
'87 Citation 1900cc, 4cyl. 3.0 130hp Merc. I don't have the numbers right now.

Carb needs to be replaced. I'm not going to spend $400 on a Holley carb for her, but would like a better and reasonably-priced alternative to the OEM Rochester 2bbl. If you have any ideas which carb and the best place to buy one, I'd like to know. Thanks.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: What carb from where?

there's really no upgrade for a 3.0L. Stick with the rottenchester (which works just fine) or the pricier mercarb (which performs no better than a 2GC)

Black Orchid

Cadet

That's all I needed to know. Not only that, but it's also the most economical way to go.

zbnutcase

Commander

And there is really no such thing as a cheap carb anymore. You can thank fuel injection for that. 'nutcase

cr2k

Captain

And DO NOT go to pep boys or somewhere like that and buy an automotive carb. Besides it being VERY unsafe and illegal your motor won't run very good.

haulnazz15

Captain

And DO NOT go to pep boys or somewhere like that and buy an automotive carb. Besides it being VERY unsafe and illegal your motor won't run very good.

The motor wouldn't run any differently than it would with a Marine carb. It's just not safe.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The motor wouldn't run any differently than it would with a Marine carb

Who knows how it will run. As who knows what an off the shelf non engine specific 2GC comes jetted with.

cr2k

Captain

Marine engines are NOT smogged so the carbs are jetted fatter and have a richer accelerator pump curve because the engine has a much healthier camshaft in it.

We have had several people balk at a $400+ marine carb and go to Pep boys and buy one for $150 then come back and want us to make it run right.

YES there is a difference in the carb besides the internal venting.
Just as a marine engine is different than a car engine.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

According to the Mercruiser part numbers, the two/four barrel 305 and the two/four barrel 350 uses the same camshaft (this example uses a 1987 model year).
That is quite a range of fuel delivery, two barrel 305 to a four barrel 350 (CFM).
So tell me how a "fatter jet" or "richer accelerator pump curve" will really affect the engine? Without using an exhaust gas analyzer, vacuum and RPM is all the adjusting available (as per Mercruiser maintenance manuals).
Your statements are too general.
Please provide more detailed information.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I doubt many auto parts stores keep a 2GC on the shelf anyway.
When was the last time that carb was used in the auto world? Back in the 60's i believe..
Just get a marine carb and be done with it.

The link i posted for the 2GC for 200 bucks is about as cheap as you are going to find.
I have bought probably 10 carbs from them at least and they are pretty much just bolt on and go with no to very little adjustments needed.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

Over the last year I've rebuilt a pair of Mercruiser 165 inline six motors. I had the carburetor rebuilt on one of them and it cost me around $CAD150 if I remember rightly. For the other I went to the local Lordco auto parts store with the correct Mercruiser carburetor part number from the parts catalog and they produced the matching remanufactured item straight off the shelf for $CAD120. It was correct in every detail including an owners sheet which explained that it was remanufactured for marine use only. I then provided them with the old fried carburetor to waive the core charge of $CAD25!
All in all I think that was a terrific deal and would do it again any time.

Thanks for all the good advice on this forum guys.

Best Regards:

Kilowatts