Spring Maintenance List

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Spring Maintenance List

Also the gimble ring swres. Will those be obvious as to what I am to retorque?

Yes, they are the two bolts at the top of the gimbal ring. They are bolts with nuts, so you will have to get a box end wrench on the back side. These bolts clamp the gimbal ring to the steering pivot pin. If they loosen over the years, you can get side to side play in the steering, and it can wear out the ring.

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So for the shift cable. Do I need to (or should I) replace it when I do the bellows for it? Is it easy enough to do?

Do I need the bellows expansion tool for installation?

Thanks everybady for the help!!!

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So do I need to bellows expansion tool for the drive shaft bellows?
I think I am just going to replace the exhaust bellows with the tube since it is easier. Also replace the shift cable bellows. No shifting problems so no need to replace the cable, right? Also the impeller kit. With the bellows this is all pretty strait forward, right? I read about special tools and things needed to do the jobs. I am sure once I get the drive off it will be better understood, I just want to make sure I have everything I need to do the job without running around and buying this and that once I start.

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do I need the special tool for the shift cable? Can I do just the shift cable bellows? Or should I just do the cable since I am right there anyways? Is the cable easy enough to do?

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You don't need to buy the hinge pin tool - a 1/2" allen wrench will work.

How long does the allen wrench need to be? Will a 1/2" allen head socket work? The allen head sticks out past the socket part about 1 1/2".

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also for the shift cable there is a thin walled deep socket you need, some people make them others buy them. Once installed the shift linkage will have to be re-adjusted due to shorter(not stretched) cable length. So have those instructions as well, it can be a bit tricky but doable. Understand the shift interupter switch function and linkage adjustment as well they all need to be synced to work properly. If it shifts fine with no ratcheting, stiffness, etc ( a clunk on engagement is kind of normal for a merc. but not a volvo) you may not need to do it but thats your call. Check your trim sending unit and limiter switch if they are bad that would be a good time to replace them. Good luck

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also for the shift cable there is a thin walled deep socket you need, some people make them others buy them. Once installed the shift linkage will have to be re-adjusted due to shorter(not stretched) cable length. So have those instructions as well, it can be a bit tricky but doable. Understand the shift interupter switch function and linkage adjustment as well they all need to be synced to work properly. If it shifts fine with no ratcheting, stiffness, etc ( a clunk on engagement is kind of normal for a merc. but not a volvo) you may not need to do it but thats your call. Check your trim sending unit and limiter switch if they are bad that would be a good time to replace them. Good luck

It does shift fine. The only thing I can think of is every once in a while when I go to neutral it dies. I figured maybe coming down to fast. But every time it died I was pulling up to the dock and I was maybe using a little reverse or forward and back to neutral. I also noticed that there is a little rust on the back (smaller) end of the bellows and a white zip tie holding it on. I was getting a little water in the bilge last summer (not even enough to activate the float switch) and thought maybe it was that.

So does it sound like I should just go ahead and do the whole shift cable or does it make sense to just replace the bellows? Also I am going to order the mercury "installer tool" for the shift cable. That is what you are talking about right?

For the trim sending unit and limiter switch. Gauge shows trim good and have not had any problems with trim at all. Is there any reason to replace. Is there something else I should be checking?

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It does shift fine. The only thing I can think of is every once in a while when I go to neutral it dies. I figured maybe coming down to fast. But every time it died I was pulling up to the dock and I was maybe using a little reverse or forward and back to neutral. I also noticed that there is a little rust on the back (smaller) end of the shift cable bellows and a white zip tie holding it on. I was getting a little water in the bilge last summer (not even enough to activate the float switch) and thought maybe it was that.

So does it sound like I should just go ahead and do the whole shift cable or does it make sense to just replace the bellows? Also I am going to order the mercury "installer tool" for the shift cable. That is what you are talking about right?

For the trim sending unit and limiter switch. Gauge shows trim good and have not had any problems with trim at all. Is there any reason to replace. Is there something else I should be checking?

If your going to replace one bellow just do them all. the expansion tool is a must in my opinion. I gave a mechanic a $20 refundable deposit to borrow one for a day.