Levee Jumping

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Levee Jumping

As one who has some first hand experience with busted levees, I think you are being dumb.

???

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

LOL so much criticism. Anyone giving you crap should just wonder why they are so upset over nothing.

I can think of a few hundred thousand people from New Orleans who would probably disagree with you.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can think of a few hundred thousand people from New Orleans who would probably disagree with you.

You personaly know a few hundred thousand people? How can you say these people would agree with you when you don't know them. You just can't just assume you know the answer to a few hundred thousand peoples minds.

Like I said before, keep jumping the levee, it looks like fun to me.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I would try to explain it to you, but unless you lived through what we did here and spent the last five years hearing the same opinions and issues being discussed by pretty much everyone you come into contact with, I don't think you would get it.

Bumping stuff into levees does cause damage, whether you understand that or not. Presumably, the one referenced here protects something, so it seems like not such a great idea to damage it. But hey, what do I know - I'm just a guy who has scores of friends who lost everything that they owned, not to mention family members, because of levee failures.

Carry on.

TexMojo

Seaman

It that was a levy, it sure was a small one. I was wondering more about what it would have done to the engine if the driver didn't time the raise correctly. Now, that would have been something for tape. Just kidding.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Or what will happen when someone eventually takes a "funny" bump and gets tossed out of a moving boat, with a still spinning propeller.

I don't think that the world should agree with me, just because I think this is dumb, but I sure don't have to agree with it.

???

skargo

Banned

Or what will happen when someone eventually takes a "funny" bump and gets tossed out of a moving boat, with a still spinning propeller.

I don't think that the world should agree with me, just because I think this is dumb, but I sure don't have to agree with it.

???

I agree with you, and so do many other responsible people. When I was bid into offroading we had to deal with people who didn't know the meaning of "Tread Lightly" which these guys also seem to have no clue about.

just_crsn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Levy Jumping

Re: Levy Jumping

Duck hunters have a mentality warped by too many cold mornings and leaky boots. They start by paying (or spending) to do something that ordinary people would only do for pay--leave a warm bed after a racuous night with the boys to go out in dark wet cold environs and stand around waiting for ducks to fly by. Running small boats in the cold and dark is about the most dangerous thing you can do. They are often at the mercy of weather and tides and can't return home whenever--they just have to ride it out sometimes. They do not hesitate to put their gear through the paces up to a level of abuse--just as they do their bodies. (I often think about some of the boaters around here who fret about scratches on the hull and paint wearing off the skeg, and how they'd react if they saw a boat being used for duck hunting).
So why do they do this? Like the dog's trick, because they can? Or some other primordial pull to the swamps, to shoot guns and build forts?

I can't answer it, but I ask it to myself throughout the season--as I have since I started 40 years ago! But I know a lot about boats, what they do when they work and what to do when they don't. (Last week I woke up on an island, 17' boat, gale winds, 30 degrees, alone, dead battery and cranky motor. made it home. went back a few days latter for 4 more days of it. it's what we do.)

Home Cookin, from one duck hunter to another...well said......those who dont or wont, will never understand ..... but those who do...... will :D

cribber

Lieutenant

Love the Beaver dam busting runs!!! That looked like crazy fun!!!

Comparing a 12 inch high levy to one that is supposed to protect a city is a little harsh... and doesn't bare comparison in my mind. I'm not trying to take away from the tragedy in NOLA, just comparing it to duck hunters doing what they do to get to the best locations.. well, we're entitled to our opinions.