Garmin 192C

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I have a Garmin 192C and wanted to update the software and maps.

I tried connecting to the computer to the unit with no luck. I am connecting the compter thru a USB to Serial cable, pins 2 and 3 connected to the blu& bron wires or the white & green wires. The computer does not seem to recognize the GPS.

Hoping someone has some insight.......going to call Garmin tomorrow.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Garmin 192C

Tony,

I have a Garmin 185 so I'd like to hear how this comes out.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have the Mapsource software loaded? That gives your 'puter ability to recognise Garmin units.

JB

Well, the updater should allow you to update the software by downloading directly to the unit. I think you need Mapsource to manipulate any maps.

I would get on the Garmin website and talk to Tech Support (which is not in S Asia).

Good luck. :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There is no PC interface on the 192. It's only interface to the outside world, except NEMA 0183 strings, is via data card.

Another major feature of the 192C is its Marine Updater functionality, allowing you to continuously update its software after it has been mounted to your boat. Marine Updater is a Windows-based PC application that works in conjunction with a Garmin USB card reader, a Garmin data card, and an Internet connection to generate software update cards for your fixed-mount Garmin marine products. The Marine Updater will download all necessary updates and write them all back to the data card, providing you with a custom-programmed software-update card which meets your specific needs.

JB

Datacards only? Bleah!! Glad I haven't had a 192c.

One of the things I have enjoyed most with my Garmins is talking with them directly from my keyboard via Mapsource and moving historical data (waypoints, routes, maps) from one to another and/or storing them in the 'puter for later use.

That includes GPS38, GPSMAP12, GPSMAP 162 and my current GPSMAP 276c

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Yup.....I spoke to Garmin this morning. Can't connect to a PC. Can only be updated through a memory card.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Datacards only? Bleah!! Glad I haven't had a 192c.

One of the things I have enjoyed most with my Garmins is talking with them directly from my keyboard via Mapsource and moving historical data (waypoints, routes, maps) from one to another and/or storing them in the 'puter for later use.

That includes GPS38, GPSMAP12, GPSMAP 162 and my current GPSMAP 276c
I had a GPSMAP 162 that had a PC interface. Had to take the unit out of the boat or bring the computer to the boat. Inconvenient to say the least. And did I mention slowww??.

The new units all use an SD cards for data transfer. I bought a 2 gig card ($13) to use with my systems. Beats the heck out of the PC interface. SD cards goes in slot on GPS and the reader ($9) plugs in an USB port on your PC. A single SD card can easily carry 10 years of GPS data.

Triton II

Commander

I had a GPSMAP 162 that had a PC interface. Had to take the unit out of the boat or bring the computer to the boat. Inconvenient to say the least. And did I mention slowww??.

The new units all use an SD cards for data transfer. I bought a 2 gig card ($13) to use with mine systems. Beats the heck out of the PC interface. SD cards goes in slot on GPS and the reader ($9) plugs in an USB port on your PC. A single SD card can easily carry 10 years of GPS data.

Spot on - I have a GPSMAP 550S which uses a SD card... it works beautifully - did the latest area update just after Christmas - it took less than 15 minutes all up, so much easier than taking the lappy to the boat but then again different strokes for different folks... :D