Anchor Lift With Multiple Lines?

Doolin

Seaman
Hi All,

I've been looking at a new anchor (don't currently have one for the new boat) and will be going with the Columbia River 'rocker' style.

Everywhere I've seen info on this type of anchor, they use the bouy with the puller 'lock' underneith. If you're not familiar with this type of setup there's a video of how they work here:

http://www.savvyboater.com/p-2116-anchor-lift-pro-heavy-duty-anchor-puller.aspx

It took a while for me to 'get' how the puller worked but it seems pretty cool now.

My remaining question is how are these used with multiple lines?

In researching the anchor, I found that the minimum 'line to depth' is 3-1 (i.e. 100' of water = 300' of line) to keep the anchor chain horizontal to absorb wave lift. I don't anticipate anchoring in more than 100' of water, usually way less... but figured I'd be prepared. So, If I've got 3 100' sections of anchor line (I don't want to have a single 300' line), how would you use the puller. It really doesn't look like a knot would pass through the puller lock.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anchor Lift With Multiple Lines?

Hi All,

In researching the anchor, I found that the minimum 'line to depth' is 3-1 (i.e. 100' of water = 300' of line) to keep the anchor chain horizontal to absorb wave lift. I don't anticipate anchoring in more than 100' of water, usually way less... but figured I'd be prepared.

You should be prepared to carry a lot more line!

Under some conditions, 3:1 in not safe to anchor with, and ideally, 7:1 is what the books and old salts recommend...

An anchor puller, as shown on the link, is intended to help pull the anchor, but does nothing to help secure the anchor to the bottom...no matter how much line you have...:confused:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

AGREED^
also If you want to use that thing then ya gotta one long rope

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

AGREED^
also If you want to use that thing then ya gotta one long rope

Yup. It looks like if you have any knots or splices in your line, the thing won't work.

Somehow things work so well on the promotional videos....:)

Doolin

Seaman

You should be prepared to carry a lot more line!

Under some conditions, 3:1 in not safe to anchor with, and ideally, 7:1 is what the books and old salts recommend...

An anchor puller, as shown on the link, is intended to help pull the anchor, but does nothing to help secure the anchor to the bottom...no matter how much line you have...:confused:

Yes... I've found the same thing (7:1 as the maximum), but many times, that's just not practical. I'm not concerned about holding power though. I also researched holding power and the anchor I chose is rated hold a boat twice as long as mine, in 55 knot winds. I don't plan on boating when I'd need more holding power than that.

If anyone has used this type of puller... with multiple lines... I'd be interested in how you do it. I really don't want to have to deal with 300' of line when I typically anchor in under 30' of water.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

As mentioned above, that puller won't work with the lines spliced together. You'll need on continuous 300' line which you can buy at Fishermans Marine in Portland.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I couldn't resist.... sorry
2004022600090901.jpg

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very funny...all in the congenial spirit of the forum...:)

Doolin

Seaman

As mentioned above, that puller won't work with the lines spliced together. You'll need on continuous 300' line which you can buy at Fishermans Marine in Portland.

It will work... with 3 pulls unting knots twice or using the ring type lifter, which I'd rather not use since you've got to get all the way to the chain for it to hold.

I get that there are plenty of people ready to say that the possible is impossible... but I was hoping to hear from someone that HAS found a better way.

So Seon... are you by chance a commissioned salesperson at Fishermans Marine?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

my thought is this..... too much work..... use a 100' line most of the time..... then keep a 200 footer around (stowed just in case) ..... if the water is 90 feet deep you should be able to get to your 100' line to put the bouy on and retrieve... then you also have the 200' to add for some anglein the line....

You only need the buoy to retrieve the line required to reach the bottom...

Doolin

Seaman

my thought is this..... too much work..... use a 100' line most of the time..... then keep a 200 footer around (stowed just in case) ..... if the water is 90 feet deep you should be able to get to your 100' line to put the bouy on and retrieve... then you also have the 200' to add for some anglein the line....

You only need the buoy to retrieve the line required to reach the bottom...

That's close to what I had in mind. If no one has found a good way to use multiple 100' lines, I'll get a 100' & a 300' and use one or the other.

>>You only need the buoy to retrieve the line required to reach the bottom...

I'd disagree with that point. If the anchor is holding well... if you've got 300' of line out... you need to pull the boat 200' against waves, current (especially in a river) and wind to get to the point you can start lifting the anchor. With the puller... you just 'drive over' the anchor spot and continue driving until the anchor is at the surface... and you've got 1 3' lift of the anchor into the boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well I certainly agree that it would be less than ideal.... I figured one could motor past the anchor spot and let the wind and waves bring you back to it..... ultimately though you have to use one rope.... the tying untying thing you mentioned above would be even more of a pain than my suggestion..... My idea was only because you insisted on multiple lines..... 300' of rope in a bucket or I use a milk crate is no more cumbersome than 100'

either way... good luck