1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Good lookin' transom jas. The patch looks really well done too. :)

Triton II

Commander

Especially since you guys are seeing everything up side down!:D

I know old right.

Seeing upside down has its advantages - like good weather, warm water and lots of fish! Now I've just got to learn how to catch them. :D

I like the black and white paint scheme, but then again my avatar told you that already...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure the black and white is gonna fly with the "new school" look...

...my 4-year-old son just told me that this Islander looks "black and white...like in the old-fashioned days" LOL :D

I show him pictures of starcrafts once in a while and ask him which ones he likes;)

That is good stuff Huron! A couple of days ago when you were asking about seating Ryan (nearly 4 yo) came out while I was working on the rig and told me where/how to put the seats....

"Hey Dad, you should have the kid seats back there (pointing to the stern/doghouse area) and the Dad seats over there (pointing to the helm area). Does that sound like a good idea?"

I said, "Ryan that sounds like a great idea buddy!"

I am thinking you can tell your offspring that he has a good eye because we are calling that...

"CLASSIC NEW SCHOOL"

Best of the old meets the best of the new, classic eh!

Cheers Buddy!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Good lookin' transom jas. The patch looks really well done too. :)

Thanks ts!

Well the patch is actually a little crooked and the skin is warped some due to the weld. I thought those things would bother me but I'm good with it. The warp should flatten out when I bolt up the transom. I am sanding the weld as smooth as I can without compromising the bead. That, plus the paint job, I am hoping will just have the patch job just sort of blend in and go unnoticed unless you would be standing close.

:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Seeing upside down has its advantages - like good weather, warm water and lots of fish! Now I've just got to learn how to catch them. :D

I like the black and white paint scheme, but then again my avatar told you that already...

I was banking on that black on white scheme really being a game changer in the fish catching area!!! I totally thought putting fish in the cooler had to do with how cool my boat looks! NO??!! Ah, rats.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

To lay it out in black & white ;) terms...fishing is easy when you know how to use cut & paste with photoshop :eek::D....besides, nothing beats being in a 'cool' looking boat, skunked or not! :cool:

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks ts!

Well the patch is actually a little crooked and the skin is warped some due to the weld. I thought those things would bother me but I'm good with it. The warp should flatten out when I bolt up the transom. I am sanding the weld as smooth as I can without compromising the bead. That, plus the paint job, I am hoping will just have the patch job just sort of blend in and go unnoticed unless you would be standing close.

:D

I wouldn't call mine perfectly straight either, and I don't even have a patch! I imagine it will be okay. :)

This gets me thinking about the possibility of water getting trapped between the transom skin and the wood though. I can't seem to come up with any good solutions, other than making sure to "cap" the top of the transom and the wood to try and prevent water from going down between. In your case I think you'll be relying on the top decking?

Are you planning on anything to try and mitigate that?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't call mine perfectly straight either, and I don't even have a patch! I imagine it will be okay. :)

This gets me thinking about the possibility of water getting trapped between the transom skin and the wood though. I can't seem to come up with any good solutions, other than making sure to "cap" the top of the transom and the wood to try and prevent water from going down between. In your case I think you'll be relying on the top decking?

Are you planning on anything to try and mitigate that?

Well...

I plan on drilling some "drain" holes in the bracket that holds the transom to help drain anything that may get in there. For the top I plan on lots of coats of epoxy! I also plan on priming and painting the transom skin (inside) to assist in curbing any corrosion there. I think that is pretty much all I can do, which is actually way more than how this boat left the Starcraft factory! I think it should be good!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

To lay it out in black & white ;) terms...fishing is easy when you know how to use cut & paste with photoshop :eek::D....besides, nothing beats being in a 'cool' looking boat, skunked or not! :cool:

Yah, I am with ya there! Heck, I am just pumped to be on the water with my family. Fish are always just a bonus! And of course the fish dinner that goes with it! I'm hungry for walleye.:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So I am moving into epoxy phase and have been doing a bit of research. West, even though they are local for me and I would love to use their product, is too rich for my blood. Way too rich.

I keep coming back to US Composites...

http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

6.6 gallons of epoxy resin (5 gal resin, 1.6 gal hardener), plus pumps for about $250. I don't know what that would weigh but I am guessing $40 to ship.

Good deal???

Should I be looking at something else???

Seems like I am reading good reviews, any input from you guys would be appreciated!

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

So I am moving into epoxy phase and have been doing a bit of research. West, even though they are local for me and I would love to use their product, is too rich for my blood. Way too rich.

I keep coming back to US Composites...

http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

6.6 gallons of epoxy resin (5 gal resin, 1.6 gal hardener), plus pumps for about $250. I don't know what that would weigh but I am guessing $40 to ship.

Good deal???

Should I be looking at something else???

Seems like I am reading good reviews, any input from you guys would be appreciated!

I have never had an issue with their products.

mytquinn

Cadet

+2
I paid $80 in shipping to Colorado, and still was cheaper than anyone else, for even more product.
Also, one of the containers was damaged, and lost 1/2 a gallon. They requested a photo, I emailed them one, and they reimbursed me the value of the loss. I will definitely be using them again.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have never had an issue with their products.

^ +1 same here!

+2
I paid $80 in shipping to Colorado, and still was cheaper than anyone else, for even more product.
Also, one of the containers was damaged, and lost 1/2 a gallon. They requested a photo, I emailed them one, and they reimbursed me the value of the loss. I will definitely be using them again.

Thanks for the vote of confidence fellas!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Was able to get a little time on the inner transom skin tonight...

Before...
P1010805.jpg

After...
P1010806.jpg

Cleaned up pretty well. Primer, paint and a quality structure build should have this transom lasting another 35 years, I hope.

sprintst

Commander

Awesome. That boat is going to be kickass when done.

PS I'd go for the US Composites as well as I probably paid that much for half that amount.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks sprint! Oh, maybe someday she'll actually float again.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks good, nice and shiny...have you worn out your first wire wheel yet?:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks good, nice and shiny...have you worn out your first wire wheel yet?:D

Nope. I usually buy my wire wheels at Harbor Freight and go through them like crazy. I actually spent a little money at Lowes on this one and it still has plenty of life left. I suppose you get what you pay for even in wire wheels!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK guys, I am just about ready to place the order on epoxy and Gluvit, question...

Can I get away with the 2 lb kit or do I need to bump up to the 8 lb?

I think I remember you 18 footer guys having some left over with the 2 lb.