my install of the transom in 27 deg weather

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Me and supernova installed mt new transom today. Air temp 27 deg. With the help of a propane forced air heater. I was able to get the fiberglass temp up to 65 deg and the air inside the boat around 85 deg. Actually had to shut the heater off while mixing the epoxy so that it wouldn't kick off too early.

img_8107.resized.jpg

img_8115.resized.jpg

img_8112.resized.jpg

img_8108.resized.jpg

sprintst

Commander
Re: my install of the transom in 27 deg weather

Now that's commitment. Don't blow yourself up if the fumes ignite though.

a70eliminator

Captain

What a way to battle the elements!
I have this vision of two guys crawling out over the gunnels and falling to the ground, stumbling to their feet and falling down again overcome by fumes.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What fumes from the epoxy or heater? The propane heater burns clean. The west epoxy u can barley smell. Not too mention the the boat has numerous LARGE air leaks. Which allows alot of fresh air into the boat. Also this from west system epoxy website

"WEST SYSTEM epoxy resin and hardeners are classified non-flammable, because their flash points are greater than 200?F and they evaporate slowly. Furnaces, wood stoves, and other heat sources do not pose a serious fire hazard in the presence of epoxy vapors."

mikastorm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now thats hard core! You get my vote for Pa. redneck of the year. lol
Looks good.

Merry Christmas, John

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow Lime, I was wondering how you were going to make out with your project during this storm. Glad to see it didn't phase you! I'm too sore from shoveling to even think about working on the boat.

Friscoboater

Captain

I think he meant the epoxy fumes. If they build up in a small area and you get the right mixture of air.... BOOOM!

Anyway that shows some real determination. Nice work!

drewpster

Commander

WOW that's commitment...good job...keep up the good work! You will be boating before you know it!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I think he meant the epoxy fumes. If they build up in a small area and you get the right mixture of air.... BOOOM!
Ummmm, no. There were no discernable fumes whatsoever.

"WEST SYSTEM epoxy resin and hardeners are classified non-flammable, because their flash points are greater than 200?F and they evaporate slowly. Furnaces, wood stoves, and other heat sources do not pose a serious fire hazard in the presence of epoxy vapors."

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got some of the bulkheads layed out. Along with the engine stringers.

img_8217.resized.jpg

img_8215.resized.jpg

img_8213.resized.jpg

img_8211.resized.jpg

img_8210.resized.jpg

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ummmm, no. There were no discernable fumes whatsoever.

At the exit opening of a torpedo heater, the temp is hotter than 200. Don't believe it, place your hand right at the opening of one that's been running a while and see how long it last. Not much different than an open flame. All it takes is some fumes to run across the front of the heater.

That's where good ventilation comes in. As long as you have a lot of ventilation, the fumes get dispersed enough that it makes it very hard to ignite. There's still a chance, but it's reduced somewhat.

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd worry about oxygen deprivation or carbon monoxide poisoning from the heater in a small area.

If you're well ventalated you're probably ok.
If you get dizzy, get a head ache, or start feeling "off", get some fresh air.

mk

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No chance of that today. When i did the bulkheads and stringers it was almost 50 deg outside. T-shirt weather. Plus the heater wasn't going

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol....i love it.....thats boat building.......

erikgreen

Captain

At the exit opening of a torpedo heater, the temp is hotter than 200. Don't believe it, place your hand right at the opening of one that's been running a while and see how long it last. Not much different than an open flame. All it takes is some fumes to run across the front of the heater.

That's where good ventilation comes in. As long as you have a lot of ventilation, the fumes get dispersed enough that it makes it very hard to ignite. There's still a chance, but it's reduced somewhat.

Realistically he's more likely to ignite the polyester resin in his hull than the fumes from the epoxy. In order to get the fumes to a high enough concentration to ignite at the exit to the heater, he'd have to put a tub of uncatalyzed resin on a hot plate and bring it to near boiling, then plug the air holes in the boat to let it build up. He'd also be having trouble breathing and nausea before that happened.

If it did somehow build up enough to ignite, it would flash over once then go out... it's not like gasoline or something where the heat would liberate more fuel, the only fuel would come from the hot plate. So it would flash over, probably burning him briefly (like burning arm hair off in a camp fire) and maybe injuring him if he was inhaling at the time (assuming the nausea from the fumes didn't make him get out of the boat). Then the CO2 and other combustion products would hang in the air for a bit, and the cycle would start again.

Epoxy is really, really non flammable... the greatest danger from it is becoming sensitive to the hardener and getting eczema or similar problems.

The greatest danger to him in this case is knocking the heater over without noticing or letting it heat a section of polyester resin to an ignition point... once the hull ignites you'd best just get out of the boat, putting it out will be very difficult.

I'm impressed with the dedication it takes to do this in the cold outdoors... for my first season's work I at least had a garage to do this in, with a heater...

Erik

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well for me the cold doesn't bother me. I have free time now to get this project done. Come spring and summer i'd rather be spending my time on the water and not wishing i was on the water. I'm very carefull with the placement of the heater. I general run it an hour before i start working on the boat. Then i shut the heater off while working. then when i'm done epoxing i turn the heater back on then come back several hours later and shut it off. There is plenty of ventalation all thru the boat.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Guess I'm gonna have to stop whining about the weather:(

Looks good, nice work.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

UUMMMMM................NO. You obviously have never done this before or you wouldn't even be saying any of this. Yes, I know exactly how hot that heater gets....I've sat in front of it while working on THIS boat. I also have experienced the LACK of fumes firsthand..on THIS boat. Believe me...after we epoxied the transom in we sealed the boat up tight and left the heater running til it ran out of fuel.......guess what...no fire, no explosion....no nothing. We also did all the wetting out of the wood and transom inside the closed up boat, with the heater running, so there was A LOT of wet epoxy to give off fumes if it was going to. Still nothing. No headache, no nausea, no dizziness and no explosions or flame offs. And yes the heater does shoot live flame out the front of it. So in conclusion, thank you for your concern, but it is misplaced.