Drive shaft for alignment bar?

kellydee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took the drive shaft off of my outdrive.Can I use it to check alignment or is there a benefit to useing an alignment bar?Does the alignment bar insert farther or is it just longer out the back makeing it easier to handle?Merc 5.7,alpha.

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Re: Drive shaft for alignment bar?

It's longer out the back and can accomodate several different outdrive/engine configurations. You can use the driveshaft if you want to. It may be hard to reach all the way in with your hand to seat it, though. Remember, smooth in, smooth out.
--
Stan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

About the only thing the splined drive shaft will tell you is if you are dead on or not.
With an alignment bar, you can put grease on it and try to insert it into the coupler and tell by the pattern which way you need to move the engine to get the alignment just right. Not something you can do with the drive shaft.

You can usually find a bar on ebay for about 40 or 50 bucks. Not worth the hassle or risk a $350 coupler for that.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can rotate the alignment bar since there are no splines. This is helpful when you adjust however if your just checking to see if it needs aligned the shaft should work fine. It should slide in and out easily without the "o" rings in place.

kellydee

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it possible for the alignment to be off side to side rather than up down if the rear bolts are in?Should be good,Right?Also what about one side being higher or lower than the other?Should the mounts(front)be same height off stringers?I had to remove the center lifting bracket for installation of after mkt cooling system.can't really lift from dead center now.Have to go but will return in couple of hours.Thanks in advance and for all advice. Jerry

Don S

Side to side shouldn't be a problem, this is where an alignment bar is handy, to make sure you don't have the engine pushed off to one side or the other.
Trying to measure off the stringers isn't good, while they may be close to the same height, they usually are off a little bit. just try to keep equal weight on each front mount. Get everything aligned BEFORE putting the lagbolts in the motor mounts to stringer. Then after the alignment is on (or at least very close) drill and install the lag bolts. Then do the final alignment checks. This way you are sure everything is where it should be.

kellydee

Petty Officer 1st Class

It appears the best fit is with the motor mounts all the way down.This doesn't make sense to me since the old motor had about 3/4" adjustment left.I did change the transom assembly but,if it moved at all I don't see how it could have been much.Same holes.The flywheel housing does have the newer style mounts with the knurled ends on bottom but I didn't use the springs per instructions.Any ideas?

kellydee

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did see in the merc instructions there is a kit to use when you cannot lower the front mounts enough to align and still maintain 1/4" for future adjustment.I think the kit consists of two small spacers which go between the flywheel housing mounts and the transom assembly.I just don't understand how I could need this since the old mounts still had around 3/4" adjustment.Are these really "special spacers" or glorified washers?

Don S

If you looked at those spacers you would call them washers, can't tell you what the thickness is though. But like the instructions said, if you can't lower the front of the engine enough (and it sounds as though you can't) then put in the spacers....... So what's the big deal? Put em in.

kellydee

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would just put em in if I had that"optional spacer kit'in my grasp.Just thought something might not be right since the old mounts still had adjustment.Had a real fun time yesterday,the marine center rented me the wrong alignment bar.took HOURS of trying before I got the bright idea to check the tool on the OLD coupler laying in the shop.Guess I don't need to tell you but,it fit the gimble bearing but not the coupler.Nice!! Anyways tomorrow I'll see about getting some washers.Would stainless be the ticket here?

Don S

Not sure what that other alignment bar went to, all the OMC, Merc, and Volvo that use couplers and gimbal bearings take the same bar. The real OLD Merc bar wouldn't go into a Gen II or Bravo coupler far enough so they had to machine part of it longer, but it would go in. ALL the couplers have the same size splines, on all makes.

'll see about getting some washers.Would stainless be the ticket here?
Sure, just make sure you get them the proper thickness so you will be able to align it.

kellydee

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don.Just had a friend come over and took him out to show him where I'm having problems.Pulled the bar out and showed it to him and said"see,it's supposed to go in here and then"PLOP,darn thing practicly fell into place by itself.UNBELIEVABLE!Bummer is,manuel says if aligned and not at least 1/4" adjustment,use the kit.Tomorrow I'll call and see if I can get the kit just so I use the right thing.If not ,we'll see.maybe washers ,maybe wait for the kit.Thanks alot and I,ll let you know how this all turns out.Don't know if you remember but,I'm the one a couple months ago put my already ordered motor on hold to ponder the injected model.Ended up with the carbed model and a new transom assembly.I was gonna rebuild it but I got the transom assembly on ebay for $1450.I figured for the money,ALL new ,lines ,cylinders ,everything and less of what I have the least of(time)ok I'll do it.Bit the bullet and ordered an outdrive from SEI as well.No problems with the old one but figured it has the same 10 years on it as everything else and I would just like to enjoy the boat when I actually have time to take it out.Plus,I tend to venture a ways out(42 miles last year)and I couldn't put a price on feeling safe that far out.Thanks again for all your time and I'll update on this project. Jerry