The R?surrection of the SeaGem

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: The R?surrection of the SeaGem

Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood, Thanks Steve and ProShadetree for your well wishes. Well it was a tough go, it even started raining on me once BUt Huston, we have ignition !!!!:D Just cause you asked for it Kev
SeaGem
SeaGem

Here is a link to a Video of her running Yippee!!!!

http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/yy135/hvacbill/SeaGem/?action=view&current=100_0322.mp4

OK, now the bad news, my sea water pump is leaking on the housing and the alternator is not charging :confused: Hopefully its a simple fix

For some reason the video sounds very tinny Trust me that is not what it really sounds like. It has a much deeper tone.

EDIT- no more adult beverages tonight :eek: I'm at that teetering point for it being good to being sick :eek:

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you have hit a great mile stone. Congrats. :D:D:D

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice work ..looks and sounds sweet ..

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wooo Hooo
THANKS!!!
Ya, I was going to comment on the bearing noise (?) or your water pump..But You said she sounds better than the vid does..
Great job, are ya going to pump out a pint of oil or so or let it be?

Take the tylenol NOW...Feel better in the AM bud..

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks Vert,
Thanks Pete,

Yep I'm a pretty happy camper. The one thing The one thing I am really upset about is , I would like to find the Mercruiser engineer that designed the exhaust manifold to were you can't get to the back bottom bolts on the valve covers without removing the risers !:mad: When primming the engine I went to but the covers on not to get oil all over. WELL, I couldn't get the back bolt in I had to remove the risers. Now to do a final adjustment I am going to have to pull the risers, put my cut out covers on, put risers back on, adjust the valves, take risers off, take valve covers off, put correct ones on, put risers back on Grrrrrrrrr :mad:. Man 1/2" more clearance would have meant the world.

But all and all it went nice :D. I do hate to say it and shutter to think about it but, I might have to pull her back out and adjust the oil pump. The gauge was showing 75psi at idle :eek: I am going to put a mechanical gauge on her tomorrow to see, I am hoping its just the gauge off.
What happened was, my bearing clearances were on the outside in their tolerance range. Seeing that the rear main has a lot to do with oil pressure I shimmed the pump a little to boost pressure, I think I might have gone to far, Oops, Ideally I want to see 40-45 psi

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Kev,
Actually it was a combo of loose valves & the power steering pump. For some reason the video magnified it big time. I had filled the pump but after running for 5 min it all circulated and sucked the pump almost to the point of cavitation ( saying almost is being nice lol)

Edit- Bearings :eek: bite your tongue, they are all brandy newy clevitte cl-77's

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HVAC Cruiser,
Nice video, Glad you cleared up that noise, I was wondering about it too.
As for the design and Clearance issues, I think one of our engineers from our corporate office use to work for Mercruiser. Some of the methods they use are as crazy as his.
Great to hear it running.
Good luck and keep the pic's coming.
Bob

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats Bill, it's all downhill from here on out ;) Finishing her up will be easier than getting a beer from TC :D {sorry TC couldn't resist :p}

sprintst

Commander

Nice progress. You'll get that engine purring yet.

It's always something that will get a perfectionist going. Maybe just put a piece of tape over the oil guage. :)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

OK, well another morning & another day of hoping it don't rain. I am going this morning and picking up a mechanical oil gauge. Initially I was just going to screw one into the block but now I'm thinking about just getting a nice 2" Autometer and installing it right in the dash replacing the electric one.

Next I am going to get those valves adjusted, I am hoping that it was just to many beers that caused me to have a problem with the back bottom valve cover bolt and I won't have to pull the riser off again. If I have to I will probably need to replace the riser block off gaskets :( Last but not least going to test the alternator and see if its the Alt or the wiring.

Here is what I am hoping for today:
1- that it was a bad oil pressure gauge
2- I can remove and replace valve covers without them breaking my chops
3- Loose / broken wire for the alternator

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to hear that fine piece of machinery running...nice work Bill:)

Hope it's just the gauge on the oil pressure!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Glad to hear that fine piece of machinery running...nice work Bill:)

Hope it's just the gauge on the oil pressure!

Thanks HA,

Well I adjusted the valves & put in a mechanical oil gauge, the electric was off a little. Running at operating temp 165 oil pressure is reading about 55lbs at 1500. Sill to much, right now I have her out there idling at 1500 to break things in. I am hoping the pressure comes down or else I pull it back out :( I do have a new stock pump untouched I can toss in if necessary

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Are you using 30w or are you using a multi-viscosity oil. I find 30w lowers the running oil pressure. My OMC requires 30w Im sure merc recommended it to.
Good looking engine hope it settles down and you don't have to pull her out

drewpster

Commander

I would be interested to know what the pressure is at idle after some break in hours Cruiser. You may find that it creeps in to the ballpark once she has had some run time. Are you using a HP/HV pump? 55lbs. Does not seem too high to me for a marine (constant load) engine. Especially since it is so fresh.

But then I am used to Ford.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Oil pressure at speed will be needed idle pressure is of little concern. If a engine has 10psi its good 8 psi shuts a light out in most applications, automotive or equipment. To much oil pressure will wash bearings out and is almost as bad as none. As long as your oil pump cuts out before 70 psi warmed up you will be fine. To much pressure could also cause filter failure

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey drewpster
Hey proshadetree

Yep oil pressure is to high, I was running 55 at 1500, at 4000 it was up over 85 :eek: . + even though I adjusted the valves I was still hearing something I didn't like.let it run about 4 hrs at 1500, after that I brought it up nice and easy to 4000 When I unloaded the engine it sounded like hell on the way down, rapping like a bi@#$h as a result the engine is back on an engine stand. I flipped it over, pulled the pump, pulled the bearing caps. I thought for sure I was going to find a spun bearing. Every bearing was picture perfect nothing is spun. I hate to say it BUT I believe I know what the problem is, I have heard that on roll down before, and I don't even want to think about it.

EDIT- rule of thumb for a SBC 10psi per 1000rpm

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

What are you thinking valve float?

What I heard on the way down was the piston slap :eek: . this was only a freshen, I re-used the old trw forgings. when I mic-ed everything up I found I was .0003 over spec, the machinist said it would be fine. I went against my better judgment and listened to him instead of going .030 over with new slugs. running at 165 deg the engine never gets hot enough to close the gap I used to run loose like that on my race cars but the temps where up there too.

I am mulling things over I might say sc#$w it and tear it down and punch it out

EDiT Im listening to it over and over from video I took with my phone it has better audio than my camera 2nd guessing piston slap and thinking wrist pin

http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/yy135/hvacbill/SeaGem/?action=view&current=VID00081.mp4

http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/yy135/hvacbill/SeaGem/?action=view&current=VID00078.mp4

As you can hear I was trying to talk myself out of the inevitable

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Well, the engine is completely torn down the 1st thing I found was this
IMG00517.jpg

That white line is what appears to be perforations in the exhaust manifold castings

Here is a shot of another manifold port
IMG00521.jpg

Again more perforations in the sand castings. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Water was getting into the exhaust ports on 3 cylinders starboard side

I checked the pistons, 2 showed signs of piston slap, all the wrist pins feel fine. Looking at the rod bearings the I did notice on the 3-4 & 5-6 it looked like there was some side play. I am really upset right now, I will break out the micrometers after I calm down a bit and check it out

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear about your problems. Im sure you will have it figured out in no time though.